Cost of living in sohar

Dear all,
I have been offered by a company in sohar a sum of 650 OmR  is it enough for a family living..kindly suggest

Hello Somashekhar,

Welcome to Expat-Blog!

You can gather some additional informations in the different topics like Cost of living in Sohar in the forum categories.

Thank you,

Marjorie

Somashekhar wrote:

Dear all,
I have been offered by a company in sohar a sum of 650 OmR  is it enough for a family living..kindly suggest

Hi Somashekhar,

Though the salary quoted is not really much, suffice to say, the cost of living in Sohar is lesser than that of Muscat.

OMG for a family? that's terrible wages.. what kind of work have you applied for?

Tokatron wrote:

OMG for a family? that's terrible wages.. what kind of work have you applied for?

Hi Tokatron,

Am not sure if you are familiar with Oman or Sohar.

The salary quoted above by Somashekar is not really "terrible wages" as you have so categorically condemned.

There are many who are earning lesser than that and are still managing - with their families.

Like I have said earlier, the cost of living in Sohar cannot be compared with the cost of living in Muscat.

Sumitran wrote:
Tokatron wrote:

Hi Tokatron,

Am not sure if you are familiar with Oman or Sohar.

The salary quoted above by Somashekar is not really "terrible wages" as you have so categorically condemned.

There are many who are earning lesser than that and are still managing - with their families.

Like I have said earlier, the cost of living in Sohar cannot be compared with the cost of living in Muscat.

Dear Sir,
Some of my friends have applied for jobs in Oman Medical College in Sohar. Kindly let those Indian expats know about the cost of
A. Accommodation
B. Basic utilities (electricity, internet)
C. Car rental
D. Daily needs (laundry, maid/help)
E. Entertainment
F. Food
in Sohar. Are there any Indian schools there?
Thanks.

well this is not bad salary but according to new rule minimum wage must be 700 + to bring your family. details of cost are:
1. 100-150 for flat and 140-200 for villa
2. bills for electric n water 10 in winter much less
3.160 per month
4. maid etc depends
5. Food ... around 150 depends what you eat
6. there is indian school in sohar

hope this helps.

liverpoollfc wrote:

well this is not bad salary but according to new rule minimum wage must be 700 + to bring your family. details of cost are:
3.160 per month
4. maid etc depends

hope this helps.

Hi liverpoollfc,

Just a small correction in what you have stated here.

The minimum eligibility condition for to apply for family status in Oman is the male employment visa holder must be earning a minimum salary of R.O. 600/- per month to apply for a resident visa for any immediate family member / dependent. It is not R.O. 700/- as mentioned in your post.

Thanks a lot for the correction Mr. Sumitran.

liverpoollfc wrote:

3.160 per month
4. maid etc depends

hope this helps.

Thank you, so much...  :top:

Hi all,
I found another discussion on the same topic.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 20#2607277
I request the moderators to combine or interlink these 2 discussions.

hello! i have an offer from CB&I & CTCI joint venture in Sohar, Oman. They are offering OMR 600-850 plus OMR 200 for housing. Food & transportation will be provided by company. i would like to know if this is offer is sufficient enough for cost of living in Oman. thanks.

Hi all,

I have been offered a position in Sohar starting May, i notice that a lot of the threads on here are quite old, i am looking for info regarding rented apartment/villa prices, initially i travel alone but would like a nice 2 bed preferably on a complex.
As i will be on a freelance basis we have to include all costs in our quote, therefore i am looking for relevant costs for:
1:Rent
2:Groceries
3:Utilities
4:Internet/SIM cards
5:Rental car 4x4 + fuel costs for a month

i know a lot of this has been covered elsewhere but i would like unto date info relevant to Sohar

Thanks in advance