English teaching jobs in Vietnam

Hello,

I am currently living in the US, but would love to move to Vietnam to teach English. I am hoping someone that is currently teaching English there could help answer some of my questions. From what I've experienced, it is not too easy to get a job lined up before arriving in Vietnam, most schools want you in country to interview. How easy is it to find work teaching English once you arrive? Do most places require you to sign a 6 month contract? I would prefer not to sign a contract, in case I end up not liking it. Any information that expats currently teaching in Vietnam could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Have a great day,

Cassie

Hi Cassie: Ive lived in HCMC for a year and work as a journalist and consultant not a teacher, however, from people I talk to here, you can get a job easily once you are here and can do so without a contract. To get a job secured before you arrive would be hard unless of course its with one of the more prestigious international schools which is a different situation entirely. There are many language centers in Vietnam but of course some are good and some you would want to avoid. Many teach at several different centers a few hours each week so avoid any long term contract. If you chose this route obviously you will still be on a three month tourist visa and not be granted a work visa and will likely be paid cash in Dong.

I hope this helps answer at least a few of your questions.
Tam biet

Hi Cassie - I have spoken with several foreign teachers. One is doing well and two others had their hours cut. The one doing well also landed some private teaching gigs. Your best opportunity is to show-up and pound the streets. The prospects are good, not great. I used to live in China. Although there are way more teaching jobs, the salary is low and most teachers aren't excited about the quality of life, especially the ones who teach away from the cities. On the other hand, at least in China there are alternatives with PR and marketing firms. Doesn't seem to be that way here. Anyway, nothing ventured-nothing gained. Good luck!

Dear ,
I'm managing teacher for english center at Ho Chi Minh city. If you are interested to get a job as mention, I would like to add you in my list and send you if any suitable offer.

Please send me your CV with photo to email: japangun[at]gmail.com.

Thanks and Regards,