Top 5 tips to live in Grenada

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Grenada.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Grenada?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Grenada!

Thank you in advance :)

I haven't yet moved to Grenada but have spent a lot of my life there. 
My first tip would be to adopted a relaxed attitude in order to avoid stress, as things are generally done at a slower pace.

Second tip make sure you have sufficient funds while you look for employment or start your own business. As often people don'the realise the Caribbean can be expensive.

Thirdly don'the be afraid to ask questions as most people are willing to lend a helping hand.

1. The Caribbean is not max relax. People are very formal and you should always address people by their surname, if you don't know it sir or madam. Sleeveless shirts are a no-no and you will notice most women wear blazers to work, and no there is no air conditioning!

2. Living in the community keeps you safe. We lived in Belmont, only white family there. Never bothered by anyone. Each street has a local bar, get to know the bar. Actually it is a little like living in a Cheers episode. But that hour you spend once or twice a week buys you the protection of the neighbourhood. The local drug dealer used to tell me if the boys made it safely to school and once the bar called because the youngest passed out at school and didn't have a key. We stayed 10 months and we were part of the community, no doubt about it.

3. Get involved in the hashing community. The hikes are spectacular and once you build your stamina really fun.

4. Get a vehicle- an SUV to be specific. There are so many places to explore the buses won't get you everywhere.

5. Shop in the markets when you can. The fresh Tuna and Mahi Mahi is amazing, bring an extra bag to wrap it in. By local green seasoning and ask someone how to cook with it. You won't regret it!