Planning in retiring in panama in the next few years

I'm a healthy 61 y/o single female looking at retiring in panama in the next few years.  I'm an occupational therapist with years of experiences.  I have worked with all ages in numerous rehabilitation and developmental needs. 
I have traveled alone through Central America about 15 years ago and lived and worked in the Southern Africa region. 
So here are my questions.
1.  Is it still possible to have a comfortable living for $1500/ month? (Not looking for royal treatment)
2.  Are there volunteer/ work opportunities for a retired OT.  (I find working helps connect to community)
3.  How would a mature single female fit in
4. Where would you recommend my first panama experience be.
Thanks for any feedback

Hi Sufet,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please note that i have created a separated thread with your post on the Panama forum for more visibility and interaction with the members.

For some starting information about Panama, i invite you to have a look at the other topics on the forum and to have a look at the Panama expat guide.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Yes, it is possible to live on $1500/mo depending of course on where you live and how you choose to spend your money. My husband and I live in David and our budget is around $1100-1200/mo. http://blog.thepanamaadventure.com/3-th … in-panama/  Panama City and areas knows for large expat populations tend to be more expensive.

I'm sure there are volunteer opportunities in your field and in other areas. Work though? I doubt it. It is complicated to get permission to work here, especially in fields that can be filled by Panamanians and the pay rate is low enough you might not think it is worth it. If you land in Chiriqui google Tom McCormack. He brings in medical equipment and outfits many people with artificial limbs, and I would think someone like you could help him a lot.

A mature single female would fit in however you want to fit on. Do you speak Spanish? We have found the people here very friendly and welcoming (though you have to know enough Spanish to communicate). I also notice my neighbors are very aware of any single females living in the neighborhood and keep an extra eye out to be sure they are OK. People here don't seem to care about relationship status, color, religion, or all the other things we are so conscious of in the US. If you are kind, friendly, respectful, and open to friendships you will have a great time.

First experience? What are you looking for? Mountains? beach? city? country? expat community? immersion in Panamanian culture? There is a bit of everything here.

Sufet wrote:

I'm a healthy 61 y/o single female looking at retiring in panama in the next few years.  I'm an occupational therapist with years of experiences.  I have worked with all ages in numerous rehabilitation and developmental needs. 
I have traveled alone through Central America about 15 years ago and lived and worked in the Southern Africa region. 
So here are my questions.
1.  Is it still possible to have a comfortable living for $1500/ month? (Not looking for royal treatment)
2.  Are there volunteer/ work opportunities for a retired OT.  (I find working helps connect to community)
3.  How would a mature single female fit in
4. Where would you recommend my first panama experience be.
Thanks for any feedback