Canoa

I couldn't find to old Canoa thread since the search feature doesn't seem to work on my phone.

I just purchased my 3rd Ecuador property. This time it's a building lot in Canoa. 416 sq meters on the main road just north of the river and a 3 minute walk from the beach for 15k. It has a partial ocean view, but will have a great view from the second and 3rd floors once I've built my house. We'll be renting an apartment across the street while we build. We are using a mistro from Cotapaxi after looking at the apartments he's currently building and the hotel he recently built. We were quoted about 40k to build a 3bd house with an additional 4 studio apartments for rentals. From my experience with Ecuadorian contractors, I expect the project to come in about 25% over the quoted price if I am dilligent and supervise the project. We are planning on starting construction next year. After furnishing the house and the 4 apartments, I expect to be at about 70k total investment.

I'm posting all this so prospective buyers can see what real prices in a popular Ecuador beach town look like when you take your time (it's 2 years now since I first visited Canoa) and do your research.

I believe the gated community across the street is the project owned by the Expat.comger Wanderingbears.

No golf course? No club house? No expat security wall? What about granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances, and imported chandeliers, huh? No mention of these necessities.

Pfft. We expats expect luxury finishes and the local riff raff on the other side of a substantial embankment.

;)

Congrats jessekimmerling, I'm really happy for you (and I really mean it), but I don't know how this gives people "real prices".  It's only the real price of what you want and what you consider being perfect for your needs, your dreams, your lifestyle, etc.

Gardener1 can laugh, but no doubt there's a value attached to being part of a golf community.  There's thousands of private golf communities in the US and elsewhere on the planet, so I think they are fulfilling a demand, like some people are looking to rent an apartment, so you need people who invest in renting apartments... 

Live your own dreams, I'll take care of mine without judging you. Enjoy!

Can this thread please not become another Las Olas argument?

jessekimmerling wrote:

We were quoted about 40k to build a 3bd house with an additional 4 studio apartments for rentals. From my experience with Ecuadorian contractors, I expect the project to come in about 25% over the quoted price if I am dilligent and supervise the project.

Really? As high as 25% Don't have personal experience in Ecuador, but from past experiences in Latin America I always figured in about 15% higher than quoted price, and about twice as long as time frame quoted. That's of course being diligent, supervising, and buying the majority of the supplies.

Not surprised that you mention price will be more than quoted price, but 25% seems like a fairly high premium on quoted price.

Jesse,

All the best on your new build. Love the Canoa area, May be time to invest in a surf board?

j600rr wrote:
jessekimmerling wrote:

We were quoted about 40k to build a 3bd house with an additional 4 studio apartments for rentals. From my experience with Ecuadorian contractors, I expect the project to come in about 25% over the quoted price if I am dilligent and supervise the project.

Really? As high as 25% Don't have personal experience in Ecuador, but from past experiences in Latin America I always figured in about 15% higher than quoted price, and about twice as long as time frame quoted. That's of course being diligent, supervising, and buying the majority of the supplies.

Not surprised that you mention price will be more than quoted price, but 25% seems like a fairly high premium on quoted price.

On a 40k build, coming in 25% over is just 10k more. 50k is, in my opinion, about as cheap as is possible for this particular project. The mistro under quoted. When you start building studio apartments the cost for all the bathrooms and kitchens starts to add up fast.

Be careful, a great view from 2nd or 3rd floor today doesn't mean you'll have it in a few years.

You have no control on urbanism.  Your neighbors can decide to built a 2nd or 3rd floor either.

We experienced that a few years ago in Reunion island.  Rented the house of a guy who saved all is life to build an amazing house with 180 sea view and infinity pool.  The front lot was supposedly impossible to built... Well two years after a guy came and erected a "jacked" house that sits literally in front of the pool blocking 70% of the view.

They are pros and cons everywhere.

Jesse!

This is Olga.  I have sent you and Grace / copy to my friend Steve two emails recently regarding the package you have brought back from  the States for me and i cannot get back from you... With no answer from you or from Grace.

I called Grace again... No answer as usual, a recording in Spanish saying one has to set up the voicemail....?? This is upsetting and ridiculous.
Please make this happen finally... I am sure u do talk to hour wife? .... I will be in Quito shortly.. So please get your wife to email me back with time on the 25-26 April i can pass by your house and collect my package... Otherwise... This kind thing that u intended to do... Turns out ....to be theft

I am very upset with how you and your wife a treating this matter

Olga

Olga,

Have you tried sending Jesse a private message?

Good luck

Olga, don't panic.

Jesse is traveling and in a transitional mode. He may be difficult to access for a bit. I talked to him at length last week.

Of course I don't know why you're having difficulty contacting his wife. But I feel sure you'll get your package, sometimes connections are just hard to make.

These kinds of expat/international package courier arrangements often don't go as smoothly as one would like. I've been there and done that too.

Remain calm.

@ OGA1 > Please note that you are  :offtopic:  !

If you have some questions to ask to the initiator, which are not related to this topic,  it would be best if you can contact him in private.
Let's try not to drift any threads off topic please.

Thank you for your understanding

Priscilla