Udi confusion / staying in Norway

Hello all. I have a question and can't seem to find the right documentation for. My visa to stay in Norway is about to expire and we want to send the documentation in for family reunification. I can't seem to find any documentation /legality about staying here waiting for a response from Udi with a expired visa. Any links/advise?

Hi,

I don't know if any such documents exist. There are different rules for different countries of origin and it also depends on you current visa type. I would contact your local police station or UDI directly and ask. Your embassy in Norway might also be able to give you the correct information. Don't risk being deported!

Thing is I asked the politi here and they have no clue either..which doesn't surprise me.  Heck when my wife and I were discussing things with skattatten we got 3 different answers for paperwork.. O.o so guess going to try the politi that falls under the same region and see what they say. USA BTW if that helps

By the way yes if your from America you can stay. Confirmed with the politi in Fauske. Just the waiting game though kinda sucks

Hi Rusty,
Try this link might help. http://www.udi.no/en/want-to-apply/family-immigration/

Mmm the problem with the udi site is that it doesn't contain every detail

Have you contacted your embassy in Oslo? They for sure know these things...

And if the politi in Fauske  confirmed that you can stay while waiting, why do you worry?

Hi,

I hope my experience can help. I am a Filipina and my VISA expired last March 15, 2015 and I am still in Norway. I came as a tourist and got married to my fiance last February 23, 2015. After our wedding ceremony, the judge gave us a paper, a temporary marriage certificate and advised us to present this to Politi (in Mosjøen, the nearest in our community) once we hand-in the requirements for family reunification. February 24, I logged in to UDI to apply for Family reunification, my appointment was February 26, 2015.  The Politi gladly accepted my application, and was very detailed when she gave me all the information I need to know.

This is what she told me:

First, I am going to receive a text or email from UDI confirming that they have received my application. Second, once UDI starts processing my application, I can stay in Norway while waiting for answer. Third, while waiting, I am not allowed to work or to study Norwegian. Fourth, I  cannot travel outside Norway since I will or might have a problem getting back. Fifth, I need to wait for 9 to 12 months for an answer, then she giggly joked that I have to stay in Norway like a prisoner in my husbands house since I cannot do anything other than wait for UDI's answer  :D;) .

With this being said, I found out that you can apply for a family reunification while on a tourist VISA that is expiring in less that 15 days or on a work permit that is expiring in less than two months(I will explain later) and can stay in Norway while waiting. Just make sure that when you hand in your application, you have followed and completed the list of requirements for family reunification which imperative and highly important.

When I said while on a work permit and apply for a family reunification while in Norway and stay in the country while waiting, this happened to my niece. She was on a seasonal job and has a work/residence permit for 6 months. She got married to her fiance less than two months before her work permit expired.  They immediately applied for family reunification and like me, she was allowed to stay in Norway while waiting for an answer from UDI.

I hope I was able to enlighten you on this matter.

Kind Regards