Hiring a nanny

Hi we just moved to Nairobi with family. I m a mother of 1.5 yr old twin girls. I was looking for a nanny desperately. I live in appartments in Brookside area. My maid here suggested me her neighbour whom I interviewed. The lady got me her reference letter from her previous employer. I have kept a copy of that. She apparently worked for some UN employees for 6 yrs where she earned 9000 shillings per month.

I did offer her job and told her that I am going to try her for 1 month and see if it works. I offered 12000 shillings per month. My questions are:

1. Is the reference provided good enough or do I have to check anything else? If so, what should I be looking for?
2. Is that a decent enough salary?
3. Do I have to pay her extras like transport costs, insurances and any other expenses, if any?

Thanks very much in advance.

1. Is the reference provided good enough or do I have to check anything else? If so, what should I be looking for?

He should be enough. You can always call or contact previous employer. Keep a photocopy of ID and take a picture as well. Keep her full address in Nairobi and up-country and get details of relatives (parents, brother/sister). if you want to, you can also pay a full medical check-up, mostly to check lungs and other common diseases (as well as HIV status after employee's approval only).

Probation period is usually three months and not one month. You can try her for one month, then give her a contract after a month mentioning the probation period of three months. Then, after three months, a confirmation letter is needed.

2. Is that a decent enough salary?
It is a decent basic salary.

3. Do I have to pay her extras like transport costs, insurances and any other expenses, if any?
Yes, you have to...
1/ If you don't provide accommodation, then "House allowance" is required and usually 15% of basic salary.
2/ You must purchase two uniforms, twice a year.
3/ "Food allowance" is also required, you can provide cash or purchase food yourself; but always keep receipts.
4/ "Travel allowance", meaning you should pay return transportation to her home once a year, same keep receipts.
5/ "Medical insurance" is mandatory since 2007. Contact any health insurer, basic covers start at 35 000 Kshs/year
6/ NSSF (national pension fund) is mandatory since Nov. 2009

THanks a lot pepruka. I have read your other posts and replies and you are just awesome.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Hi twinfun,

Seems like peperuka pretty much covered everything but I just wanted to add a few things...

There is a babysitting agency in Nairobi (Kenya Sitters Enterprises) that helps you with all this, they do the interviews and background checks for you and you get to try them out and request for another babysitter whenever you don't feel comfortable with one.

Only downfall is that they don't provide live-in nannies. Are their nannies reliable and trustworthy? Only one way to find out...