Top 5 tips to live in Belize

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Belize.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Belize?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Belize!

Thank you in advance :)

1.  Learn from people who have already been here a while, There are as many challenges here as there were wherever you came from...they are just different..Get involved with a church group or civic group and build a social network of like-mined friends.
2. Do not assume things are the same as the states:  You're NOT in Kansas anymore, Dorothy!
3. Do not try to change Belize to be more like what you are used to.  If you miss the American life style...go back and don't ruin it for the rest of us.
4. Treat all the locals with respect. This is their country and we are the guests. It can be easy to forget this especially when local customs don't compute to our way of thinking or when driving:  (dodging horses, bicycles, pedestrians, goats and cabbies stopped in the middle of the road)
5. This one is the hardest for me:   Learn to chill. This country has a wonderful laid back atmosphere. It sounds so good on paper but my type "A" personality is still trying to figure out how to live like that on a daily basis.

In addition to sgliona

Bring high quality bed and bath linens, kitchen cookware and small appliances, and all your spices.

Leave your USA politics & religion there.    The Belizeans and most expats are not interested in your views on these topics.

We are guests here.

Pay attention to and listen to everyone.  ask many questions.    take in the information and balance it with your own ideas and let it sink in before taking actions.

Rent for a year or 2 before you make financial commitments here, like buying land or housing.   This will save you at least $100 k.

My best tip would be to make your move sooner than later. Because of the influx of ex-pats, the prices in Belize are not going down. I live in a newer subdivision in Corozal, the lot prices have jumped over $10,000US in 2 years. If things go south in the states as some forecast, the prices here could skyrocket. At present it is very easy to come and live here.

Skistrail, I read your post. I want to move to Corozal this year. I want to rent first for about a year. Good idea or not?

A lot depends on the type of character you are. I don't mean good or bad, what I mean is If you make up your mind, do you stick with it. I came down to Belize on a weeks vacation. On the third day I said this is it. I bought my property and had a house built on it. If you vacillate on your decision making than renting may be the better option.
It is a different lifestyle than in the states. Things are much slower here. If you are a person that has a repair man come at 9 am and he better be there between 8:55 and 9:05, than you will be frustrated and angry here. Just because they say they will be there at 9AM, you might see them at 11 or 3 or even the next day. You just have to roll with the way things are here. I have been here just over 2 years now, and I am very happy with my lifestyle.

yes, it is a good idea to rent.   do not be in a rush to buy, because if you rush it you will likely pay too much and possibly later change your mind about your location.    there is a lot of property for sale here.   We came in 2013 and rented for a year in the country, then we moved to town on the sea front.   We have been looking at places to buy for 6 months.   Our experience in the country and town have been very helpful.     99% of the property for sale is not increasing in value.   Nice places are sitting on the market for years, even with price reductions..    A few inexpensive places (less than $150k go fairly quickly).