How much i can earn with raise a pig

gonzrule wrote:
sirrobcentral wrote:

Excuse me if I appear cynical but aren't you retired? If so why not sit back and enjoy your self? You come to one of the poorest countries in the world and you want to make money....

I've been reading your comments in other posts, and you surely have my attention.

Yes, the country is poor and that is a fact, but it is definitely not one of the poorest countries in the world for you to malign business opportunities here. Everywhere in the world, there will be people who will take advantage of you when they notice you know nothing of the ins and outs. If you remain negative about everything here, then I don't see any reason why you should stay here in the first place.

I once worked elsewhere, and I came back to my country. I ventured into food and catering business and events organizing business. There is money. THERE IS ALWAYS MONEY WHEN YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE OF YOUR ENDEAVOR, with the right mix of strategy, human resource and finance management. Of course, to earn money you'll need optimism, patience, dedication and a lot of hard work.

I don't mean to judge you, but you need a bit of optimism in your life.

Giovannigio, if you want to venture into swine industry, you can PM me. I have regular suppliers of pork and lechon, and I order frequently. We can talk in private if you want to know how our suppliers work to maximize their profit.

Sirrobcentral is quite knowledgeable in expat living in  the Philippines,  I would not characterize  him as negative.  On the other hand, saying that anyone can make money with the right mix of strategy,  human resource and dedication is rather optimistic.  In addition, earning money does not mean earning a living wage .

Yes, you are exactly right. The Philippines is at #68 from the bottom, this out of a group of 196 countries. Not saying that is good or bad, just presenting facts.

gonzrule wrote:
sirrobcentral wrote:

Excuse me if I appear cynical but aren't you retired? If so why not sit back and enjoy your self? You come to one of the poorest countries in the world and you want to make money....

I've been reading your comments in other posts, and you surely have my attention.

Yes, the country is poor and that is a fact, but it is definitely not one of the poorest countries in the world for you to malign business opportunities here. Everywhere in the world, there will be people who will take advantage of you when they notice you know nothing of the ins and outs. If you remain negative about everything here, then I don't see any reason why you should stay here in the first place.

I once worked elsewhere, and I came back to my country. I ventured into food and catering business and events organizing business. There is money. THERE IS ALWAYS MONEY WHEN YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE OF YOUR ENDEAVOR, with the right mix of strategy, human resource and finance management. Of course, to earn money you'll need optimism, patience, dedication and a lot of hard work.

Giovannigio, if you want to venture into swine industry, you can PM me. I have regular suppliers of pork and lechon, and I order frequently. We can talk in private if you want to know how our suppliers work to maximize their profit.

I apologize if I appear synicle. My intentions are sincere. Allow me to make clear my reasoning for being stern. When I arrived here in the Philippines in July 2013 I was at the airport and met a gentleman from England. This poor guy was so disgruntled and bitter with his stay in the Philippines. He was headed home to England. He told me about the past 5 years of his stay here. He had been coned by his in-laws into getting a business  (a Sari Sari)  they stole from the store, lied about sales and caused a rift between him and his wife. I then met a few others with that same storyline. I also have net many Expats here that are as happy as a sissy in boystown. I'm one them and I  can only guess that's because I'm not trying to get into business and neither are they. So from my perspective those who are here as pensioners that are just mozeing along have a better quality of life here.

I in no way am disgruntled I'm simply trying to be straight forward about it. Yes the Philippines is a great emerging country. This is by far from being a Third World country rather it's considered a developing nation because it's very modern and it's finding its place in the High Tech global market.

With that being said is why even more that we foreigners need to use caution before trying to get into business ventures here because the risk are so high and the average age of the pensioner is 60+. At that age the stress alone can kill you. The reason why pensioners come here are for rest and ease of financial situation. Not to hit it rich.

gonzrule wrote:
sirrobcentral wrote:

Well, initially, Giovannigio just wanted to raise a pig, as in one pig, and wanted to see if it was worth it. I think one of the answer that was straight to the point was about raising it free range, where it can also be a rototiller, and feed it scraps, such as fruit and vegetable peel, with cheap rice bran from a mill and an occassional pig feed. But you will lose money if you build a concrete sty and feed it exclusively with hog feed.

When I was a child, my grandma raised a pig or two, in her back yard, feeding it with scraps and rice bran. She timed slaughtering it to be just before the town fiesta or some other festival so she does not have to buy pork for the fiesta for cooking dishes like embotido, menudo, afritada, etc.  She got a bit of money selling some of the meat to neighbors for their dishes for the fiesta. It is a very very micro backyard industry. It was more like a hobby for her.

Other posters commented on the profits when one invests in a farm. The one who looked like he made the most money on the venture is a veterinarian, for obvious reasons. You know, you do need to hire a veterinarian or someone trained in animal husbandry to check the health of the pigs and administer the vaccination. It costs money.

My parents set up a pig farm to help an acquaintance who was a co-member of a religious group. They set up a concrete sty complete with piping for water. But the acquaintance, who was made the farm's caretaker, was not mindful of the pigs and sometimes used their feed for his fighting cocks. The expensive piping was stolen one night. They caught the culprit who sold the pipes by the kilo. There was nothing that my parents could do at this point. They sold the remaining pigs and closed the farm.

After a few years, they decided to re-open the farm, this time adding female pigs / layers. They hired a caretaker. One cannot go in this venture without hiring the services of a vet. Sometimes, the price of feed increases or piglets die. They did make a bit of profit, but it was not worth it, since they had to drive from Manila to Batangas every now and then to check on the condition / progress of their venture. At one time, we slept at the house my parents built near the farm. Really I could not sleep because of the stench.  It was horrible! We sprayed Lysol and air freshener. And put Vick's vaporub under our noses. Eventually, my parents decided t close the farm.

Back in the US, I set up a LLC, selling Philippine coffee online. It was a small business. I did strategizing. I was human resource and financial manager. I can't afford hiring people like these. If only "optimism, patience, dedication and a lot of hard work" are what's needed in a business to be successful, I would have made a lot of money on that venture.

From my experience, one also needs LUCK, which came to me here in the Philippines. I run a small business here.  At one time I accepted to do a task for a client that other subcontractors didn't want to do because they said it was risky. But it was actually doable. For me, it was just another project and I just wanted to help my client. I didn't expect that what I did made a very good impression on my client, and since then I was given priority among other subcontractors to do their projects all over the country. Now I have my own house and can afford to send my kids to good schools.

I wonder which posts by sirrobcentral you read. He is actually a very optimistic expat when it comes to living here in the Philippines. The ones he was pessimistic about are his experiences in living in the US. He states that people here are actually very friendly. What he meant by his post is that expats should just sit back, relax and enjoy their retirement. He implied that when you start a business, it's like working again. And there's also risks where you might lose your money.

I sometimes see a guy who's homeless walking down the street. According to those with whom he has spoken, the guy is from Nigeria. He used to have a business here. But his Filipino wife took everything from him. Now he's penniless as he walks the street, relying on the kindness of others. Each time I see him, he looks worse. I think he's slowly becoming insane.

There's no such thing as " THERE IS ALWAYS MONEY WHEN YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE OF YOUR ENDEAVOR." in running a business. There should be a bit of negativism and hesitation mixed in with optimism. It would be unwise to just throw caution to the wind.

if you are bored try some gardening grow some fruits or vegetables, your neighbours will eat them for you but it will keep you busy, enjoy your retirement be wary of pinoys advice how to get rich, look at them are they ? pigs are too much work and expense, its better to watch and know were your money is going than looking for ways to make more.

I'm trying to finish your maths…
Total revenue: 11720 P
Pig, 100 kilos, bought for: ?
The butcher: 500 P
Profit: ?
----
Here is my little recent experience, while visiting some friends in Negros Or.
Every Wednesday morning they buy a 100 kg pig for about 8000 P.
They slaughter it Saturday morning at 4.
By 9 it's all gone (all pre-orders). They are always short of the demand.
They make a profit of about 3000 P (share in 2), and they could sell more if they had the budget to buy a second pig…
I did proposed to lend the money at a small interest for 1 week to buy a second pig every week.
It is not because I'm looking for a big profit, but this is exactly how Filipinos like to make business and live happy. The "risk" is very limited for me, and I can go along with them on a short term investment. It is up to them to go as far as they could possible (reasonably) go. I think they have the possibility, over a few months, to expend their little business to maybe 5 pigs a week… This is how you can make the difference for them while developing friendship.

thanks  you are right

For your information.

I lived 6 years in Vietnam (where I am now, until I move the Philippines in May). I was visiting the Philippines for 3 weeks, just a few weeks ago. I spent some time comparing the prices of many things. Here in Vietnam, the cost of pork (I will use $US) at the local market is about $6 a kilo, compare to $3 in the Philippines. Beef is $12 per kilo (yes!), compare to $4 a kilo… am I right? Fish here is about $5-6 compare to $2-3… etc. And I still feel that Vietnam is cheap, budget wise. But, for the cost of living, the Philippines beats all the South East Asia countries (5) I visited and stayed during the last 8 years.

Here I'm renting a 2-bedroom apartment on a the 6th floor, with a view on the ocean at 1 km for $190, versus the bungalow I just rented in the Philippines for $40… directly on the beach!

But the BIGGEST riches of the Philippines are it's people… and they all speak English. I never could learn Vietnamese because it is too difficult. After 6 years, I made just a handful of Vietnamese friends, versus 2 handful just during my last 3 week visit.

HERE ALSO pick 5 o 6 $ per kilo but also beef is 6 to 7  $ per kilo, i mean in philippines

In Dumaguete, and going south, where I was, pork was going for 150 P ($3), that was an everage for the best parts…

I did not had the chance to eat beef… is it chewable…

in bohol, pork just meat even no fat, cost 250 o 220 per kilo in peso, i saw dumaguete is cheaper then Bohol, sure also depend what kind of meat, sure become cheaper with bones and fat,

By not owning a pig. You make 1&1/2 pigs a year. + goat & chickens, vegetables & fruit. Some money but you loose a little on that. But a small house for P-10,000 Also rice.  I figure this on the wife has 200 meter by 200 meter of high river bottom ground. I figure this on her Father who never parts with money! Pays in pig to till a 200 meter garden strip they think belongs to 2 clans.  & graze rights. Her uncle Fathers side has a goat farm. He pays in goat, milk, & cheese. for graze. No money. I can not keep track of who all pays in chickens or vegetables. On her Moms side her Grandmother who owns the big place. Provides all labor for harvest & sale of coconuts, mango, ,lime,lemon, banana. Supervision.  She is a skilled at management. That produces some money.  That goes for new fence, well, pump, & such. Some fire wood is produced. That is sold or wife runs of with it to trade some for rice out of family.  Little  money there. On house family provides all sand from river, all cement, all hand cast blocks, We provide 1 tree for lumber. there were 3 trees for this now 2 are left. With luck when family is done this year. We should run a loss of about P-5000 this year after they spend all profit. They claim they need small house there for person to be guard, fence 4 strand to keep others bullock, goats, pigs of property.  We have had no problem with theft there. But it sets between her fathers clan, &, her mothers clan on property.  Also road is dirt at times to muddy to make in with 4 wheel drive. But close enough both clans can walk to it.  This is how you farm in the Philippines if not there.  Also no electric there only well water. We hope to turn a profit in the future.  But this is how you farm if not there in the Philippines to only loose a little money a year. As all profit seems to go for upgrades. They love to spend your money here.

it is nice

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please post in english only on the anglophone forum. thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

No, they do not all speak English. And some have just learned to fake it, smile in your face, give you wrong info, say yes boss and keep going. I'm not hatin' just being honest.

With piggaries there is a window when you have to sell or slaughter. Ortherwise they will eat your profits, literally. With the window your business is then subject to market variables, which sometimes includes knowing that the stock is owned by a foreigner.

Thank you for this information

Hello people. I would like to do business in raising piglets. No experience in raising. I hv read all your comments, ive been watching videos on raising and ask some relatives if its profitable to do. But having heard it from this chat helps a lot. My family is considering it and every decision counts. Thanks for your comments. I am hoping there is an update conversation on this chat.

thank you for now, i wanted have some information and do my count. then if i want to do i will contact you.

thanks for business plan guys

Here in cabuyao laguna a pig farm, it is 3 km far from my home.its smell ohhhhhhhhhhhaaahahah, it is good business but  it's smell  make you mental

If you need ask. I would consider it a 4H program.   Some kids did well. Some lost money in doing it. All learned something. Much depended on the market that year. As to price.  Much of it was in learning to manage feed so very little loss to the pound of pork.

Hi Marathon1946,

My wife owns some land near Roxas city  and we're interested in setting up a piggery.
If we were to set up a 100 pig piggery.How much land do you think we will require to have such a set up?

Hi Filcan,

Is there any tips you can give if I was to set up a 100 heads piggery?

thanks and regards

AlegreViajero wrote:

For your information.
Here I'm renting a 2-bedroom apartment on a the 6th floor, with a view on the ocean at 1 km for $190, versus the bungalow I just rented in the Philippines for $40… directly on the beach!

I presume these prices are per night?

Hi Marathon,

I am guessing you meant Tubaran,   i have set  up my bro in law with 4 sows.

he lives in Banban so nearby.

I am wondering what you feed your pigs as we are currently buying 50 Kg bags of feed from Bogo, and was hoping to find cheaper way to feed them.

Any advice much appreciated

Dave

In the southern Philippines.  I believe you could make more money in selling both electric & gas space heaters.  I soo no compitition there in this business.  Much better than selling pigs it would be.

plantation,,and livestock best business,,in the south of philippines

they all speak english, I cant find anyone who knows what iam talking about, they just laugh when i ask something , but most will reply with a answer nothing to do with my question,
only in places like angeles city locals and girls from all over speak english,
best advise on raising pigs, forget about it dont waste your money

yes i saw it is a hard work

Sir i have a question. If i rise 10 pigs, how much will be the cost, piglets, feeds, ...?

also.. a 100 kg pig is not good for lechon.. its too big and old. nobody will buy a 100kg pig.. 40-60kg is much better

I will try to explain sir, cow or pigs are both good and profitable. But it depends an how you rais pig/pigs. If you choose pig. Then rais a pigs but not only one head. Make it tree to five heads. Because if u raise only one, ur just wasting ur time.  U can buy one piglet for 1500 in a province but this worth im sure its not completed the medicine or vaccine's that piglets needed thats why its cheap. Better u buy the piglets with complete vaccine even its worth 2500 but not  easy to get sick.. One pig can eat a feeds worth 1000 a month. After four months it is ready to market. Approximately average of 100-120 kg per head. If u sell it in live weight itvis good. In our province live weight price is 95. Then they butcher and sell in market for 120-130 per kg.   Now for ur profit.
Let say ur pig got 110kg per head.
110x95=10,450
10,450-2500(piglet)=7950
7950-4000(feeds)=3950
3950(your profit) x 5 heads of pigs = 19750
19750÷4months=4937monthly profit...

Sorry im not good in english but im sure u can understand.hehe

The wisest words here by far.... Sell electric or gas space heaters in the southern Philippines where there is no competition and your inventory will not spoil !

By quick mental estimate and based on experience and being an optimist and all, if current price of piglet is Php2,500 and you needed the money in 3 mos. (That's how long you should only keep the pigs to avoid big losses). My experience tells me you shouldnt raise pigs less than 20 heads a batch. Because 5 of that when sold on fair market value is about the total cost of all expenses in 3 mos. For all 20 heads. It means, 20-5=15 heads when sold, that's approximately all income, your money. Regular markwtable pigs, when properly managed can weigh 80kg a head. Sell that for 140kg live x five and thats how much you are supposed to spend for all 20  heads in 3 mos. So forget about the 5 heads out of your 20 pigs. 15 heads is where you can start counting. I always count my pigs in groups of 20 for a quick estimate.  If the money or income is considerably low, something's obviously amiss. That's when you start digging into the details. But ordinarily this formula applies. In short, call it a cottage industry, just a not a very small cottage industry.  Always start by 20's, not 1, not 5, not 10, maybe you can get away with 15.  But in 20s, its a very simple arithmetic.

Oh, i think it's just fair to suggest that always invest first in a suitable land or farm away from the neighbors because ehen business booms, they are the first to complain you to the mayor. So i also suggest, whenever possible, hire the children, the husbands or even the wives. Give then a fair compensation. That'll shut their mouths up and will even be your first defense against invasion.

Like you, I am reading all the above comments and advice from various expats about possibly raising pigs.  It amazes me to think an expat could dream of finding profit in such a venture!  If you live in the Province, why not simply continue to enjoy your hobby of raising fresh vegetables  in the back yard garden? 
Still fixed on building a piggery and  raising a pig or two?  As a foreigner, you might add to your neighborhood popularity , by possibly donating one of your pigs to the annual fiesta !

You can net 6 million pesos per year with a 100 head piggery but you need to know what you are doing.

That's P60,000 per pig, or $1200.00  US per pig !

Piggeries can be modestly profitable if done with the right intentions. Most ideas that are garnered around solely making money tend to be like pipe dreams and schemes of getting over somehow. If you start with a small piggery you can learn the ins and outs, but also I would suggest you actually have an interest in general farming as well, and not be a detached proprietor.

As far as all this talk about Piggeries being such a burden, you should practice natural farming-- Koreans have been practicing natural pig farming for who knows how long (I dont know the history) but Piggeries dont need to be a smelly disgusting investment crisis'. Practicing natural farming which should be considered just normal farming but somehow modern agriculture has become so convoluted and consumer obsessed--think of the monoculture of apple trees in America, the soil is poor, pest and disease problems make for more problems and more money to adhere the decline/over-compensation tactics of a passable "product" that tastes like cardboard, and the land is poorly utilized for growing just one thing!

--anyway, figure out your intentions and if you truly want to raise pigs then learn about what it takes to raise a pig and not how much money you can make and if its worth the effort. If you fail, you fail, just dont invest your money in a huge operation, that would be dumb.

As far as natural farming, if you ever go into a forest, which the Philippines largely still is, a very natural habitat, you wont smell animal feces, this idea is the premise of natural pig farming and using microorganisms to make a healthy and less work piggery.

In ilocos norte, I've been told you can sell a pig at about 8-10k after 3-4 months of raising. Raising 10 pigs, gets you profit of maybe 50k at 5k each-- if you consider your costs for living like a Filipino then 50k is a lot even for 3-4 months.