Top 5 tips to live in Russia

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Russia.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Russia?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Russia!

Thank you in advance :)

I have been living in Moscow for the last 2 years (I didn't know russian at all).

1. Study Russian and try to talk as much as possible no matter your level.
2. If you are a man then hanging around with girls will help you adapt easier and learn russian faster (plus dancing in russia is considered normal even for men so do not hesitate!)
3. Try to understand the cultural differences rather than becoming one of them. Study russian literature.
4. Always have with you a metro map (or metro application for your smartphone). Also buy a troika card which you can charge with money for chip trips.
5. Do not forget your scarf/hat and be careful when crossing the streets!

Russians are honest and proud people but a bit difficult to approach at first!!

poldam wrote:

I have been living in Moscow for the last 2 years (I didn't know russian at all).

1. Study Russian and try to talk as much as possible no matter your level.
2. If you are a man then hanging around with girls will help you adapt easier and learn russian faster (plus dancing in russia is considered normal even for men so do not hesitate!)
3. Try to understand the cultural differences rather than becoming one of them. Study russian literature.
4. Always have with you a metro map (or metro application for your smartphone). Also buy a troika card which you can charge with money for chip trips.
5. Do not forget your scarf/hat and be careful when crossing the streets!

Russians are honest and proud people but a bit difficult to approach at first!!

why the hat? and what about crossing the streets?can you give me more details? Thank you!

Hat because of cold and windy weather.  British people very rarely wear hats at home and suffer illness.  Any Russian will tell you that you need to cover your head, especially forehead in any cold or windy weather.   Failure to do this is the cause of so much illness.

Be careful crossing the street because drivers can be crazy and also you may trip if the road is broken.

Don't walk under the eaves of buildings in spering.  Many people are injured or even killed by falling ice.

Cars on the roads and people on the sidewalks is not a 100% reality in Moscow. Crazy drivers can be found everywhere and not abiding by the driving rules is very common. They also drive very fast and the dont pay much attention to zebra crossings!

There is nothing worse than a cold wind so hats are necessary!!!!

Most expats are visit Moscow, so my tips are....
Find place where to live forehead
Your work and your apartment - it would be better if they are in one area. Moscow - is a long distance town.
You'll need a map of metropolitan
Be careful everywhere and everytime!! I is a Megatown and different people are there not only good .. but and vice versa.
And one of the  main  tip - Don't lose yourself!! Remember what is the reason of your visit))))