Costs

Hi everybody,Although this is not a new topic, as I have had no luck at all with a previous message thought I would try anew.I have recently befriended a person from Bangladesh and would like to help with a bit of finance.However the things he is telling me just do not add up.I have for many years been spending time in Egypt and cost of living is very similar and have been supporting  someone who I have known for 10 years with schooling items and many other things.I am not rich by any stretch of imagination but every month was sending him £70/80 and you would think they had won the lottery.Yet my Bangladesh friend says he needs to send £800!!.to his family in Bangladesh.I am afraid when he said this I was gobsmacked.I think maybe he is on something!.So can anyone please help me .Someone did post a reply to my last message but I could not make out what the currency sign was, was it a dollar sign or a taka sign.Many many thanks.PS the £800 was for the end of Ramadan celebrations.

Nonsense, you are being taken for a ride, not possible, 800 pounds for Eid, yo could feed at least 1000 people

800 pounds ha ha ha ha

in bangladesh u can live a life time in dat money..
(sry for the exaggeration) .... its a hell lot of money by even a normal living standard and d fact that u tryin to help dis guy out implies dats cos he aint able to meet his ends..

i sincerly urge not to send the money.. u cld sponsor few more kids education in it.. rather dan having it given to a fraud....

Mr. Gordon,

Its really a nice initiative that you helping someone with schooling and some other. I really like to put a warm thank for your steps.I wish if I would have this abelity. I hope we can do this help in broad way at near future and hope GOD give you that abelity.

Here I would like to make a comments about that boy who demanded mroe  800 pound. Actually he is a needy person thats why he is taking your support for schooling. A needy person can not meet so many needs of his life. May be for a needs he need more and more money. But according to my openion no need to pay him but continue with same amount in each month. Some of us made comment that you can lead whole life with that amount or 1000 people u can feed, I think this is really impossible. But may I know where you from !

Good Day everyone. I really am very grateful to the people who have put replies to my question about costs in Bangladesh.  Unfortunately my message has been misunderstood.First of all I am not being ripped off as no way would I send that amount of money.It is my Bangladeshi friend who, when we are in conversation talks about the need to send stupid amounts of money to his family in Sylhet.For an example we were talking before the end of ramadan and he told me he and his brothers were sending the £800 and he was sending as his share £400.I told him he was crazy and to get real!.I told him that with my knowledge of Egypt I could live for 16 months on £800.I also have two friends who on a nine year lease have a flat for £50 a month so if I could find such a flat £800 would be 16 months rent.At least when I show him your replies although he looks glum maybe it will make him wake up and get real.So once again to everyone many many thanks and have a good day.