1 Year Requirement to get Internet?

Hey,

I contacted a couple of internet providers (CNT, and some local company). Both wanted a one year contact.

How does this work? How enforceable is it? If you cancel what is the penalty?

wlae84 wrote:

I contacted a couple of internet providers (CNT, and some local company). Both wanted a one year contact.....

How enforceable is it? If you cancel what is the penalty?

My contract for wi-fi Internet with Movistar is for three years.  So this one-year contract seems lenient by comparison.

If you cancel and your credit/debit card is active or accessible to the Internet provider, the contract is easily enforced by debiting your account.

The amount of the penalty naturally depends on (1) what it says in the contract, and/or (2) the total dollar-amount in payments remaining on the contract.

cccmedia in Quito

I have a sort of related question.  Do I need to bring my router to Ecuador in order to get that Wi-Fi?

Helen Pivoine

Helen Pivoine wrote:

I have a sort of related question.  Do I need to bring my router to Ecuador in order to get that Wi-Fi?

Helen Pivoine

They have routers here.

But you can also bring your own and use it.  TVCable uses TP-Link.  There are a lot better on the market.  If you have a good router, bring it.

If you have a bank account you can use that for payments.  If you don't have money in your account at the beginning of the month, you can pay in a bank by the (I think) the 8th.  A contract is pretty usual with any cable company.   They have to send techs to connect you up and all that.  Probably not an expense they want to incur if it's only for a few months...

cccmedia wrote:
wlae84 wrote:

I contacted a couple of internet providers (CNT, and some local company). Both wanted a one year contact.....

How enforceable is it? If you cancel what is the penalty?

My contract for wi-fi Internet with Movistar is for three years.  So this one-year contract seems lenient by comparison.

If you cancel and your credit/debit card is active or accessible to the Internet provider, the contract is easily enforced by debiting your account.

The amount of the penalty naturally depends on (1) what it says in the contract, and/or (2) the total dollar-amount in payments remaining on the contract.

cccmedia in Quito

But do they send to collections, take you to court, ruin you in some way, etc. if you change your bank card so they can't debit anymore?

wlae84 wrote:

But do they send to collections, take you to court, ruin you in some way, etc. if you change your bank card so they can't debit anymore?

Strictly speaking, that's unpredictable.

But if, let's say, you had six months left on a $40 per-month contract, it's probably not worth it to them to sue you.  Also, this is a less litigious society than the one you left. 

I don't see why you're worried about your EC credit rating.  It's not like you're planning to finance the purchase of a car or a house in the foreseeable future.  Or am I missing something?

cccmedia in Quito