Exploring my relocation to rural CR

Well, i have lived in Germany most of my life and then the past 20 years in Western Canada. After many years as a social worker and a bicycle tour operator / tour guide i look forward to retiring soon and spending perhaps most of my retirement in CR. The thought of living in a town with a pleasant climate (not the coast) in a country with friendly people, lots of biodiversity and a decent medical system is appealing to me. I'd prefer to live in a quiet and culturally vibrant community with some open-minded expats, where owning a car is not necessary. I am learning Spanish. I welcome any practical advise from Expats on finding my dream place in a scenic and affordable rural part of CR.

Believe it or not, the most  'culturally vibrant community' area of the country is around San José and where you could probably find a place to call home. Best to visit and check for yourself.
As a legal resident it is mandatory that you are affiliated with CAJA the socialized healthcare system, however, it is not guaranteed to fulfill all your needs, so like most expats, be prepared to purchase additional insurance and/or pay for service in the private sector. The CAJA premiums will be based on your retirement pension, if you apply as a pensionado. Search elsewhere on this forum for additional information on this somewhat 'touchy' subject.
Suggest you read the info on the Canadian website regarding being a non resident if you are out of Canada for more than 6 months. Just last week this was in the 'local' papers.

Of course, if you are only intending to stay as a 'tourist' or less than 6 months, most of this info I have provided you , is worthless   :whistle:

Culturally vibrant is pretty subjective but Atenas is a Central Valley town with an active expat community. I think they have groups on Facebook, if you want to pick their brains. I live near Zarcero, so hardly any expats. The little towns around here are constantly having traditional festivals. That seems culturally vibrant to me.

You just have to look at the events happening around San José every weekend, with the symphony, dance recitals, art exhibits,  concerts, hosted by not only by the Costa Rican community but by citizens from other countries the likes of which you are not going to find these in the small towns, including the annual Oktoberfest celebration.  :cheers:  Watching an occasional Tope or the Sept Independence parades, may be enjoyable, however, these can not be compared to these cultural events held 'in town' at least in my opinion :/ so 'Culturally vibrant is pretty subjective'.

I'm afraid San Jose' is the only place in  Costa Rica that you could really call culturally vibrant by most standards and even then it wouldn't compare to big cities in the US for example.

Just know that San Jose' is also the dirtiest and most crime ridden and crowded city in Costa Rica.
Most people avoid it, though I personally enjoy it but only in very small doses of a couple days at a time for the most part.

Hello, I was wondering if you found a place to live in Costa Rica. I've been in a rural mountainous part of the country for over 10 years and have enjoyed the casual lifestyle. The cost is more affordable being away from tourist locations and ex-pat communities. Let me know if I can assist in any way. Have a great day!

I love this article on the Ontario couple, Ty!!

samramon wrote:

I'm afraid San Jose' is the only place in  Costa Rica that you could really call culturally vibrant by most standards and even then it wouldn't compare to big cities in the US for example.

Just know that San Jose' is also the dirtiest and most crime ridden and crowded city in Costa Rica.
Most people avoid it, though I personally enjoy it but only in very small doses of a couple days at a time for the most part.

100% agree.  Food, limited quality cultural events and entertainment are good in San Jose-Santa Ana areas - nice to visit but I prefer country life.

-Expat Dave

Yea we usually get in and get out of SJ ASAP don't like the traffic, had enough of that in LA. Did stay in Santa Ana next to SJ and I was not bad. But we didn't come to CR to get lots of vibrant culture, we came to minimalize our life physically and mentally and slow down, and seems to be that so far.

I am American and have lived here for 8 years in San Ramon Alajuela which is in the mountains west of San Jose and about 40 minutes from the airport. It is a very conservative town and offers a lot of excellent amenities including GRINGO CENTRAL. This is a group of mostly Americans but includes other foreigners such as Germans and Italians who get together at local coffee shops as well as have regular meetings .
I actually have live in Santiago just outsde San Ramon which is a small village  but still part of the San Ramon postal office area of delivery. Google San Ramon Alajuela Costa Rica and you can find a lot of info on it.  It is a very clean and has very little crime. The locals are very friendly. There are accredited private schools here and in the town nearby which is Palmares. Look up therealcostarica.com for a lot of info you may want
rickxxx

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging + avoid posting duplicate content please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct