VOIP calls - cheap options to make calls in Muscat?Set up VPN?

Hi folks,
I am coming over to Muscat in two weeks time to start on a new job.What are the cheap options for me to make phone calls?
I read that Skype,Viber,whatsapp etc are blocked but can be used with a VPN.

Is it possible to set up a VPN once I am in Muscat or should it set it up before reaching there?
Is it possible to set up VPN on android phone(motorola)

I also heard that only skypeout(skype to phone) is banned but Skype to skype is possible without a VPN.Is this true?

Please share your insights!

Hi SAK9,

My comments are marked against your queries :

What are the cheap options for me to make phone calls? - renna mobile has special calling rates for India. They are amongst the cheapest and legal.

I read that Skype,Viber,whatsapp etc are blocked but can be used with a VPN. - WhatsApp is not blocked and is freely available. For the rest you would need a VPN account to access.

Is it possible to set up a VPN once I am in Muscat or should it set it up before reaching there? - It is possible to set-up a VPN account provided you know how to do it or know people locally who can help you with that. To open an account you would need a VPN enabled device to access the site first. Easier option would be to come with an active account.

Is it possible to set up VPN on android phone(motorola) - Don't know.

I also heard that only skypeout(skype to phone) is banned but Skype to skype is possible without a VPN.Is this true? - No. All Skype is banned.

Many thanks Sumitran for a very precise answer  :) Looks like I am better off setting up VPN offshore

u can use Hangouts its working

Is hangouts really works in muscat?
Wat other voip options?
How to set vpn and how it works? Wat r the charges? Is it legal?
Is watsapp calling feature open?

Thanks