Do i need a visa to visit city during my 28 hours lay over in Beijing?

I have a 28 hour lay over in Beijing.Do i need a visa to see the city and get a good night sleep???Thanks

You can stay for up to 72 hours visa free depending on which country you come from. I suggest a Google search by putting '72 hour visa for Beijing' into your search engine.

Takes time to travel from airport in Beijing  and back depending where you wish to stay. There are transit hotels in the airport so maybe research those.

72-hour Visa-free Transit   
Visa Free Transit Service   
Transit Service Counter in Beijing Capital Airport   

In order to facilitate the international visitors' short stay in China, 72-Hour Visa Free Transit policy is carried out in more and more cities. At present, eleven cities adopt this policy. This policy allows transit passengers with passport of 51 countries to stay for up to 72 hours without a visa on direct transit.

Cities Enjoying the Policy
Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Chongqing, Shenyang, Dalian, Xian, Guilin, Kunming and Hangzhou

Qualified Countries
24 Schengen Agreement Countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Demark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland

13 Other European Countries: Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia (FYROM), Albania

6 American Countries: the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Chile

2 Oceania Countries: Australia, New Zealand

6 Asian Countries: Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, Qatar

Conditions for Application

1. The confirmed seat onward ticket and valid visa to a third country or region (if required) are needed for entry. Based on the latest information, the 72 hours starts from 00:00 the day following the entry date in all the airports except Beijing. The 72 hours are counted from the flights' schedule arrival time to the departure time in Beijing Capital International Airport.

2. The flights to and from any of the eleven cities should not stop beforehand in any other Chinese cities. Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan are regarded as a third region. For instance, if a flight lands in Xian via Beijing, passengers are not able to enjoy the policy. If a flight passes USA – Beijing – Hong Kong/Macau/Taiwan, passengers are able to enjoy.

3. Only use flights to transfer in China. Passengers using other vehicles (including using flight for single trip) are not eligible to enjoy the policy.

4. Passengers are required to leave from the same airport that they arrive, except in Shanghai. In Shanghai, they are allowed to land in one airport and depart from the other.

Documents for Application
Valid passport
Visa for a third country or region
A full completed Arrival/Departure Card (including name, nationality, passport no., visa no. & insurance place, flight no., purpose of visit, date of birth, gender)
An onward ticket with confirmed seat are needed

Procedure
Inform the airlines when boarding – Fill an Arrival/Departure Card on the flight - Apply the 72-hour permit – Claim the luggage – Go through the custom - Leave airport
Visa Free Direction Board   
Direction Boards for 72-hour Special Counter   

Tips:

1. It is necessary to inform the airline at check-in, so that they can declare your request to the airport custom before landing. Passengers transiting via Beijing Capital International Airport can apply for this free transit permit after arrival.

2. There is a special counter/lane for the 72-hour free transit at the immigration, so passengers can go walk there directly by following the signs. For example, the immigration channels 2 to 4 are for 72-hour free transit passengers in Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport.

3. After the request to enjoy the 72-hour free transit is approved, the officer will stamp a stay permit on your passport. The duration of stay is written on the passport. Remember to tell the officer that one wants to use the 72-hour free transit if he/she already has a valid visa for China.

4. After leaving the airport, remember to register at local police station within 24 hours of arrival if one wants to stay over 24 hours. Those who live with family or friends need to go to register in person at the police station with relatives or friends. Those who live in hotels do not need to go, because the hotels will do it for the guests.

5. Passengers are not allowed to leave the transit city during the 72 hours, except Guangzhou and Hangzhou. They can leave for other places in Guangdong province when transiting in Guangzhou and in Zhejiang province when transiting in Hangzhou.

6. If visitors are unable to depart on time due to unavoidable reasons, such as flight cancellation or treatment of sudden disease, they need to apply for a visa from Municipal Public Security Bureau (PSB). Otherwise, tourists cannot apply for an extension of stay.

Difference between 72-hour Free Transit and Direct Transit
Direct Transit within 24 hours is available for any nationality passenger and it is applicable to any vehicle, while the 72-hour Free Transit is only possible for passengers from 51 countries and requires to transit in the airport.

Two pictures are helpful to make you clear.
72-Hour Free Transit            24-Hour Direct Transit   

Other Services for Free Transit
There are service centers for transit passengers in the terminals, offering rest places with drinking water and reading materials if they do not want to leave the airport. For visa-free transit passengers, the airports also provide services for currency exchange, mobile phone rental, car rental, left luggage, as well as local souvenir shops. Tour buses are available from the terminals for the convenience of tourists.

Read FAQ about 72-hour Visa-free Transit

Recommended Visa-free Transit Travel Routes:
  China Visa-free Tour Packages           Tailor-make Your Own Itinerary
Q & A Search:

Questions & Answers on 72-hour Visa-free Transit

Mar. 17, 2015 02:56Reply
    Asked by rafaqat khan from PAKISTAN
    plz confrom me how much china visit visa for 3 days only costs
        Reply 0 0 Mar. 17, 2015 03:40
        Answered by Kate from Samoa Eastern
        Rafaqat, Pakistanis are exempted for the application fees. However, they can't apply for individual visitor type, according to Chinese embassy. If you plan to visit PRC, you should join a group tour arranged by qualified tour agencies. And you need to apply for group L together.
    Mar. 16, 2015 20:35Reply
    Asked by Doreen Dunn from AUSTRALIA
    Am I able to apply for a 72 hour visa when arriving in Xiamen on a cruise?
    My husband and I have British Passports and arrive in Xiamen at 7am and leave at 2pm the same day on a cruise?

We would really appreciate help on this matter.
    Best regards
    Richard and Doreen Dunn
        Reply 0 0 Mar. 17, 2015 03:37
        Answered by Danny from Indonesia
        I am afraid not. 72 hours free transit hasn't been implemented in Xiamen. However, you are qualified 24 hours free transit. So you needn't apply in advance.
    Mar. 16, 2015 11:00Reply
    Asked by sam from INDIA
    am I allowed to avail 72 hours free transit visa in Shanghai airport?
    I am French citizen travelling to Osaka Via Shanghai. please some one reply.

Thanks
    Sam
        Reply 0 0 Mar. 16, 2015 20:19
        Answered by Kate from United Kingdom
        Sam, you are flying from India to Osaka, right? If so, you can make use of the 72 hour transit entry permit exemption.
    Mar. 16, 2015 09:26Reply
    Asked by reyes from MICHIGAN
    Fying to Shanghai to catch a flight to US but dont have confirmed seat flying standby. Free transit?
    Have a Delta airlines buddy pass
        Reply 0 0 Mar. 17, 2015 00:52
        Answered by Hulk from Italy
        Reyes, if you are just holding the standby onward ticket, you can't enjoy the free transit. A transit G type entry permit is required. You should apply for it in advance.

More Questions & Answers
Ask Question
* Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)

Thanks !!!!! Really grea6 iformation.