Considering a move to new delhi

hi, im gareth, im 29. iv just been offered a job in india, in delhi and am considering whether or not to accept. i work for a global recruitment company and have been asked to help launch our brand in india, starting in delhi. i just wanted to get some advice on what its like for an ex pat brit moving to india and would u reccommend it??. keen to hear from any ex pats my age who have made the move and what you think?

thanks guys!
Gareth.

Hi Gareth
Though i m an indian origin but an expat from australia. it depends on how long u r gng to stay and what r the options u have. life is very different here. wish u all the best cheers

Sudheer

hi sudheer

a minimum 3 years really i think. my options are to either carry on with the job i do in london or move to india. career wise its a better option, but am aprehensive about life in delhi.

thanks.

why r u apprehensive about life in Delhi ?
It's a cool place !
It depends what r ur requirements & what type of society u wanna settle in.

(moderated: please note that free advertising is not allowed on the site. Thank you)

Gareth,

I am 26 yrs old and  moved to Delhi from Dubai about three and a half years ago. Life here is very different indeed, and it might be a bit overwhelming initially. There is a lot of red tapism, bureaucracy and corruption in the public sector, but the MNC's are a whole lot better.

People - They are quite friendly, but sometimes way too friendly, which makes me slightly uncomfortable as I am not too sure what are they trying to do. They are very emotional people and tend to take everything personaly.

Public transport - With the introduction of Metros (not quite like the tube in the UK) life has become a bit easier for people who used to take public buses (which are not very comfortable to travel in). You get radio cabs 24/7. Driving can be a nightmare. Roads aren't very good across the city and NCR.

Shopping - Is quite nice actually. There are a lot of malls in Delhi as well as the surrounding areas and you can get all the big brands from the west. You would also come across Marks and Spencers and Debenhams in the high end malls here.

Food - depends on how strong your digestive system is. You should certainly avoid spicy food for the initial few days.

Nightlife- a lot of places that you can go to. There are a lot of expat  nights that are organized all over the city. It is certianly not like London though. Plenty of beer across the city and they do drink quite a lot!

Housing - Depends on where you live. If you are alone you can get a 2 bhk flat for 15-20k in a good locality. Most of the newly built are quite nice.

Weather - Hot and humid for 8 months. Winters are a lot nicer

If your company pays you well, you can live pretty comfortably.

Let me know if you want more information.