Shopping Advice Riyadh vs Sydney

So I am a few away weeks from relocating to Riyadh and I am not too sure about what to bring and what not to bring. My wife is insisting that I buy some work suits, shirts, ties and shoes in Sydney but I think I could use the luggage space for other things....mostly my wifes and sons clothes, the former more so than the later, believe me I don't think I will have a choice. 

Anyway I saw a really good Hugo Boss suit, some really cool Calibre shirts etc. Do you think I should buy here or is it just as good in Riyadh.

PS: I know that there are heaps of malls, I am just not sure how the stores compare in their stocks and range. 

Bhills

We've got boss over here as well , but Im assuming better lines, and Im pretty sure its cheaper in Australia , unlike Saudi things are a bit more expensive.

Hi,
We have just moved from London and while I have found that the quality here is just as good, it is a bit more expensive if you convert back into pounds. You  might be better off buying suits and shirts in Sydney then you can top up over here as you need it.

Zara

Hey Zara, Khalid

Thanks for the response.

Q: Is it ok to wear short sleeve shirts or T-shirts in public for men.

Yes, that's fine.

If you go shopping when there aren't sales here then you'll pay a tad bit more. I didn't buy any suits back home because I figured I could use the luggage room for something else (I'll just wait for a sale here).

One thing I have a hard time finding here is good quality (new model) shoes. Dress, Sport. All types. They're all old, ugly, or overpriced. I went into Aldo the other day and they had shoes that I had bought at an Aldo outlet this summer for $30. They were selling them for $90 here.

True about shoes, especially if you have something in mind. 

In the States, I found what I wanted in one stop; here scouted all the shoe stores in Riyadh Gallery and couldn't find them.

Thanks Beezer and Alliecat.

T-shirts and short sleeve shirts for men to wear is Ok. Shorts must cover knees - most guys wear those shorts nowadays anyway. The mens clothes are to die for. Clothes somehow appear on the small size - you will take a size bigger. Shoes - small sizes, and some places not allowed to try them on. Most places sell those arab desert cloppers fit for camel feet. So you may want to bring your own. In fact no fitting rooms anyway - take clothes home, if they dont fit, bring them back and exchange - a bother of note.

Thanks Sparrow

Yup , Shirts T shirts are all alright , You really have a bad image regarding Saudi ;p , Coffee is allowed and Shirts are allowed I assure you!
problem is with Shorts , if their below your knees you wont be bothered , otherwise Id recommend you dont wear them!
Do hope you enjoy your stay here :)

Not sure how long you coming for - dont bring all your male fragrances, just your special ones - there is every fragance house and the best of D&G, Boss, Givenchy etc and much more and very very cheap. Purchasing these fragrances here will not dent your pocket, but you will wish you had enough room in your luggage to take them all back.

Hi Khalid,

On the contrary, I dont have a bad image or good one for that matter. I have no prejudice I assure you.

I don't know enough about Saudi so I want to be informed before I go so I do not offend anyone. I understand the culture issues and differences (my wife is Syrian) and it is important to learn as much as you can from the experiences of others.

Maybe I will buy you a coffee in my long shorts when I get there.

Thanks