Economic Citizenship discussion

Hi all! I am aiming to renounce U.S. citizenship within the next 3 years and realize citizenship elsewhere. I have read quite a bit about the economic citizenship (donation or residence purchase) process that Nevis & St. Kitts offers. Has anyone here been through that process? If so, would you share your hindsight on what you had expected, based on your studies, going into the process vs any nuances of the law that you were not aware of until the process was initiated. Any perspective is greatly appreciated; looking forward to chatting with anyone open to discuss!

Joe

Welcome on Expat-blog Joe! :) I hope other members will be able to help you and that you receive lots of replies soon..

Good luck.
Christine

Hi Joe,

It's now more than a year since your post.  Have you made any progress towards SKN?  I'm researching the economic citizenship option now. I, too, have read most of the material available online. Have you learned anything you think would help?  And have you found any other sources of information (online or otherwise)?

Many thanks!

NB

Hi guys, seeing your posts 6 years later. I presume you've probably gone through the process by now. Any feedback as to what the process is like?

Hi.

Id like to try and revise this thread. As I am also an American and looking to renounce. I had some questions in regrads to the Nevis citizenship

Hello thejohnjohn,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

As you have noticed, this thread has not been active for a while now.

My suggestion for you would be to create a new thread on the Saint Kitts and Nevis forum so that you can find some answers. :)

Good luck,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Another question regarding St Kitts, does the government there intend to institute a digital vaccine passport and share that information with international health agencies?  I can see how that could be a problem for ECs.  Antigua has already run into this problem.

theJohnJohn,
My family is about one year behind you in our pursuit. Did you go through with it, and to you have anything to share? We are heading to the island next week...
Thanks,
Jay Young

watchingtheweasels wrote:

Another question regarding St Kitts, does the government there intend to institute a digital vaccine passport and share that information with international health agencies?  I can see how that could be a problem for ECs.  Antigua has already run into this problem.

Am joining in on your question.

All I found is https://www.ciu.gov.kn , that leads me to think it coul be an official link to the St. Kitts and Nevis  economic citizenship program

I know this is very late compared to the original post.I want to renounce my citizenship too.  I got my SKN CBI last June.   

I paid only $125K for the citizenship but the passport, due diligence fees, agent fees, bank fees and cost for gathering the information cost a little less than another $25K.  Now the SKN passport is $250K. There is a SKN website that lists approved agents. 

This is the tricky part.  Some just have gmail.com or hotmail.com e-mail address.  Some don't have a read physical address.   Contact a few.   I wasn't very happy with my agent so shop around. There was a lot of information I had to provide, and it seemed to me they or whoever was sending me the forms didn't know what they were doing or made-up requirements that weren't listed on the SKN list of requirements.     

It took 11 months for me to get my passport, not the 3-5 months advertised.   I was not happy about this since is screwed up my 2023 plans.I visited SKN in late August.  I got a room close to the downtown of Basseterre so I could walk. The people were friendly.  After a day or two the people realized that I was not a normal tourist since I was checking out things that one would want to know if moving there.  It was easy to strike up a conversation with the local people and they gave me plenty of helpful information. 

The infrastructure was a little lacking but the only thing that really bothered me we the heat and humidity since I was walking all around on foot.

@pnachtwey same here. I got my passport after 2.6 years. In my case, there was a lot of back and forth as regards background checks, police records, and so on. I am currently settled in Nevis and loving every bit.

I am keeping all my records for applying for my CBI since it was a hassle getting all of them.  They will come in handy if I want to get a retirement visa in another country.  I am not going to let the effort go to waste.

I visited Nevis.  I took the ferry and I just walked around Charleston and along the ocean.   I wasn't going there as a tourist.  I wanted to see what Nevis is really like, so I walked all around Charlestown checking the place out.   I walked to the hot springs and a little past it to get to the ocean.  I think I could ride bike around Nevis in a couple of hours, but the narrow roads and lack of bike paths make me wonder if it is safe.   The speed limit outside the city is 40mph but cars go by much faster.  I don't know what the tolerance for bicycles going only 15 mph is.   I was disappointed that the Hamilton Museum was closed.