Marriage in Malaysia

Hi everyone :-)

I have one question: can two foreigners ( and not the same nationality) that are not residents in Malaysia (tourist visa) marry in Malaysia?

we have been living in KL for 6 years and we left just few months ago in order to get married in my country ,but the marriage application was rejected without any reason and we are facing now many issues.....so we thought maybe we could get married in the country where we met :-) and to finally be together..

Thanks for your help and advice

Adele

Hi, Didnt have any ideas whether its can be done or not. Maybe you should try asked your embassy for their opinion.

Why was it rejected? That's pretty weird.
I'm pretty sure you guys two can get married here in Kuala Lumpur.
Have you asked around?

Hi Catwmn;

why was it rejected? they didnt mentioned this in their rejection letter,because in some countries freedom is a dream...one question I ask what has to do with them who I wanna marry? logicaly and humanly I'm free to choose who Im going to marry even if he is from the moon.....I dont need to ask for permission from the government of my country when I wanna marry some one who is from another country...Now I can understand why many people r running away from their own country..

yeah I have searched on Google and we probably can marry in kl,just I wanna be sure  that with  only a tourist visa we can marry

Thank u Catwmn :-) I will update all of u guys ! thank you!

Congratulations in advance for both of you :)

Hi A.Shaarawy

Thank you, but you may wait for the congratulations lol....we r not done yet :D

in advance  ;)

I seem to recall it is a balancing act with time as you have to be here for 21 days and then cannot start the registration process for the marriage for a further 7 days. So its not that easy on a 1 month visa.

Hi Gravitas :-)

I get 3 months visas :-)

so I hope it can be done

:)

I thought one person had to have a long visa/work permit. But depends if Islamic or not marriage.a colleague married her overseas bf while working here and a right pain she said. She did civil even as a muslim.

You will need a letter giving you permission to marry from your embassy. As you were refused a marriage at home most likely they will refuse to issue a letter also.

Adele,

Have you yet been to JPN to discuss this? http://www.jpn.gov.my/en/
Thats the registration dept for marriages (if non-muslim).  Not sure if they will answer the phone but you can go and talk to them.

Is your boyfriend muslim? Thats a different story and messy one too.

Can you shed any light on why this was a problem in your country? Who is it thats impossible to marry?

Just a word of advice, love birds!  Even if you succeed in getting married here, when you return to your own country, you may need to register there as well or your marriage may not be valid.  So I suggest you write in to your embassy for clarification.  All the best to both of you!

yes u can registered here or in Thailand

Kimbalina wrote:

Just a word of advice, love birds!  Even if you succeed in getting married here, when you return to your own country, you may need to register there as well or your marriage may not be valid.  So I suggest you write in to your embassy for clarification.  All the best to both of you!

Thats right and its a problem. AU i dont know but if US is any indication, I once had a malaysian fiance and US told me NOT to marry in Malaysia but first bring her to US, then marry. (Two years into the tiring immigration process and still no entry for her yet, she gave up and dumped me).

One of the problems of any foreign marriage (foreign to your home country) is that the marriage papers are not in your language and your country is under no obligation to figure out what the papers say AND they cannot verify their legitimacy, therefore the marriage may only be valid in the place you marry. You cant simply go abroad to circumvent your country's laws.

Case 1: I met an American at a US airport who was traveling with an Australian woman he married in Asia. She was held back at immigration until she could book a flight to go back, they wouldnt let her in. I dont understand this as i believed Aussies could travel freely anyway but thats what happened.

Case 2: I met a UK fellow in a Thailand airport who was expecting to travel home with his new Thai bride. He knew this wasnt proper but was expecting to force the UK immigration to accept his Thai certificate. Force how? He said, "look, as far as im concerned we are married and the UK government has no choice in the matter." Thats exactly the problem, they DO have a choice in the matter and all I could do is wish him good luck.

If the AU government has denied your marriage in AU, what do you think is going to happen when you re-appear with the same person married abroad? Like the UK fellow, the attempt is to force it down their throats? The marriage abroad might be for nothing. Re-check with them before you marry and get on an airplane, husband could be blocked from entry or some problem comes in which they will not recognize the marriage and then he remains on a tourist visa--if that was allowed in the first place.