Clarification needed please

I'm looking to relocate to Bahrain to be with my fiance. He can't sponsor me as we're not married and he works in Saudi. I am currently looking for work in Bahrain.

Can I clarify... I know I can't work on a visit visa, but am I allowed to look for work?

If so, what happens re visas if I do get employment? Can I just apply for a work visa and stay, or would I have to come back to the UK and re-enter using my work visa?

Jenniep wrote:

I'm looking to relocate to Bahrain to be with my fiance. He can't sponsor me as we're not married and he works in Saudi. I am currently looking for work in Bahrain.

Can I clarify... I know I can't work on a visit visa, but am I allowed to look for work?

If so, what happens re visas if I do get employment? Can I just apply for a work visa and stay, or would I have to come back to the UK and re-enter using my work visa?

As far as what I can read from this link Local Transfer from Visit Visa to Work Visa

You can transfer your visa !

Even if you're not looking to work and just stay as a resident , being a UK Citizen you're eligible for a 5 year Multiple Re-entry visa !
Which allows you to stay for 28 days per visit !

Thanks! Am I limited to a certain amount of visits, or can I make as many as I want/need?

gunner757 wrote:
Jenniep wrote:

As far as what I can read from this link Local Transfer from Visit Visa to Work Visa

You can transfer your visa !

Even if you're not looking to work and just stay as a resident , being a UK Citizen you're eligible for a 5 year Multiple Re-entry visa !
Which allows you to stay for 28 days per visit !

NEVER GET THE 5 YR MULTI ENTRY/EXIT it means you have to fly out every 28 days.

Just come in on a visit visa - BD20 for 3 months, then go to ministry and pay another BD20 for another 3 months, then you have to fly out and come back in again. The flying out every 28 days will cost a fortune whilst on the visit visa you only need to fly out twice a year.
You can job hunt when you are here and if you get a job they will transfer your visit visa to a work visa.

Yes what Josnuggles said ....get a 3 month visit visa at airport. Can be then extended ...meanwhile if you find work they will transfer you to a work visa.
Nothing is stopping you seeking employment on a visit visa.
However if you are in the country seeking work, you probably will be hired as a local hire so you may miss out on a lot of the benefits that come with the expat packages!
You may not be able to rent a place in your name with no contract in hand. But your fiancé should be able to as he'll have his and saudi residency I presume. (Could be wrong but my landlord wanted proof of my work as I had no local residency)
Without local residency you'll also not be able to open bank accounts or get loans, but you can rent a car no issues.

Thanks!

Another question - will they query WHY I want to stay for longer - I'm not sure if they'd accept looking for work or visiting my fiancé?!?

I doubt they'd ask really. Even at airport immigration he just said how long you plan to stay and I said 2-3 months he didn't bat an eyelash or ask anything. On the form I just put visiting husband. If I need to extend my visit visa I'll just say I'm staying longer to be near him.

Coming on a visit visa would let you stay 3 months , and again its extendable !

So yeah as Josnuggles said , it's better and you don't have to fly out every 28 days like the 5 year Multiple Re-Entry Visa

You won't have any hurdles if you want to stay longer !

I must say , Bahrain is the only country in GCC with liberal residency laws :)

Thanks - I think we'll be going down this route if I don't find work in the meantime :)

I know I can extend my visa, but do I have to have a booked return flight to get a holiday visa?

Jenniep wrote:

Thanks - I think we'll be going down this route if I don't find work in the meantime :)

I know I can extend my visa, but do I have to have a booked return flight to get a holiday visa?

Nope. I didn't as work had booked me a one way flight  :D

:D:D

the Ministry's website says that those expecting to get a tourist visa on arrival should arrive with a return ticket. That doesn't necessarily mean it's upheld in practice but it doesn't mean either that you won't be risking being turned back if you arrive at check-in in the UK with a one way flight and no residency or work visa.

fchauduri76 was either employed by a sponsor or a dependent of one, hence the one-way ticket. Your case is different jenniep

Thanks - That's what I thought maybe the case.

My work booked me a ghost return ticket because my paperwork got a bit held up...because they forgot to turn it in.  I ended up not needing the ticket and had my work visa ready to go when I popped off the plane, but it is common practice to either book a return ticket with a place that offers a zero cancellation fee or something similar.

If you do an e-visa for your trip in to Bahrain you now have to provide proof of return flight ticket. If you do visa on arrival I just write down details of a flight that is just short of 3 months ahead. Once they see all the stamps in your passport they just smile at you.
If you get questioned - which may happen the first time you fly out and back in again (not at ministry renewal cos they are too lazy to question you) just say your husbands company have been very slow in sorting out your cpr so you had to renew your visit visa.
If you lie they tend to know, if you are open and honest with them then they have no issues.
Hundreds have been doing it for years.

I left the return flight blank on my immigration entry form. I would have just said I'd book it closer to leaving should he have asked but he didn't.
I only had my contract in hand and one not even signed by my employers!!!

fchaudari76 wrote:

I left the return flight blank on my immigration entry form. I would have just said I'd book it closer to leaving should he have asked but he didn't.
I only had my contract in hand and one not even signed by my employers!!!

That's all well and good when you have a contract - not the same when you don't have a contract and you are just visiting

Yes I'd say book a return flight to be safe unless you find work before and have a contract.

Hello , you can come in visit visa and when you find a job they will apply for you for work visa , there is no need to leave bahrain