Visa extension

Hi.I am in Kenya at the moment and I want to extend my visa. I live with my Fiancee in Nairobi but travel on a tourist visa as residency costs are a joke and its cheaper to travel that way in the long term.
My existing visa runs out on 11th March. Last year I was in Kenya for 3 months and had to extend it for a further 3 months due to personal problems.
I went back to Malta in December 2014 before the extension expired but returned to Kenya on this current visa after 8 days as my fiancee needed me back here.
What do you think the possibilities are that i can extend it again on this current visa as my fiancee still needs me here?
In 9 months I've only been out of Kenya for the 8 days.
I hope someone can guide me on this as I dont want to go into town to find it will be refused for whatever reason.
I look forward to your replies
Kindest Regards

If I read this correctly, you re-entered Kenya on the visa that you originally extended by 3 months?  How did you manage that unless you had a multi-entry visa?  You would normally need to get a new 3 month visa when you re-enter Kenya, unless you have visited another country in the East African Community.  You can then extend this for a further 3 months, before leaving the country to restart the cycle.

It is my understanding that you cannot extend a normal visitors visa twice.  You would therefore be expected to leave the country for a few days, then return.

It seems that whatever advice that you get on here, you have to choose whether to go to immigration and try and apply to stay longer, or get yourself a ticket out of there before next Wednesday.  DO NOT under any circumstances be tempted to overstay, even if it is by a few hours.  This offence is taken very seriously.

hi longonot62
thanks for your reply
I had a visa in June 2014 and extended it for 3 months to December 5th 2014.
This was due to my fiancee miscarrying in August and she needed me here as she wasnt coping with it.
I left Kenya on 4th December 2014 before the extension expired and returned to Malta.
I returned on 11th December 2014 and got a new 3 month visa when I re entered Kenya as she needed me back here..
This new visa expires on 11th March 2015 and this is the visa I want to extend for a further 3 months if possible as she still isnt coping well and still needs me here.
so I left the country for 8 days in between visa's.
I dont know if I can extend this visa as I extended the previous one?
Any advice you can give on this would be very grateful as I dont want to go to Nyayo House if theres a possibility they would refuse it.

I get you now!  I would have though that you'd be OK to apply to extend this visa.  I know of expats that consistently live in Kenya on extended 3 month visas and do not appear to have any problem extending them.  As far as I am aware, there is nothing in the 'rules' which puts any limit on the number of times you can extend a 3 month single entry visa.  Don't forget to register as an alien at the same time as you apply to extend. :)

hi longonot62.
thank you for your reply
its been very helpful to us
we will go to Nayayo House on friday and apply
Kindest regards

hi
i forgot to mention one thing
When I applied for my extension last year I asked about Alien registration and was told not to bother.
I think this time I will insist as i will be travelling between Malta and Kenya frequently.
I guess Immigration will tell me what I need to do and how much it will cost when I go to extend my visa.
Thanks again Longonot62 for all of your advice
Kindest regards

I also think you can extend your visitors visa however many times you want. I used to do it several times before getting married. Actually, I got tired of the leaving and coming and because we were engaged (and I was pregnant), we eloped and got married at the courthouse. Decided we knew we wanted to be married, so to have the marriage finalized and have the big one later to save on the paperwork. The dependants pass you get when married makes life so much easier and you get a re-entry pass stamped in your passport (renewable every 2 years at a cost of like 200 bob) that allows you to come and go into Kenya as you please. Anyways, that is my suggestion, if it's possible...to extend and then go through with the courthouse, seeing as you're already engaged.

Hi, As far as I am aware, alien registration is a legal requirement from the 90th day onwards of your stay.  The problem with not getting it is the risk of arrest when you attempt to leave Kenya.  This happened to my daughter and it was only because my wife is well connected that my daughter was allowed through the airport to board her flight.   For that reason, I always apply.

Tracy;  thanks for your post.  However, don't forget that despite the change in law, it does seem to be harder for a man to get a dependants pass, as there appear to be entrenched beliefs that a man is the provider and therefore can't be dependant upon a woman.

immigration.go.ke/
regards  Danilo

hi, have you extended your visa since you came in? Because you can extend it for another 3 months at a cost, but note you can only extend it once after that you may have to leave the country and return. You are right Longonot about it being harder ( impossible for a man to get dependents  pass, for a woman its easier to get. However all said and done the best thing is to get to immigration before days run out otherwise the harassment can be exhausting.