Top 5 tips to live in Puerto Rico

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Puerto Rico.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Puerto Rico?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Puerto Rico!

Thank you in advance :)

Hello all:

Here are some things that may help others:

1.  Language

Try and learn as much Spanish as you can.  In the tourist areas most people speak English, but you'll be more comfortable with an understanding of the language with day-to-day living.  We had the landlords handymen come over to fix things after we moved in.  They didn't speak any English, so needless to say it was quite a challenge in my elementary Spanish to explain to them what needed to be fixed (the landlord didn't relay the information), and that the part they installed in the toilet (I don't even know what it's called in English) was the wrong size.  If you aren't comfortable with Spanish, consider getting a friend or hiring someone to help you through important things.  By the way, it took them 7 additional visits spread out over 2 months to get our discrepancies taken care of, which brings me to point #2 

2.  Patience

*Be sure to pack patience and lots of it - moving is stressful, especially to a whole different environment with a different culture and expectations.  Things happen on their own schedule here.  In my casual observations, I've found that things (on average) take 2-3 times longer to get things done here.  For example, a store line that would take 10 minutes in the US can easily be 20-30 minutes here.  No big deal really - just an observation.  If you're normally used to getting a bunch of things done in a day, plan on a couple of days, especially dealing with utility companies.  Getting internet/cable/electric hook-ups can take a while in some cases.  We've lucked out, but friends of ours had waited six weeks to get cable/internet.  Appointments of any kind here are interesting.  When we called to have cable installed, they didn't give a date or time  they just showed up one day.  We werent home, but lucky enough they came back later in the afternoon.  It can be somewhat frustrating  when we moved out of our apartment, we had a meeting scheduled with the moving company at 9:00.  At 9:45 they called and said theyd meet us at 11:00.  Nothing we could really do, we just had to roll with it.

3.  Utilities

Utilities here in PR are not as reliable as they are in the US.  If you are planning on working from home and need reliable internet, consider asking around about different providers.  We use Liberty, and service is pretty sporadic (although it has improved dramatically after replacing some hardware with my own).  In some areas, backup generators are a must in dealing with power outages.

4.  Environment

The tropical environment can wreck havoc on things.  We used to live in an apartment in Old San Juan and within a couple of months, mold was everywhere.  I noticed it on my collectible books and camera lenses.  Fortunately the mold was on the outside of the lenses and I was able to clean it.  If you plan on bringing good furniture, artwork, collectible items, etc. be very careful - the humidity can be a problem.

5.  The coffee!!

Coffee from PR is outstanding - be sure to treat yourself to some.  Some of my favorites are Cuatro Sombras, Hacienda San Pedro, Gustos Coffee Co., and Cafe Cola'o

Great points, Trekrider. I would have all of them in my top 5. Maybe I would put patience on #1. :D

Hi Trekrider,

Thanks for the great advice!  I am trying to find info on schools in Mayaguez.  I have two kids, 10 and 12.  They don't speak Spanish, so will need immersion/training.  I speak a little and am working on it :)

Yay for good coffee!

Liz

1. Buy a used car, not a new one.
2. Bring ear plugs everywhere.
3. When buying things for your place avoid those made of wood if possible.
4. Get off the island periodically.
5. Wear a hat.

Victorlglass nailed it. Trekrider too.

1. Always consider your security as your first priority - the natives do.

2. Don't ever pay for anything up-front. (Don't ever rely on someone to fulfil their side of a bargain.)

3. Practice defensive driving at all times.

4. Always remember that when the s**t hits the fan, no one is going to take responsibility for their part (no matter how sweet and friendly they may have been beforehand), so plan/ act accordingly.

5. Seek out the historical places and natural habitats - learn the language, history and historical culture. There are many places on the islands of PR that few people know about but that are definitely worth the visit. How many people have been to the tropical bird sanctuary in Guaynabo, for instance? Or the Taino religious site in Utuado? Explore!

Nomad, I love and agree with #5.  All of these are great tips!

Agreed! I have often educated natives on the nature of Puerto Rico...

Language
It isn't the spanish you learned in highschool.

Time
Don't bother being early, locals won't be.

Play dumb
If you make someone very angry, act like an airhead, acting like you know what you're on about and being defensive will make things go 0 to 60 in NO TIME. People are very happy to show you how to if you seem clueless. EVEN IF YOU"RE RIGHT which you most likely are, don't act like it lol

Driving
Don't turn on your blinker or they won't let you through.

Walmart
No. Avoid at all costs.

Spanking
It is normal, it is acceptable, don't stare. Even if she uses her flip flop. Impressive as it looks, I promise it doesn't hurt as much as her hand

Sunday
Don't bother driving in old san juan on sunday. All the locals are doing it and you're just going to sit in traffic.

Sorry, couldn't stop at 5

Haha, avoid Walmart and don't use turn signals :)  Welcome, addicted.to.tight.  I read your profile and looks like you like to move around.  I can understand that and wanting to experience other places.  Looking forward to your insights, as well!

@addicted.to.tights: So true on the blinker.

I've been in Rincon for a year and have never seen anyone hit their kid yet...

Found that encouraging... learned behavior, you end up getting what you give one way or another..

Liz - have you researched the Montessori School in Mayaguez? It's bilingual and very friendly. My son goes there and my daughter will next fall.  They go up to age 14 or so I think...

Thanks Ladylauram!  I will check that out now :)

:) Thanks for all the information. We are in the planning process for Puerto Rico. Rincon is our choice location so far. We look forward to learning much more. We are working on Spanish but it is going slowly..
We live in Denver and are not unhappy we just love the lifestyle and ocean..
Tony and Tamara Stubbs

Welcome to the forum, Tonylstubbs!  I love your profile picture, so cute!  There is a lot of good information here.  My husband and I are retired and are also, looking at the Rincon area.  Have you been to PR before?

Hi Schuttzie!!
Thanks, but it's Tamara that's the cute one..I'm a lucky boy to have her as my partner..
Yes, we were in PR last September. We spent about 10 days in the Rincon area. Snorkeling, Paddle Board, hikes and hanging out..We loved the open air restraunts and bars..We met a great friend, Maria, along with others. Played Golf in Auguadilla (sp) with some friends we met at The Shipwreck Bar and Rest... Also, it was end of season and we were able to have great dinners at most of the Restaurants as it was end of season and they were closing, the prices were great.. We spent $20.00 for some fresh fish off the pier and we fed six people twice and left some fish in the Frig for the next visitor...
We have our next trip planned in August this year.. We are planning on spending 4 or 5 days on Culebra at a B&B owned by the mother of a young man we met here in Colorado...Small World!! Then on to Rincon..
TnT    Tony n Tamara

Sounds like a fun trip planned!

My first trip to the island is in a few weeks. Avoid Walmart because?

Walmart is crazy. The store is a mess and the lines take forever. Pretty much just like all Walmarts though.

It is crazy but I shop there nonetheless due to the prices.

Yes, you must bring your patience to shop at Walmart but you can't beat the prices.

A 6th tip:

Keep the zippers on tennis bags, back packs, surf bags, etc well lubricated with soap.especially if you be using them for a while (in which case don't completely close the zippers). The zippers, particularly if completely zipped up, tend to get stuck with mold. I've lost a surf back and a back pack to this problem.

Regarding traffic, I can't find a map of bus routes. I found timetables for different companies, but no visual aid. It is easier to decided what and where to explore, if I knew where the buses goes. I am sure a few of them are obvious.

I have been working of learning Spanish for a year now. How does the PR Spanish differ from standard Latin American Spanish?

Thanks

Here's a page about the bus routes in San Juan with maps: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/san-juan-bus-routes/

Hi everybody,

Can we please make sure that we are only sharing our top 5 tips to live in Puerto Rico on this thread?  :idontagree:

If you have some questions or you wish to exchange information on an another subject, i invite you to create a new thread on the Puerto Rico forum please.

Thank you

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hmm...

1.Patience. Things can move slow.. and others awkwardly fast. Experience: 1 hour at the bank! vs 9 minutes getting approved for health insurance.

2. Don't expect  things to be catered for your needs. You're not in Kansas anymore. I'ts still latin america. I've seen tourists complain about cashiers in Walmart not speaking english... And at the same time when I lived back home  in North Carolina I never saw a cashier attemp to speak spanish to a mexican. Just something to consider.

3. Try to be thrifty as posible. While groceries are expensive, there's a lot of possibility to grow your own food. healthier too!
4. Be prepared for defensive driving. Probably the scariest thing to do in the island!

5. Make friends with the locals. Don't be a victim to gringo pricing. Let yourself be seen as you live there not a tourist.( Think San Diego tourist/ San Diego back door prices). You'll get better deals and discover a rich, fun and warm culture. We're all "primos and primas". A big family.

Bonus #6  Don't believe everything you hear .. especially crime. This culture tends to exagerate things. A bike goes missing you'll hear it for 2 weeks. From bike goes missing.. by the time it gets to the end of the neighborhood  it ends up like: Bike goes missing, last seen with man with a mask, carrying a gun and  kicking a puppy.  Just use common sense precautionary practices and you'll do just fine.

This one is for taylor_girl. You would have been better off leaving your "bonus" #6 out. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT take crime lightly where you are. You have not been there long enough to advise others on such matters. Crime is a very serious matter in PR. Maybe some of our more informed residents (Gary) could tell you the current murder rate on the island. Just because you haven't experienced any crime doesn't mean it isn't a seriuos matter. I lived there a year and wasn't involved in a crime personally. But when I was there two teenagers about a mile up the road from me killed their uncle and cut off his head. The bank nearby has been robbed 2 times. There have been a number of hit and run accidents on the road to where I lived this year. One person was killed and another incident a woman lost an arm. We have some very well respected members on this forum whose lives have been forever changed by the brutal murder of family members. Don't beep your horn for the guy ahead of you at the traffic light to move when the light turns green. People have had their heads blown off by pissed off drivers who don't think twice about doing things like that. I have a stepdaughter that lives in Ponce and twice has gotten caught in traffic while a gunfight was going on from one car to another. And this was in rush hour. Speak to what you know, which isn't much at this point. I guarantee you that a year from now you won't feel the same about things as you do now. Good luck finding a doctor that will take your free health insurance. Years ago a very smart man told me. " God gave you two ears and one mouth. That should tell you something". Please don't misconstrue this as a personal attack. When it comes to crime in PR, I don't play. But I do wish you well and hope that you are able to achieve and maintain a very nice life for yourself on the island. Just pay very close attention to the old timers on this forum. And don't be afraid to ask questions or for advice.

GreggK wrote:

This one is for taylor_girl. You would have been better off leaving your "bonus" #6 out. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT take crime lightly where you are. You have not been there long enough to advise others on such matters. Crime is a very serious matter in PR..

Couldn't agree with you more Gregg. Violent Crime and drugs are a very real and very dark problem here...never ever underestimate that.

Not taking it lightly but I refuse to be paranoid .   I've been coming to PR for 20 yrs. I'm italian and  half? puerto rican.(grandma) And I can assure you I feel way more unsafe in the states than I do here. I respect your experiences . But in perspective, should I be concerned with the riots in Baltimore.. or the knock out games if I visit state side. Sounds awful no?  I should be able to go if I'm cautious.

In my experience I been a victim of theft ( 4 times)  violence, racism. I had an aunt in NY killed in a hit and run, a stranger dug a grave in my garage while I was away in deployment!. My husband got beat up for being "white".  There was a college shooting in the college my husband attended...All this in the states ( several states. We're military) and I didn't even lived in a bad neighborhood at all.

I do take my precautions. I'm not implying for people to not watch out at all but it is very true that most of the crimes here are drug related.  But some people make it out like you can't even leave a broom outside and that it's just ridiculous.
And at least where I live (my) biggest problem is my neighbors dogs barking.   Appreciate your concern and I'm open  to  advice.

Oh.. almost forgot.  I  did see my "free" Dr for the first time last week. Sweet lady in Saint German.  I had to wait an hour but I did get seen. Small walk in clinic. And I'm grateful for it. Who knew that  after 12 yrs of military service the VA  now doesn't even offer me a lollipop as far as medical. But hey, it's a transition. I'm sorry things didn't work out for you.  But so far it's been good to me and I only  wish new expats will run into great similar experiences.