Top 5 tips to live in Sudan

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Sudan.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Sudan?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Sudan!

Thank you in advance :)

quit alchohol and quit club before you come to Sudan~and learn how to get used to life indoors day and night~i think this is the best tips for soon-to-be expat in sudan~lol~

I was in Sudan some years ago and got caught up in a situation half way up the Nile to Juba where the "freedom fighters" arrested me for being a spy from the South- I'm a blue eyed blond Canadian boy (was). Anyway since I couldn't speak the lingo they decided to take me out and shoot me. Well talk about luck, along came another faction and a big argument took place and they threw my backside on another boat heading to Juba. So - since then after getting to know both the Northeners (Arabs) and the Southerners (?) I would strongly suggest anyone from the West stay the heck out of there. I loved it though.

I do believe wrote:

I was in Sudan some years ago and got caught up in a situation half way up the Nile to Juba where the "freedom fighters" arrested me for being a spy from the South- I'm a blue eyed blond Canadian boy (was). Anyway since I couldn't speak the lingo they decided to take me out and shoot me. Well talk about luck, along came another faction and a big argument took place and they threw my backside on another boat heading to Juba. So - since then after getting to know both the Northeners (Arabs) and the Southerners (?) I would strongly suggest anyone from the West stay the heck out of there. I loved it though.

Both are Africans. Although certain people have been keen to divide them into "Arab" and African, when Sudan is a black-African country, it's people are African, and not "Arab". And why would they want to shoot you, just for being white. I don't believe this.

I do believe wrote:

you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I lived in Khartoum for quite some time and it was as peaceful as any place can be

I don't believe the story. Sudanese are well-known for their hospitality. Unless someone is hanging around volatile regions, then they can be suspected of being up to no good (i.e aiding the enemy). So it begs the question - what the hell were you doing?  :cool:

I've travelled in over 100 countries and the Sudanese have been the most hospitable people I encountered anywhere, both in the north and south. Admittedly this was on a Cairo-Cape motorcycle trip back in 1979 when there was relative peace under Nimeiry. You can run out of luck with 16-year-olds with Kalashnikovs, but they always love motorcycles.
Rob