Healthcare Jobs

I am considering getting my Bachelor's degree and then traveling to New Zealand to see how I like it.  If I like it I will probably get a work visa for 2 years and then get residency and go onto school to get reduced education costs, such as medical school or chiropractic.  What are some healthcare jobs that do not require tons of schooling to do for like 2 years?  A personal trainer?  Certified Nursing Assistant?  Any other ideas of jobs that are decently paying that could get me by a few years.  I would have a Bachelor's degree in Human Biology from the States.

Healthcare jobs in hospitals are hard to get.  There is a saying in NZ, it's not what you know, it's who you know.  There are also too many trained nurses all scrabbling for jobs here too.  If you google each hospital you will see their current vacancy list.

However, there are many jobs advertised for carers, looking after people in the person's own home.  But these jobs are usually low paid, casual or not full time so you cannot rely on them for a steady income.

We are leaving NZ because my husband, a qualified and highly experienced Allied Health Worker, cannot get an interview nowadays, never mind a job. He even tried as a night time shelf filler in a local supermarket and did not get an interview. 

If I were you I would be looking for retail work or barista work if you meet their idea of young and fit looking. Or try some of the organisations like Pathways or Challenge Trust, working with adults with mental health problems. You are more likely to get a work permit that way.

You would have to qualify for a work visa before you can move here. Your profession would have to be on the skills shortage list. Best to get a degree in the USA for something on the skills shortage list such as nursing or other medical field careers. I immigrated 3 years ago from the US with a nursing degree and it took about a year to get all of the paper work done. WWW.imigration.govt.nz  is the web site for the skills shortage list. It is beautiful here and you would not regret moving here. Definitely the best move I ever made.
Good Luck

I work at Auckland City hospital on the mental health unit and we have around 19 vacancies at the moment for nurses and allied health.

What about Radiographers jobs in N Zealand ? I am a senior imaging Technologist in Mauritius for almost 29 years now. I am 48 , do you see any hope fpr me to immigrate to N Zealand ? If there are , please let me know of the scopes available. I am married and bear two daughters who will be soon be undergoing tertiary education.
I heard that N zealand is a land of hopes, and dreams coming true. Well penning off here , will be waiting for a response.
Thanking you
Shailen

I guess it all depends on what your hopes and dreams are.  One man's dream is another man's nightmare.

There may be jobs in Auckland but the cost of living and renting somewhere in Auckland is often beyond many people's dreams due to the financial costs. 

Prettywitty, the job my husband left after 5 years was in an acute mental health ward. That same ward only has bank staff vacancies so not all DHB's in NZ have the same level of job opportunities. 

shailen the only way to check out vacancies is to regularly monitor the Seek NZ website over the next 6 months.  You may have better luck in Australia which has a much larger population.

Good luck