HELP? Moving to the Yucatan

We are leaving from Seattle, driving down to live in a small beach village outside Merida called Chuburna.  We will be entering into Mexico through Brownsville, TX (Nov 6th) and driving along the gulf to get there.  We're driving a 14'box van and caravaning our Jeep too.  There will be 4 of us making the trip. My hubby, son, bro and my self with 2 dogs, 2 cats.

Too many people are trying to talk us out of driving down.  I'm not the paranoid type and am always looking forward to new adventures!  Anybody have a take on doing this drive?  I'd prefer to listen to people that have actually had the balls to venture out and are liven the life!

Any suggestions or does anyone know any body that's driving down around the same time?  Safety in numbers!

Andrea

Hi , I live in Puerto Morelos and have lots of friends who drive down through Texas regularly, if you want to send me a private message with your email I can forward it to them

When I lived there in 1999 there were two couples that came down from Canada in a Suburban and they took turns driving and I think made it in 3 days or so. They had no problems at all. They still had their plates from Canada on the suburban when they got to cancun and kept them there the entire time. The two guys came down to learn to dive. they went out diving with instructors each day. It was strange the girls worked really cheap jobs while they were all there. The guys had to spend a fortune on dive lessons. At the time we lived in Puerto Aventuras and that was not a cheap place to live. We finally moved back into Cancun after about 4 months down there. It was so peaceful down in PA.

They came through Brownsville as well. I think you all will love the drive.

Steve

Mexican highways are deadly dangerous. there is not a friendly state trooper every 2 miles looking out for you. i wouldn't worry so much about banditos as i would about idiot drivers. traffic laws are rarely enforced and it is pretty much a free for all. i have been living here 2 years so feel i am qualified to comment. BE CAREFUL driving and watch the other guy. also have cash because there are toll roads everywhere and it can get expensive. watch the other guy because he is NOT watching you and likely not paying attention to what he is doing either. Seriously, driving is not one of their strong suits. Good luck and have fun.

I agree with Guanajuato Gringa when I was there the road from Cancun to Tulum was a free for all. Every now and then you would see a state policia there but people would run 80 and 90 mph. Lots of kids would come down and rent jeeps and Gosh blow past you. I do think you can do it safely but you will have to prepare like she said and watch out for the other guy. I drove the road from Cancun to Merida as well and the traffic there was very fast. I talked with others that did make the drive from the states to mexico and everyone seemed to enjoy it, One other couple would drive down everytime they came. atleast the traffic once you get to Cancun is slow.,..Crazy but a slower pace.

Sorry i didn't see this sooner. I  made the exact crossing and drive to Tulum 2 months ago. I had a ball and totally enjoyed the drive down.

One tip that I received was to buy some Cokes and candy for the different security stops and it work magic, they thought i was the best gringo ever and waved me thru at other steps after telling me they were called to let them know i had been polite and offered them cold drinks and candy - go figure.

Had no problems and all security forces were Extremely polite tome and nice.

Loved the whole experience.

Larry in Tulum

gringosinparadise.com.mx   check out my blog i have started this to help others move or think about retiring in Mexico.

Hi,

I just got back from Mexico City; we drive down there twice a year and the toll roads are NOT deadly dangerous and the "libre' roads are not bad either but it take much longer. From Mexico city down the roads are a bit more winding.  Keep in mind that you are not in the US and that the driving style is totally different but you'll be ok. Make sure you rest at night and drive by daylight.

andreamph - it has been a while - what was your trip like?  The TV news is full of horror stories - we would like to come the same way.  Cokes & candy sound like a great idea todos larry.

Our trip was great!  Other than Tampico which is not a good place to get stopped by the police, they are all crooked and on the take.  We were advised to not barter and if they want money to ask to be taken to the courthouse.  WRONG!  Not in Tampico!  My advice is give them what they want and get the hell out!  It cost us 800 US.  They had my husband and son in custody for over 2 hours and if they didn't pay it was a night in jail.  They said he ran a red light, which wasn't true, but you can't win. If we had paid him when we were stopped it would have been 100.  Lesson learned!  The rest of the drive was great!  Just don't drive at night and you'll be fine!

We have been in Churburna PTO, 40 minutes outside Merida since November and we love it.  We are on the beach and are living the dream!

Didn't know about the cokes and candy, sounds like a good idea!

Let us know when your coming down!  Always love to meet new people!

andreamph wrote:

Our trip was great!  Other than Tampico which is not a good place to get stopped by the police, they are all crooked and on the take.  We were advised to not barter and if they want money to ask to be taken to the courthouse.  WRONG!  Not in Tampico!  My advice is give them what they want and get the hell out!  It cost us 800 US.  They had my husband and son in custody for over 2 hours and if they didn't pay it was a night in jail.  They said he ran a red light, which wasn't true, but you can't win. If we had paid him when we were stopped it would have been 100.  Lesson learned!  The rest of the drive was great!  Just don't drive at night and you'll be fine!

We have been in Churburna PTO, 40 minutes outside Merida since November and we love it.  We are on the beach and are living the dream!

Sorry to here that about Tampico. I have been stopped in the last 6 years by police 13 times, 11 in Mexicali where I own a house and once in Tijuana and once in Ensenada for going through a stop sign, cost $17.00 at the police station. I have only paid bribes twice, once for no front license plate and once for speeding in Mexicali before someone told me to ask to go to pay at the station and they will go away. This worked when I was stopped for no apparent reason the other 10 times. Twice the Mexicali police told me to follow them to the station and the first time the police stopped across the street from the station and asked again for a bribe and I said I want to go to the station, still had no front license plate and they swore at me and speed off. The motorcycle cop who told me to follow him to the station got to the turnout to the entrance to the large station and speed off. I waited for him in the parking lot there for 20 minutes and left. If they are corrupt as you say I would assume the station is not the place to go to as once you are there there will be more wanting of your money. I paid $25.00 and $45.00. A young guy I worked with had a pee on a dumpster in Tijuana 10 years ago and was taken to jail for 3 days until someone came with $500 to get him out. They asked for $100 he and his friends didn't have on the spot.

Yeah!  It was a bummer!  I'm from So Cal and been going to Rosarito and Ensenada for 40 years.  My folks had a home in Ensenada and my ex husband's folks had on in Rosarito.  Really love it there but not to live.  Wanted warmer weather and water.  We swim right outside our door anytime we want.

I've made this drive a few times. I'm sorry to say it but they saw you coming big time an dyou set another bad precident for the rest of us.

andreamph wrote:

It was 100 degrees, I'm alone in a car with 2 dogs, 2 cats.  My husband and son we're taken away and put behind a 10' iron gate with 10 police.  It was a gov building with no judges to plea bargain with.  It's easy for you to say what you'd do or not do MR BIG SHOT!  We weren't thinking about how it would effect others at the time. 

Please don't reply, I could care less what an insensitive bastard like you has to say about our experience!

I can relate to your predicament in regards to them scaring you into giving them the money they asked for. My ex brother in-law, who lives in Mexicali, was stopped supposedly for going through a red light at 1:00 AM on a Saturday night, Sunday morning, and told the police he wouldn't pay what they asked for and ended up at the police station where the desk Sargent was asking for $300.00 not the $50.00 the other two had asked for. My ex sister in-law went down to the station at 4AM with the $300.00 to get him. The next day [Monday] it cost him $50.00 more to get his car back. This was about 7 or 8 years ago.

When I leave my house either in San Luis Potosi or Mexicali I carry $50.00, my passport, a copy of my Mexican Acta De Matrimonio [marriage license] and my tourist visa always. I had my car in San Luis Potosi for 18 months and never got stopped even on the highways going from city to city except at military checkpoints and they just checked the trunk and suitcases quickly.