Google/Apple Maps - in Chiang Mai

Okay, so I random question...I plan to rely heavily at first on the maps on my cellphone...is this feasible, has the city been mapped by Google?  I will definitely have an ordinary map in tow.

The other aspect is that, after some deliberation, I am going to rent a scooter in Chiang Mai, at least for a day.  It I'm scared sh&%^tless then I'll quickly shelve the idea.

I did buy 2 years an app for my iphone it was a Tom Tom app which have all South East Asia Countries and still work perfectly, I use my phone daily as Sat Nav in the car. I don't remember the price but was around 20-25 GBP I think.
I need something prior to arrive in Chiang Mai, to prepare my trips check the distance, memorise the place, do simulation, check some mooban, distance from the school of my daughter, etc....

CircadianRhythm wrote:

Okay, so I random question...I plan to rely heavily at first on the maps on my cellphone...is this feasible, has the city been mapped by Google?  I will definitely have an ordinary map in tow.

The other aspect is that, after some deliberation, I am going to rent a scooter in Chiang Mai, at least for a day.  It I'm scared sh&%^tless then I'll quickly shelve the idea.

I have a Garmin app on my iPhone. Chose it because the maps are on the phone so it just uses the free GPS signal with no data charges. Reasonably accurate and updates to the maps  have happened a couple of times since I have owned it.

Did you guys purchase your phones in Thailand?  I have the option of taking my New Zealand-based phone, but the international data charges are $10 a day!

Has anyone had a positive experience buying a smartphone with a local SIM in Thailand?  My plan would be to have it for the three months and then sell it on eBay.

Thank you!

If your phone is unlocked then bring it, buy a sim card here and you are away.

You can unlock your phone in Thailand. You can buy cheap phone new for 490-690 THB anywhere including supermarket. Regarding SIM card there are many package for tourists like 7 days / 15 days including unlimited internet, etc... each supplier propose their deal for tourist, for group of tourist etc... you can order online and pick up at the airport also. If you come with your SIM card better to not use internet 3G and turn off your roaming if you don't want bad surprise when back home with your billing.