Assistance

Hi All.

I have been granted an opportunity to work in mauritius for a few years and need a bit of info.

I am from SA and will be moving with my wife.

Firstly, what is the cost of a work permit and will my wife also require one. She will not be working.
What is the minimum salary to qualify for the work permit as the salary on offer would exceed Rs70 000?

Is this enough to sustain two people?

I was looking at living in Flic en Flac, How is this area? safety? comfort, etc?

I also want to buy my wife a car that is not too expensive. any advice?

All info will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance

and my wife has a degree in social work, specializing in psychology as well as her masters in research in psychology,

What kind of opportunities are out there for her?

Hi and welcome,

There are many recent posts asking similar questions as yours with lots of answers, will be good for you to read through them ;)

My husband works here, I do not work here,he arrived 6 weeks before me, got his work permit, I then arrived on a tourist visa and we applied for a dependents permit i.e. wife, once I got this within 4 weeks I was given my Mauritian card and my visa was changed. It was very easy to do, Also your future employer will probably assist you as my husbands employer did.

The Company who is employing you usually arrange the work permit, my husbands Company covered all the costs, although this depends on the Companies policies.

I suggest that you read this site: "The Board of Investment" which contains all you need to know about work permits etc            www.investmauritius.com/work-live.aspx

Flic en Flac is a safe area but I think it is aimed more at Tourists, although I have quite a few friends who live there and love the buzz as there are plenty of restaurants and bars there and people from Black River often go there as only about 20 mins from Tamarin, - Black River, Tamarin has a large Expat Community.

I think it will depend on where you will be working I have friends in Black River whose husbands work in Ebene, Cyber City (about 40 mins drive) and also Port Louis (about an 1-1.15 hour drive ) but all depends on traffic I can get to Port Louis in 40 mins during the day when there is no rush hour. Some friends live in Grand Baie who work in Port Louis.

I am not sure if the salary you have mentioned is correct but the BOI site I gave you will give you the minimum requirements for this question.

Cars are expensive, some people rent their cars, a Nissan March for about Rs15,000 per month all inclusive or buy a 2nd hand one, there  are websites and groups online for people who live in Mru, full of info, buying/selling etc

There was a post in the last week from a lady who is a social worker - maybe read the answers to her questions. https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=452182

Hope this has been of some help to you - Good luck :)

Hi,

Thanks so much for the response. It has been a great help.

Your welcome and I am sure others will come on and give their advice too:)
Good luck!