Cost of Living

My wife, young son and I want to relocate to Thailand. We are a middle class family living in Illinois (US) paying around $600 a month for rent. Is it possible to make this dream a reality?

randydraper14 wrote:

My wife, young son and I want to relocate to Thailand. We are a middle class family living in Illinois (US) paying around $600 a month for rent. Is it possible to make this dream a reality?

I suggest you first read through the posts in the forum category list.   

Are you looking to retire or work. If considering work you should find a job before you move. There is a long list of prohibited jobs for foreigners in Thailand.

Retirement is different. There is a paper trail you have to follow, have money in the bank, or prove overseas income etc.

You need to consider a location to live in. Bangkok and the tourist type locations are more expensive to rent in. Medial insurance cover is a necessity. Transport costs, schooling etc. For cost of living www.numbeo.com   Climate does vary too. Language can be a problem too.

You need to think long and hard, and do heaps of research before you decide. 

Sorry to sound negative but these are the things you need to consider before making a decision. Thailand is a beautiful country and I find the Thai people easy to get along with.

randydraper, you must have a job, or be 50 years old, or you can only stay for 90 days, if you manage to get to live here I would love to help you make the change, perhaps I can help someone else not make the costly mistakes that my wife & I made.  We are both retired here from san Francisco plus my wife is Thai so that helps a lot. Good luck to you, Patrick   [email protected]

Great advice.

Thank you and you have a kind heart.