Sofia

Hi Guys,
soon moving to Sofia, and I was wondering if you could describe the city for me.
How many neighborhoods, where to live and where NOT to live. How isthe public transportation and is it working at night? Is it safe to go back home at night walking?
Well any kind of practical info will be really welcome in order to help me moving!!!
Thanks a lot

Elsa

Hi,

you lived in a lot of great countries, I am impressed ;)

Sofia is more or less the safest city in Bulgaria, because police presence is high (in some areas) and so on. Sofia has changed in the past 5 years and is now like every other capital in Europe, at least much safer then Bukurest for example.

Like everywhere else in the world there is crime, but it's more concentrated on armed robbery, burglary, import/export of drug's etc - In other words murder, rape and other "personal" crimes at at a "normal" level for the city.

It's much more likely to get hit by a car, then to be robbed in Sofia. That's something I am not joking with - As soon as you step out of your apartment you have to be very careful as a pedestrian. Public transportation is currently undergoing a big "renovation", our metro is being expanded into more different areas.

In your case, I wouldn't suggest you using public transportation - taxi's are still very cheap and the best option to get around in Sofia. And the safest. If using a Taxi use ONLY "O.K. SUPERTRANS - О.К. Супертранс" (973 21 21) - other taxi companies can rip you off eventually.

Walking alone at night is a bad idea for a women, especially after 11PM. Better use a taxi, or have a (male) friend with you. If alone, try to avoid places where you're the only person outside. Crowded areas (Sofia center where various discos, bars, pubs etc are) are generally safe at night.

Best areas to live are the central ones like Lozenec, Beli Brezi, Hipodruma, Ivan Vazov, Emil Markov.

Try to avoid areas like Lulin, Druzhba, Mladost, Ovcha Kupel, Banishora, Zona B5 especially at night.

If you search a cheap  place to live you will probably find it in "Studentski Grad" (e.g. Student City), a place where 70% of Sofia's students live and study.

If you need more info write ;)
Georgi

Thank you really much for your help!!! Now being crazy on my computer trying to find a flat!! :D
Another question:
prices between furnished and unfurnished flats are quite different, is it easy to buy furniture in Sofia, and is it expensive? Our budget on arrival wont be that big, but i d go for an unfurnished flat if i know i can choose my bed and not too expensive.
So if anybody has tips on where to buy furniture...

Thank you!!

elsa

imoti.net/ is Bulgaria's biggest site for flats, rentals and so on. When entering, click ot the top right of the site on english ;)

They shouldn't be so different, also keep in mind that f.e. an apartment is listed for 300EUR you can make it 250EUR - you have to bargain. If you need any assistance let me know.
Keep in mind, that apartments with furniture are quite rare and mostly too expensive. Expect to pay around 200-150EUR for a 100m2 apartment in Sofia's central areas (that I listed above). Electricity is relatively cheap (20-30EUR/month if you're not heating!), water around 5-10EUR per month.

Furniture is quite expensive in Sofia. We simply don't have a IKEA, so you have to rely on local shops. I prefer COMO (como.bg) and AIKO (aiko-bg.com), they are more or less like IKEA (relatively cheap and average quality).

hey guys,
Other practical questions....
I have my own mobile phone, how and where charge it in Sofia??
Then, regarding bank accounts, how does it work, is it easy? Can I go to any bank and open one with my passport, do I need an adress first? ajob??
Thank you!!
Elsa

Charge it? I didn't understand that.

Bank accounts can be opened up in 5 minutes, you just need a valid passport. Usually for foreign costumers they don't require an address. A job is not needed. I prefer "Unicredit Bulbank".

Thank You Georgi!! You re fabulous!!!
Sorry, for the mobile phone 5 meant, whereand how to buy a Sim Card, and credit for the phone?

Almost anywhere, watch out for green "GLUBUL" and red "M-TEL" signs, those are our two leading operators.

You can buy a prepaid card and charge it, or make a contract. If you plan to stay more then several months in Bulgaria I would suggest to make a contract, since it's cheaper then using a prepaid card - but you'll need a valid address in Bulgaria.

Greetings