Looking for accomodation in Copenhagen

Hi,
I've just started work in Copenhagen and I thought it would be straight forward to find accommodation once I got here, but it's proving more challenging than I imagined.

I do contract work and my contract does not guarantee I'm here for a set period of time, so I cannot sign-up for a year or more up-front for accommodation. I have a budget of around DKK 5000 per month, but I'd prefer to pay less as I commute home to the UK regularly for weekends and holidays.

Any advice on where to search or how to find accommodation? I am registered with findroommate.dk, and I saw an advert on Expat.com (which brought me to this site). I am currently staying in Airbnb rooms, which give more choice at budget prices than hotels I stayed in to begin with. There are several hostels in the city, but I prefer more home comforts and a little more personal space.

Most ads are in Danish, so I translate them on Google Translate and filter the ones I'm interested in, then reply to the advertisers. My problem is that I'm a middle-aged man and most of the advertised flat shares are for students and twenty-somethings. There seems to be a massive demand and supply for student accommodation, but not suitable for more mature working individuals - how many students would choose a flat-mate that is old enough to be their parent?

So I'd appreciate any advice, and it would also be useful for anyone else in a similar situation.

If you have accommodation and are looking to rent a room, take a look at my profile. I'm searching in central CPH, north east by the coast as far as Klampenborg and south east as far as Amager Strand (on the metro line to Christainshavn - or walking distance). I'm likely to be in CPH for 9 - 18 months. Ping me a msg if you know of anywhere suitable?

Hi There,

The accommodation issue in CPH is just CRAZY. According to my experience, you will have a minimum of 100 candidates for 1V or 2V a room which cost around 4-5000 DKK. Boligportal and Lejebolig are pretty good website provided a reasonable supply of room. So if you don't want to pay 10000++, then it will be difficult. If you are lucky, you will be invited for open house which then will be decided on the merit of the landlord. Note here that If your office is not in a commune where you register, you could apply directly to the commune's website with a special request for them to find an accommodation for you. I have heard of someone who can quickly get a room this way.

Hope this helps.

G~Luck!

Hello BritInCPH

I invite you to drop an advert in our Housing in Copenhagen section of the forum.

This might help better increase your chances to find a nice rental

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Thanks Ikeneken,
I will look into that.