What the requirements are to getting a long term visa ?

Hi everyone,
My name is Tom.  Age 73 years. Born in California and currently in Malaysia.
Mauritius looks like a beautiful island.  I am wondering what the requirements are to getting a long term visa ?
Is it possible for someone like myself to start a small business there in Mauritius ?
Any thoughts would be appreciated ?
Thank you !
Tom
[email protected]

Hello Tom,

welcome to expat Mauritius forum,

I would like to inform you that i have created a new discussion for you on the Mauritius forum so that you can get more interactions with members. You can also view the Living in Mauritius Guide in order to know more about Mauritius.

Thank you
Yuveshen

The best is to apply for a Retired Non-Citizens permit.

Conditions: be at least 50 of age and transfer USD40,000 per year (for three years) for your own expenses.
After 3 years of Retired permit, you may apply for a Permanent Residence permit (1o years, renewable) - which also gives you possibility to acquire a residential property, like a Mauritian.

You can also opt for the purchase of RES / IRS Villas. If purchase value is in excess of USD500,000 - you are eligible for direct permanent residence based on the ownership of your property.

Yes, you can also open a business. The investor permit will be available for all those investing at least USD100,000 in a business which is able to generate Rs4 million of annual turnover.  You should be able to explain and justify these in a business plan.

You should, in my opinion, first visit the island and spend some time here...make sure you really want to relocate.

All the best!
Nadeem

I have to agree with Nadeem, before you make a decision on living here permanently come on a tourist visa for 3 months and see how you feel about living here at the end of the 3 months :)

Hi Nadeem
could you also give me advise or advise me where to look.We are a South African Family. Husband a Horse Breeder and I own a Wedding Company. We are wanting to know the specifics and can a South African Family move and immigrate to Mauritius?

Hello Meljane

Long-term visa requirements (residency) depend on the purpose of stay.

One example: If you are an investor, then you should have a minimum investment of USD100,000 and present a project that can reap more than Rs 4 million as annual turnover. 

You will get useful information on the Board of Investment website, but if you need any specific or particular information, I'll gladly give you my input.

Kind regards
Nadeem

We are a family of 5 (2 adults , 3 kids under 12) looking at immigrating .I would like to start a wedding business in Mauritius and my Husband is in the Horse Racing Industry.
Would we be able to apply on these grounds?