E-Filing for Year 2014

Hi Everyone,

My HR gave me income tax letter with the calculation of tax for the year 2014 and asked me to do e-filing.
As this is my first time, i found that first i need to generate e-filing PIN.

From LHDN website i found following link for PIN generation.
http://maklumbalas.hasil.gov.my/index.php?ky=3a2

On the PIN generation form they stated some requirements, one of them which confuses me is this.
"Pin Application must be made using email address registered with the IRBM. Applications using unregistered email address will NOT be processed."

I didn't know how i can register my email with IRBM.

I already sent e-filing PIN generation application, and their auto-generated email reply said that they will get back in 7 working days. But now its more than 7 working days and no reply.
My HR gave me LHDN number 1-800-88-5436 and asked to call them. I call them many times but either line was busy or if the line connects then they said that agent is busy....

Did anyone have information about how to generate PIN and do e-filing? Or any tax agency who can assist me in all this process?

Thanks!

Its better not to get involved with the online system and make a physical filing on the first occasion. After that you will receive better information on doing e-filing. Your HR should have the address where the form should be sent. It is not obligatory to do e-filing. Hasil like it because they can authorise payments over the system. As you will not be entitled to any refunds at this stage, it makes no difference.

It is not worth paying for tax assistance because it is so simple in Malaysia. But if you want you can go to the Chartered Insitute of Accountants website as they have copious lists of members.

Hi Gravitas,

First of all thanks a lot for your reply and suggestions!

I will ask my HR which office i should go. Do i need to visit any specific LHDN branch (which might link to my tax number etc...) or can visit any LHDN branch. In case of any branch, did you know which will be the nearest from Subang Jaya? else i will ask HR.

So you mean in my case it doesn't matter if i do e-filing or not? i will not get any benefit (tax return)?
Actually every month i receive a transport allowance (fix amount) along with my salary. The tax is deducted on the whole amount (salary + travel allowance). So my HR told me that travel allowance comes under tax exemption so if i do e-filing i will get the tax return. But they said i have to do the e-filing personally, company will not assist in it because its an individual process.

I am very new in this tax return, e-filing thing... didn't know the tax rules etc... so i am confuse what to do. Is it worth doing e-filing? do i really get tax return?

The form is just mailed in and no visit is done, because there is nothing to discuss at that stage. Its not mandatory to efile yet (have they translated the web app yet, because last time I looked it was only available in BM - the same as the actual tax form). Difficult to comment on the travel allowance, because the company should have known how to treat it without waiting for the tax filing. It would be part of the flat rate (25%) system as well when a person is non tax resident. It is compulsory to file a tax return and a good opportunity to set the record straight and prepare for tax refunds next year (filing for 2015) if a period of less than 182 days was worked in 2014.

The main website have language option for English. But in the section where the actual e-filing need to be done, i didn't find any English language option there.
In year 2014 i worked more than 182 days (worked whole year), so i am not entitled for tax return? Or its useless for me to do e-filing?

You must do  tax filing as its the only way to record your actual tax status. So you may be entitled to some refunds for 2014 if you were tax resident at some point i.e. you could have been charged 26% (the flat rate in 2014) for too long. You should have been paying graduated tax deductions for part of 2014. You will receive (as long as you put it on your form) the RM8k tax free allowance, as well proportioned over the tax resident period e.g. 3/12ths. File, but if you cant do it via E-filing, just fill out the form and send it in by mail.

I started working in malaysia from May 2013.
So it means i should do the e-filing, its beneficial for me...

It does not matter which way you file. The tax is treated the same way. Any tax refund may be handled more quickly, that is all. They write to you anyway to explain what they are going and when. There is a space on the form for bank account details to be added in case of refunds. I updated my previous post.

Thanks a lot for the clarification.
So you mean i can also file it manually (fill the form and mail to them). Did you know from where i can get this form? is it on website to download and print?

You HR should give you the form, I think its called "BE" (for foreigners only). Ask them first.  I will look among my files as I think I have one electronically).

Here is the BE form for 2012 to give you some ideas but you do need the 2014 version (this is in English as well)

http://www.hasil.gov.my/pdf/pdfborang/Form_BE2012_2.pdf

I will ask my HR. Again thanks a lot! :)

You can get the forms and handbook here

http://www.hasil.gov.my/goindex.php?jbo … mit=Search

Scroll down until you find the section on BE form.

Great share!
I will go through this. Thanks! :)

One issue is you should have filed a Tax Return this time last year for 2013? If you did not do so, you should do one now (i.e. 2013/14) as it will affect your current tax situation.

I have always done mine online and never any hassles. However best to get hr person help with first year as it is all in Malay. Do screen prints of the process and save for next year! (but pin only once)