Teacher looking into moving to Canberra

Hello all,

My name is Ryan and I am an American Expat, currently living in Bahrain.  I am active on the Manama forum of expat-blog and decided to come over to your side of the internet to see if someone could help me with some piece of mind.

I am a science teacher.  I have a BS in Physics and Physics Education with a Masters from Johns Hopkins in Earth and Space Science and Secondary Science Education.  I have 12 years experience, 10 teaching AP curriculum and will have 2 years teaching IB when I complete my contract here.

I have to report in November of this year my plans for the following year - so in 7 months I have to stay or resign from this job almost a full year before I stop working it.    I would like to explore moving to the Canberra or surrounding area in or around July or August 2016.

I have looked at visa information and timelines and skilled worker this and that, but my main question to start - since I am still a long way away from needing to apply for a visa - was about how livable would Canberra be for a single teacher and is there a job demand at all for someone with what I have to offer?

I have looked up the pay scales, but there is no explanation of the increments so I am trying to accurately place where I would fall on the scale, and what roundabout pay it would be.  I don't need a 3 bedroom house or anything fancy, but I left the USA because I was tired of working at bars and restaurants after work just to make enough money to get by.  I do not want to go back to that, especially not voluntarily if I can help it.

I would cherish any help about the process etc.  For my own reasons I would like to be local to the Canberra area, so anything pertaining to teaching, expat-ing, or general salary-to-cost-of-living-for-a-teacher-ing would be very, very appreciated.  I had a search around the site and I didn't find what I was looking for - noticing the rarity of forum posts here.  Fingers crossed someone logs in!

Thank you!

@relwell

For salary try www.payscale.comwww.worldsalaries.org  or Google search 
Australia in general is an expensive country to live in with high tax rates as well.

For cost of living www.numbeo.com  this site will give you not only cost of living but crime rates rental costs etc.

For visa information and applications www.immi.gov.au

For jobs try www.seek.com.au  or again just Google teaching jobs in Canberra.

I appreciate the reply.  I have used both of those sites in the past, and while they are useful to get an idea - one overestimated my last salary in the US by almost 17k USD a year.  They differ on my pay scale by almost 9k a year if I were to move to the area.

Was really looking for someone who is or knows a teacher in the area and can comment on what it is like to be boots on the ground there in terms of work and living for a single teacher.  I don't mind living out of the city and have looked at apartments in a few areas.

Thanks again for the reply.  I will keep those numbers and websites in mind as I continue to find answers.