What were the reasons for leaving your country

Hello everyone.

Please feel free to share your answer on this topic based on your own experience or anyone else you may know.

In my case the main reason was the weather as I find Canadian long winters too limiting  ;)))  Also, I felt attracted by the Caribbean culture and its simple way of life. Now this is the place I want to be and tomorrow I may need to move somewhere else. One have to live life now as it doesn't last long and you live only once. Why should one wait for its retirement right?

Share your thoughts 

Cheers.

Totally agree we only live once!

Absolutely  agree.  First time I set foot here I knew I would live here.  I love the culture, the music and dancing, sense of family and community.  I love the slower pace and I am here to learn patience.....LOL

We came to investigate and landed on Saturday. Against all reasonable thinking we bought our property 2 days after landing.

Choice was work another 10 year or pull the plug early and start a new adventure.. Life is way too short.

Bob K

Having lived for 22 years on other Islands, having visited the DR several times, I realized that I had found my home.  The people, the pace of life, the climate of the north shore was all the seduction I needed.   Never a regret or 2nd. thought..  Only failing vision & lack of health insurance  ( I hit 70 )  made me return to Fl.   Health is great now. so moving back home.  Being amongst vibrant hospitable people is without  comparison to all the other places that I have lived.

Gypsy good post.  You have it right !

Bob K

In my Canadian life I was living at a fast pace, always feeling rushed and stressed by something. For many years I grew increasingly tired of depressing falls, harsh winters and weak summer heat. I left Canada for the Dominican Republic in mid-November when leaves start to turn red and fall and when the sun sets at 5 PM. When I landed here I was greeted by the blazing sun and friends waiting for me at POP with beers and smiles.

In the weeks following my arrival I discovered the joys of living in the Caribbean. Vibrant local culture, cheerful people, going to a restaurant in the mountains and dance with the owner, eating fresh fish on the beach, spending days at gorgeous beaches, living for almost nothing and so on. It was what I was looking for. Soon into my trip I registered to this website because I knew I was going to stay. Not long after I cancelled my return flight and rented a house for 1 year. 4 months later, I'm still here, still enjoying it every day. I now have my Dominican girlfriend and many friends.

Thank you all for your contribution to this topic! I use to remind myself that it's important to acknowledge the good things life has provided to us and be thankful for every minute it allow us to live in a beautiful Island like DR.

Have a good one everybody!

Thanks and same to you

Bob K

Agreed!!!!

Moving out of the country has been my husband's dream. Unbenounced to me he had made a declaration to my dying  mother in 2004, that he would take care of me and my sons and she need not worry about us. After I learned that he made that promise, it has been my goal to give him his dream of living elsewhere. I chose the Dominican Republic as the place for us to live. It was the area and the people that made me want to live there. And I had fallen in love with the home we purchased. I knew immediately the north shore was where we needed to be it is beautiful and it always is warm, it is slower paced (except when driving) and the people are friendly. The Michigan weather is to cold and after he was transferred to Kentucky, we decided winters were not for us anymore.

Yes we too love the north coast and don't miss the cold and snow of the Colorado mountains at all

Bob K

I have asked that the worst of the comments be removed.  Carry on.....

Direct flights to many cool places and in the middle of many countries. The location is perfect. The weather is even better. The people are the real jewels of the place. The nature, mountains and rivers are incredible.  It's spring or summer every day of the year and it cools down at night and in the morning. It's just too good to be true. And, for the adventure seekers that want all this but not in a gringo enclave there are many smaller cities/towns to choose from to get a feel for the real Dominican lifestyle. It's all good.

Whether you want mountains, rivers, oceans or big cities, you have plenty of choice.

I also lived in Colorado for a couple of years, just outside of Denver. I can say I do not miss the cold of Colorado either :)

I was in Boulder before. So happy to be out of there.

It was a great place to live and a very young vibrant area.

Just the winters got to me as I lived in the foothills which had much colder temps and lots more snow than Denver proper.

In fact one of the things that "sealed" the deal for us was one storm dumping 7.5 feet of snow.  Did not see a plow or have electricity for a week.  UGH

Bob K

Hi everybody,

Just wanted to inform you all that some inappropriate posts have been removed.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Thanks so very much Priscilla, we all appreciate it very much.

Cheers,
James

Priscilla thank you

Bob K

It's greatly appreciated Priscilla, amazing job! :)

I loved the snow. The more the better!  :)

When you get to my age and have put up with huge storms for 25years (as an adult) having to drive to work every day  let me know if you feel the same way. :D

Bob K

It's a natural response of the body and mind to feel tired and depressed when you are exposed to severe weather conditions for too long. Just put a plant outside when it's below 0 degrees Celsius and you only get less than 9 hours of sun light. All these without considering the fact that many animal species start migrating down south mid September until April every year. ;)

Tired? Depressed? Isn't that what mamajuana is for? :)

mamajuana effects don't last long, winter blues does ;)

Not if you drink every day :):one:top::lol:

i am always back and forth between America and DR.. My family is in DR and my husbands family is in DR..
We have a house and we own our own business in America as well as a couple of Colmados in DR.. we honestly live where ever we feel like living during certain months....
I love New York and i love DR..

LadyMateo welcome to the forum.  As one who "lives" here we look forward to your future posts and information.

Bob K