Do most people finance through banks on the island?

The name is Kenny and though my wife and I are just at the beginning of our journey to the island life we look forward to becoming expats and relishing in this radically different lifestyle. I am 44 and she is 43 and we are moving from the state of Wisconsin. All our 4 children are grown up just waiting on my youngest to graduate from high school so we can move on in life. I have read many comments about the island and have been around the entire island. I seem to prefer the rainforest coast more but have nothing bad to say about the west coast as Rincon  was awesome also.Currently we are in the financing stages of our home. Do most people finance through banks on the island? Once thats done then we will have to fly over and choose one. Any info on good realtor's or lawyers for documentation is appreciated. For now thats where we are at.... here's to a great new journey!! Take care all and thanks in advance for any input.

Hi Kenny,

welcome to Expat.com! :)

A new topic has been created as from your post on the Puerto Rico forum.

I can recommend lawyers but I need to know what area of the law suits your situation first.

Our realtor was [email protected] Alberto Hernandez. We were very happy with him and he has worked with many people at my husband's company. Good luck with the move!

@ suzanne12345 > Thank you for this sharing of information. :)

I invite you to recommend this person in the business directory here : https://www.expat.com/en/business/centr … erto-rico/

Thank you for your help

Priscilla

You will find it difficult, if not impossible, to finance a home in Puerto Rico with a non-Puerto Rican Bank.  My New York banks said "no way". In PR I opened accounts in local banks.

We bought a condo last year in Fajardo and financed it through FirstBank. We had a great real estate agent who handled everything. I've bought several properties and this transaction was about as smooth as they come.