Relocation

I am interested with the whole family to relocate to ecvadoru, I like it when someone gives advice, information we have, but local information is better.
We Czechs, but is currently living in Poland, we want to leave Europe and Ecuador is an excellent opportunity.

Hello J-Richard-J,

While awaiting for members to show up and guide you with their expertise.

I suggest you have a look at the Living in Ecuador guide.

It can be helpful as it offers guidance and proceedures to settle in the host country.

Good Luck!
Marjorie

In order to live in Ecuador each individual in your family would need a residency visa.

To view Ecuador visa information, visit this information page:
https://www.expat.com/en/guide/south-am … uador.html

Thanks for the answer  :dumbom:

@ J-Richard-J

No worries.  :par:

Most of us think of our own needs and lives, and then wake up to the fact that government bureaucracies actually rule the world. And they don't care about shitz except the security of their own jobs. Which entails being as inefficient and foot-dragging as possible.

Best wishes to your family -

gardener1

BTW, I've been to the Czech Rep. (a few years ago) and I would absolutely consider it to be one of the best places on earth to be living. For myself I would think it a privilege to be a Czech citizen and resident in these times. Fabulous and well run country.

I wonder why you would wish to leave? (just curious?)

gardener1 wrote:

BTW, I've been to the Czech Rep. (a few years ago) and I would absolutely consider it to be one of the best places on earth to be living. For myself I would think it a privilege to be a Czech citizen and resident in these times. Fabulous and well run country.

Having also visited and loved the Czech Republic, I can theorize. Perhaps the cold winters and the sense of instability and economic vulnerability caused by its proximity and history with Russia? Or, perhaps the poor income to real estate ratio.

jessekimmerling wrote:
gardener1 wrote:

Having also visited and loved the Czech Republic, I can theorize. Perhaps the cold winters and the sense of instability and economic vulnerability caused by its proximity and history with Russia? Or, perhaps the poor income to real estate ratio.

Cold winters?  :lol:

Income seemed on parity with the cost of living.

In my humble estimation of the places I have spent time in the last 15 years, the Czech Rep. and Estonia were the best run and most appealing places I have ever seen. Neither one has a retirement visa affordable for Americans. Believe me, I looked into it pretty closely.

I hope our OP comes back to voice his opinion on why he wishes to emigrate. I'm stumped.

Yeah, Eastern Europe in general is on my awesome list. I would have moved to Romania in a heartbeat if I thought I could pull it off, despite the climate.

Hi there,
I am also Czech and very proud.;-)
I left my country ten years ago though as the area of our beautiful motherland I come from was on about 25% of unemployment and rising. It hasn't got any better since. In fact it's worse. Average salary is an absolute joke in these parts. Prague is a different story and cant really be put in the same bag with rest of the country. Most of my family members worked all their lifes yet never ever have they been able to save any extra money. Only survive from one wage to next, borrowing inbetween sometimes. Yes there is upper class that live great life, own properties and all that but for "average Joe" family like mine and most of my friends it ain't that great. It is a stunning country with beautiful capital though and I always say to everyone: Please go visit and when visiting see Prague but also go check out other places and our countryside as It is gorgeous and well worth it...
I'm not into politics personally as it's frustrating for me to watch people openly lie to people but I certainly wouldn't think Czech is a well run country as most frustration I hear is bout corruption affairs that involve politicians and so called "Big Wigs". It happens a lot...
I left cos I dreamt of travelling around the world since childhood, something I'd never be able to do from my hometown sadly... It's worked out well for me as I've been able to see a bit of world and also help my parents back home but I don't even think bout going back to live there just now.
I'm moving to Ecuador with my wife and our lab Benji in 3weeks now and we can't wait for it..;-)
For our tiny self sufficient farm plan it beats Czech or Latvia hands down (pricing+climate specially)...
As for winters in Czech when I was litlle 25-30 years ago we had great winters. 2m of snow guaranteed almost every winter, -10*C, White Christmas and all that. Last decade has been not so good. The only snow is up in mountains but lower down we haven't had White Christmas in awhile... I wonder Why..???
Anyhow this the longest post I have ever written and I doubt people will read the whole thing but I wish everyone lovely day wherever you may be...;-)
Paz y Amor

Personally, I consider 2 meters of snow to be a terrible winter, but it might be because I've spent too much time in bitter cold places.

My favorite part of the Czech Republic was the countryside and the caves in the south.

I would guess that currently, without usual government manipulation of the statistics, 25% is a pretty average unemployment rate in 'developed' countries. Things are getting worse almost everywhere now, even in well run counties.

@Sponytom, I hope you find your contentment in Ecuador. I read your post and thank you for chiming in to the conversation. Come back again. Your voice is valued here - It is a big world full of little people who matter, we need all the input we can get.

Let us know how it goes for you!

jessekimmerling wrote:

Personally, I consider 2 meters of snow to be a terrible winter, but it might be because I've spent too much time in bitter cold places.

My favorite part of the Czech Republic was the countryside and the caves in the south.

I'm thinking the reason why we loved those winters so much was that we used to get real 4 seasons in a year and so to get this much snow for couple three months, knowing it's only for limited time made us appreciate and enjoy it...
And Im really happy you had a good time in Czech, it's always nice to hear people enjoy that bit of "our" beauty in the heart of Europe... ;)

Every coin has two sides, unemployment and health care, and education is at the average level. ,, Praha is a state within a state,, What is seen on TV is just part of the reality, politics is very bad. Proximity to Russia and now IS is a big security risk, labor writes one article it says,, from paycheck to paycheck,, and winter is really expensive.
The country is beautiful, but the problems are there, maybe not visible from the rest of the world.
My family wants to find a new life, more of peace and harmony, still does not want to rush somewhere without a goal.
Why migrate from the USA,, when he says we have the best country,, and from other countries as well.
when you answer a question I like to hear your opinions on Ecuador  :dumbom:

So I'm sitting here thinking about your post and of course I wish you well under any circumstances but I think you have not thought this thing through -

In order to emigrate anywhere you would need visas. Did you look at the visa links? The world is not kind to emigrant workers at the moment, there is a global oversupply of labor of all kinds. Would you qualify for an Ecuador work visa? Do you have any idea really?

Wages in Ecuador are very low. The public infrastructure is nowhere near the first world functionality you are accustomed to. So you would leave the Czech Rep. to work in a country that has poor public infrastructure and low wages and think to be better off than you are now??

Shakespeare said something like "A man who hath wife and children is held the hostage of fortune". Getting a work visa, getting visas for your entire family, and working for low wages in a third world country where you have no roots and no connections - is this really how you want to support your family? Is that realistic? I don't see how that is a better life than the one you have now.

Most of us here are retirees and we would move to S. America taking with us our incomes earned from a lifetime of working and saving in richer countries. By and large we do not intend to support ourselves with earned income in Ecuador.

And if you think the Czech Rep. has woes right now, you do know that Ecuador is an OPEC country and derives more than half of its GDP from oil revenues. Revenues which have plummeted 50% in less than a year. Outside of that Ecuador has.... bananas. The future of Ecuador is not as bright today as it was 5 years ago. If you were to emigrate permanently you could find yourself and your upcoming family stuck in a backwater of broken dreams and regressive poverty.

Yes, the EU is slapping the lid on its people. Yes, things are going to hell in a handbasket all over the first world. Yes, it is all being held together with duct tape and baling wire -- but hells bells man, at least you can drink the tap water from your kitchen sink in the Czech Rep. no matter what happens. This is not the case in Ecuador -

The entire global economy is in deep trouble. You have a dependent family to consider and for their well being, I would suggest a move to Ecuador might not be in their best interest over the long term and I cannot imagine how you would support such a family on an Ecuador salary. I am definitely suggesting that your accustomed standards of living could not be maintained in such a move.

Work visa. Job. Spanish language skills. Employment. I think you have not done your due diligence here.

Thanks for your opinion, but I'm not interested in a work visa, I have a job that I can do that from anywhere in the world I want money no problem for the family,
I can not Western lifestyle, it's a different world view of understanding a different culture, learn well foreign jazyk.Děti can study in the US, anglie ..... or where they want to, knowledge of four languages will be an advantage.
And surely find a way to live lives as well, even helping others when the opportunity to do. :dumbom:

I think, for many of us that have left the USA for Ecuador, we do not consider the United States to be a good place to live or even close to being the best country on earth. We're #1... in military spending... We're #1 in debt... We're #1 in prison population.

My opinion is, the United States is a good place to go work for short periods of time, but I prefer my kids grow up in Ecuadorian culture, in Ecuadorian schools, eating Ecuadorian food. I also believe that there are a lot more opportunites for entrepreneurs in Ecuador than in developed countries.

I am of the opinion that Ecuador's future continues to be bright and is still a great place to immigrate. I think the situation with low oil prices is temporary, but that it will likely force Ecuador to diversify the economy, which is something that should have happened a long time ago.

I agree with you :dumbom:

Sponytom wrote:
jessekimmerling wrote:

I'm thinking the reason why we loved those winters so much was that we used to get real 4 seasons in a year and so to get this much snow for couple three months, knowing it's only for limited time made us appreciate and enjoy it...
And Im really happy you had a good time in Czech, it's always nice to hear people enjoy that bit of "our" beauty in the heart of Europe... ;)

There's been a place in my heart for the Czechs ever since the country was handed to Germany in 1938, and the Iron Curtain did not improve the situation after the war.  Some of the best stories I ever heard came from people who escaped the Iron Curtain in the 60's and 70's, was like reading about the underground railroad here in the 1850's.  I rate those stories right up there with the ones told by war vets or proctologists.  I know a Czech, now an American citizen,  retired who visits Prague every summer, prefers PA winters, while his Filipina wife talks of moving to Florida.

jessekimmerling wrote:

I am of the opinion that Ecuador's future continues to be bright and is still a great place to immigrate. I think the situation with low oil prices is temporary, but that it will likely force Ecuador to diversify the economy, which is something that should have happened a long time ago.

To Ecuador's credit, they have realized the importance of diversifying the economy, and made a commitment to diversifying the economy. Problem that I see, and anyone is certainly free to correct me, or point out where I may be wrong. Anyway, the problem I see is Ecuador has no rainy day fund. Can call it a sovereign wealth fund, stabilization fund, or whatever you want. Latin American countries tend to go boom, and bust based on commodity prices. Some countries like Chile have established funds putting money away during the good times, so that when the bad times come they have a huge surplus of money at their disposal when needed. It's great Ecuador wants to diversify, but now is probably the time the different sectors need investment, and money spent on them, and as far a I can tell there just isn't any to spend. So these sectors that require much needed capital have none, and will do nothing but fall further behind the 8 ball (so to say). Now this is hopefully just a short term glitch, but if oil prices don't rise, where exactly is Ecuador going to get it's needed capital to continue to invest, and inject into the economy? Suppose you could point to FDI investments, but problem I see there is other than the government of Ecuador promoting how great their FDI numbers are, pretty much every other source places them at the bottom of Latin American countries in that regard.

mugtech wrote:
Sponytom wrote:
jessekimmerling wrote:

There's been a place in my heart for the Czechs ever since the country was handed to Germany in 1938, and the Iron Curtain did not improve the situation after the war.  Some of the best stories I ever heard came from people who escaped the Iron Curtain in the 60's and 70's, was like reading about the underground railroad here in the 1850's.  I rate those stories right up there with the ones told by war vets or proctologists.  I know a Czech, now an American citizen,  retired who visits Prague every summer, prefers PA winters, while his Filipina wife talks of moving to Florida.

If you haven't done so already go ahead and watch "Divided we fall" (Musime si pomahat) true holocaust story or "Cosy dens" (Pelisky); Pupendo; Kolya... Some of the jewels of "recent" Czech cinematography portraying different eras in a typically Czech bittersweet manner. Well worth the watch in my opinion... ;)

All opinions are very interesting, but to me it says that the decision to relocate is correct, we have children and my idea is to grow up in a clean environment in harmony with nature, I understand that nebu not easy, but it will be for the development and understanding of the world very good.
So far I have gotten from anyone negative info, maybe you would like to live in Ecuador who asked for more info on life in the place  :dumbom: