Best place to live? Buy a car? Recommended Nurseries for 19months old?

Hi all,

We're moving out in August to Dar es Salaam. Can any one advise on the best place to live for Expats? We're looking at gated communities but everything online is about a year old ( if not more) and seems more expensive than London rents!

Also, any advice on where to buy a car, what the best style is, what the roads are like, do we need a 4x4 etc?

Can anyone recommend nurseries for my 19 month old or a nanny?

Many many thanks!

Danielle

Dear Danielle,

welcome Dar es Salaam.
I like to share some few  things with you, if you don´t mind before would like to know the nature of work, for how long would you be in Dar (this is  necessary if it is make sense to buy or rent a car). If you don´t mind let us communicate through private address.

Regards,

Esther

Hello Esther

If you have infos to share please do it here so that other members to benefit from the latter.

You are from Hamburg Germany, do you have any related infos about Dar es Salaam?

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Dear Danielle,

great if you like I write here, in short I asked for because I view not often on this site!

I am a resident of Hamburg Germany but originated from Tanzania born in Dar es Salaam and left the country with age of 25, I am traveling not less than 3 times per year, so you can imagine I still have my hands in Tanzania. I am ready to share somehow what I know from my home country and Dar city.

Well regarding better places to live it is always depends where will you be working (my opinion) Dar town is a city of high and horrible car traffic if you are living far from working place, make sure your home  is near to your working place, super markets, hospitals and school avoiding high cost of fuel and nerves from terrible traffic jam. So first would like to know your working area if you don´t mind to mention.
Cost of rent if are higher than London, in some cases can be but you have to see the difference in square meters, location and features means if you have house most have huge areas and en-suit bathrooms, huge compounds and of course play ground. But since last five years it has been changed a bit cause the space in town has become less, the city is growing and somehow like europe whereby in order to avoid high cost you can live in a community (apartments) here cost are somehow  better compares to europe and you have features  which can not pay for such amount in europe. Of course might be fully furnished and furnitures might be not your taste etc. It will be rarely to find 100% perfect. Things like security which is un-usual for european but in Dar is a must, you will find parking area for each unit, security cameras,  gate man, fully furnished, swimming pool, gym, garbage collection and service charge included on rent etc. I would suggest don´t try to compare with europe because you will always find plus in Dar and some minus europe then vice versa. In order to get a real relation you need to live in Dar and experience what are good sides and what might be not good compare to europe.

Regarding children school, it is pity our Tanzania school system is not better than how it is in for instance Germany for this reason you need to bring your child from early school nursary straight to private schools which always depends. If you are french are some few french nursary schools, a part from it rest are english schools. Tanzania school system encourages more english language than our own language swahili, for this reason most international private schools have english lessons teaching method. I mean pity because for instance Germany private schools have bad reputation compares to private, I don´t know how it is in France. In Tanzania privates have high reputations than government so solution is private.
You need for sure 4 x 4 car if you intend to stay for longer time. Roads are small part good but in most cases not  compare with europe, I believe it will get better and better cause all are improvements compares to past years. In some parts of city you can find tarmac roads and some very rough roads.
Nursary are many for 19month are of course some but I can not answer this question before knowing where will be your working area. Find the name of your office location then I can advice areas around and from there one can look for alternatives nursary also nearby.

I think my magazine might help you to figure out Plan A (place of working) then rest will follow.

You are most welcome.

Esther

Hi Danielle,

I am an expat in Dar myself, even tho my family own a lux building in one of the popular areas in Dar (Mikocheni) near the American embassy and also the many cars that I can use cost free.

But still I was confused and lost in my first few weeks.

So my advice to you is this.

Come over 2 weeks before your family
Look around actively in the first week meet expats and consult learn and visit nurseries etc.

Once you are sure call for your man and the little one.

Happy family 😊

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : please post in the housing section

@kesqltd

You have posted on an old inactive thread. Advertising of any kind is not permitted on the open forum. You should post your offer in the housing section at the top of this page.
For reasons of security please do not post any contact details on the open forum.

Dear Danielle,

My job is selling and installation of air conditioning units, I know some places you will get good condition and full furnish house, nowadays market is down i think you will good rent in Dar. For car my advise come in dar go physically to buy car.

Regards
Shabbir

Can i get yr WhatsApp number

From Hafiz Asghar

Can u pls add me on yr WhatsApp number

Actually I m looking a bachelor accommodation for one month

Could u pls help me?

Moderated by Cheryl 2 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, do not post your contact details on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

This thread is old and inactive.

Unsafe to post contact details here on the open forum. Use the message system to exchange details

Your welcome 😊🍷