Pursuing a job in Antakya, Hatay province... Need advice

Hello,

I'm an American pursuing a job working for a relief organization dealing with Syrian refugees in Turkey. The job would be based out of Antakya in the Hatay province of Southeast Turkey.

I'm trying to get an idea about ammenities, cost of living, transportation, etc... Which will help me evaluate the job offer (if they offer).

Not sure if it's important to mention but I am American Muslim, and would be bringing my wife who wears a headscarf. Hopefully that wouldn't be a problem.

Any other advice or wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Ryanlogic wrote:

Hello,

I'm an American pursuing a job working for a relief organization dealing with Syrian refugees in Turkey. The job would be based out of Antakya in the Hatay province of Southeast Turkey.

I'm trying to get an idea about ammenities, cost of living, transportation, etc... Which will help me evaluate the job offer (if they offer).

Not sure if it's important to mention but I am American Muslim, and would be bringing my wife who wears a headscarf. Hopefully that wouldn't be a problem.

Any other advice or wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest that whilst waiting for others to reply you read through the posts on the forum categories list, right hand side of this page.

Hello Ryanlogic,

Welcome to Expat-Blog..:)

As Stumpy has suggested you, I would advise you to browse through the different topics available on the Turkey forum like :

1) Find an accommodation in Turkey
2) Cost of living in Turkey
3) Cars Turkey, Transportation in Turkey

I hope the members will respond to you soon..:)

Thank you
Yuveshen

Thank you for the advice and I will definitely take a look.

I was hoping some people could chime in about the particular area in and around Hatay province. I see that it is geographically remote from most of the bigger more cosmopolitan cities in Turkey and I am wondering how that would affect things like cost of living and transportation.

Hi
Antakya is not as large a city as Antalya or Izmir or as developed. Being in the southeast of Turkey it is a bit remote from larger cities. But it is still a beautiful city. It has enough restaurants and coffee shops, shopping centers and a mall with a multiplex. The apartment rents are almost as at par with other cities depending on the size and cost of living would be comparable with other Turkish cities. Many of the women in Antakya wear the headscarf so that will not be a problem at all.