Costs of moving from U.S. to Belize- Insight needed

Johnhenry1925 wrote:

When you built the condo CaribeGal dd you have a contract with the builder or the developer?

Developer -- only choice we were given.  But they are really one and the same in this case, as far as I know.  The developers have their own building team.

Extra costs were the cost of a generator for the building (we knew it would be required but not how much it would cost -- it was way more than we budgeted, but that puppy WORKS), some upgrades on tile based on our specific selections, and some additional shelving and things we didn't know were not included in our contract price.  For example, no closet shelves were included in the price, but that kind of detail was not specified in the contract we signed and not something we thought to ask since those sorts of things are typically included when building in the states.  Overall not too many surprises, and we were quite pleased with what we ended up with.

Glad you have had a good experience with your build.  Sounds like you got a detailed contract, which I suspect a lot of folks with large overruns did not.  The more details (and the fewer changes you make along the way), the better for the budget.

We think it's a fairly detailed contract Emily (time will tell). Including appendices it runs to twenty-five pages. Plus, of course, the architectural plans (which are integral to it) which run to a further twenty-seven pages.

http://www.abelizehomeforus.wordpress.com

Hi, I am alexsys, I read that you and your husband relocated to Belize. My husband and I are wanting to move there from the states. We both work and go to school. He is 25 and I am 20. I have a cleaning business I would love to take with my if possible!  I am replying to you because I was curious if it was a good move? Any advice or just plain help! We have no idea where to start. Finish school first? Is there a place to transfer? The logistics and details!
Anything would help!
Thank you!
Alexsys!

I don't live in Belize but I am an opinionated old fart so here goes my two cents. I would say finish school; you never know where you will be in a few years and the education may be necessary. It kind of depends on what you are majoring in whether you could work on it in Belize. There is a couple of colleges there. But there are restrictions on what kind of work you can do there. So check the list and see who might offer a major that coincides with what you are studying now.
This is a list of universities in Belize.
Centro Escolar Mexico Junior College
Corozal Junior College
Galen University: programs at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional level in business, arts and sciences, and education.
Muffles Junior College
Sacred Heart Junior College
St. John's College, Belize: programs at junior college level in business, arts, social, sciences, and education. [5]
Stann Creek Ecumenical Junior College
University of Belize: programs at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional level in business, arts and sciences, and education. [6]
Wesley Junior College: programs at the junior college level in business, science. [7]
Independence Junior College
Belize Adventist Junior College

I don't know about the others listed but the University of Belize and the Galen University offer some pretty good stuff.

As far as getting there.... If you are going the college route, that will get you there in a whole different way. If you wait until you are out of school you may find it a little tough to move there with no savings so start saving now. I think it is going to cost my husband and I about $4000-$5000 to move there--with dogs. That is with back packs and a couple of boxes. It will obviously be more if you take a lot of personal items.

Your right you don't live in Belize.  You can come down thru Mexico with suitcases backpacks and it will cost about $150.  to Chetumal each.   Then across the border to Belize about $5 to 10.
The level and quality of schooling in Belize if far below that of the U.S.  I would not put my kids in School here.
You need money to come to Belize and start a business and the job opportunity is not good for expats.

Wow, that's odd. We usually make the trip for about $50 US or less each. It depends on if we spend the night or take the trip straight through. We generally have a backpack and a suit case each. We have also used the Belize Transfer company and they make some pretty good deals in the off season. Like I said before, we travel as cheaply as possible; 1) because we are cheapskates, and 2) because we see a lot more of both countries.

I'm not sure how it is in Belize, but I know that a lot of kids in the US enjoy working for less in an effort to gain the experience. I worked in a maximum security prison for six months for free during college just to have that experience on my resume. And did my Honors Thesis on the time there. I suppose we get out of an experience what we put into it. I'm hoping that the young person who asked the question has been in college long enough to do their due diligence.

I also went to college with an older lady that spent much of her BA program in Ireland. Not because she would get a top notch education, but because she knew that life experience was much more valuable to the type of employer she wanted to work for after college.

You stated it would cost $5,000 to move.  Don't you know what you wrote.

I do know what I wrote. TRAVELING to Belize has quite a few differences than MOVING to Belize.  Let me clarify a little. When we travel to Belize once or twice a year we take the cheapest route possible. Usually flying into Cancun and bus the rest of the way. We stay at St. Steven's or Santa Theresa's near the ADO if we stay anywhere overnight. Both pretty inexpensive places which are near the bus station but clean. We eat whatever we bring or what is handy and cheap along the way. Occasionally we make a point to stop in at El Fagon on the way as well. Its near St. Stevens and we walk. Still pretty cheap travel.

When we move we will have other expenses. We have three dogs, one elderly. Because of the requirements for each pet, we will be spending considerably more when they come with us. We also intend on paying our lease up front when we get there which is added into that. And we will be bringing things that we don't normally carry for visits so that will add a little to the luggage fees out of KCI/MCI airport. The added expense is mostly dog flight costs and added vet paperwork.

Doglady, you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and have done your homework (esp. about bringing dogs to Belize).  I have great confidence that you will succeed!

It's not that I am not a people person....It is just that I am not a STUPID people person.

doglady wrote:

I don't live in Belize but I am an opinionated old fart so here goes my two cents. I would say finish school; you never know where you will be in a few years and the education may be necessary. It kind of depends on what you are majoring in whether you could work on it in Belize. There is a couple of colleges there. But there are restrictions on what kind of work you can do there. So check the list and see who might offer a major that coincides with what you are studying now.
This is a list of universities in Belize.
Centro Escolar Mexico Junior College
Corozal Junior College
Galen University: programs at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional level in business, arts and sciences, and education.
Muffles Junior College
Sacred Heart Junior College
St. John's College, Belize: programs at junior college level in business, arts, social, sciences, and education. [5]
Stann Creek Ecumenical Junior College
University of Belize: programs at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional level in business, arts and sciences, and education. [6]
Wesley Junior College: programs at the junior college level in business, science. [7]
Independence Junior College
Belize Adventist Junior College

I don't know about the others listed but the University of Belize and the Galen University offer some pretty good stuff.

As far as getting there.... If you are going the college route, that will get you there in a whole different way. If you wait until you are out of school you may find it a little tough to move there with no savings so start saving now. I think it is going to cost my husband and I about $4000-$5000 to move there--with dogs. That is with back packs and a couple of boxes. It will obviously be more if you take a lot of personal items.

Its such a shame when people have so little to say of interest that they automatically jump to calling people stupid that they have never met. I simply gave a little encouragement and some links to a young person who was curious about the country. I gave  fairly generic information and lead with "its my opinion" and still you feel like you have to be nasty. I'm sorry that you are in disagreement as to how and why someone should or shouldn't move or visit Belize. And I'm sorry that life has made you so bitter toward your fellow humans--even the stupid ones. God Bless you LoveBelize.

Dear members,

Could we calm down an avoid unnecessary arguments please?

Peace
Armand

I was reading your post and maybe you could help me find a place a rustic little place would be perfect, I don't know anything about living there i have read a lot, I am just a homebody i do not smoke or drink, I juice so i would like to go to a market and buy my fruit and veggies, any help would be appreciated thank you so kindly for any help that you could give me...Hugs...Libby

Hi Libby.  Do you know what area of Belize you are interested in?  For such a small country, it's very diverse. Cayo, where my place is located, is in the heart of the mainland and about 2-3 hours from the coast. There is a big variety of fruit and veggies that grow locally. San Ignacio has a big farmers market that's open every day and there are lots of small stands with seasonal produce. You may want to consider being close to one of the Mennonite or Amish areas as they are big farmers and less partiers. Know going in that Belize has it's challenges and there is plenty of petty crime as well as a government ill equipped to deal with it. You'll want your place secure and in a safe area and even then there can be issues. It's a great place in so many ways, but do your homework first and go there and spend time before you pick up and move.

Dose any one want to share a 20,foot contain from Houston to Belize city? it will be the first part of October

Hi super833,

Feel free to post an advert in the Classified in Belize, Community/Container Sharing this might help.

Thank you,

David.

maybe.  depends on cost.  we have things in storage in Atlanta

the costs of living on san pedro compared to others areas is utterly staggering according to taco girls cost of living page on her website.

(QUOTE FROM TACO GIRL)

This post goes out to everyone who is working out living the Belize dream in their own way. It is my biggest comparison shopping post ever, 8 places in total – Caye Caulker Belize – Playa Del Carmen Mexico – San Ignacio Belize – San Pedro Online Grocery -  San Pedro Belize  – Prescott Arizona – Houston Texas – and Mississauga Canada. Thanks to azbob and Brenda – Jo – Shannon – Michele -  Macarena and Yvette  for helping me fill in the list for what prices are like where they live.

Many people write and ask me about moving to Belize and cost of living associated with living abroad. Along with a scouting trip to Belize one of the other things I recommend is for people to price compare to help get a concrete idea on what it will cost them think in terms of groceries – water – electricity – internet – rent. I often include posts on those topics in my useful information category. You can also go to the SPOG site below and find a full range of groceries to compare  with your hometown.

I got the idea to  this big comparison shopping post while on Caye Caulker – figured I could do San Pedro – SPOG aka San Pedro Online Grocery and find a few people to fill in some blanks from mainland Belize – Mexico and other parts of the globe.

All locations in Belize are priced in BZD and everywhere else is USD.  $2BZD = $1USD

400ml pantene shampoo conditioner
Caye Caulker Belize – $11.98  $14.95
San Pedro Belize – $11.30 both
SPOG Belize – $11.99 both
San Ignacio Belize – $ 11.85 $10.75
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $3.74 for both
Prescott Arizona – 375ml size $3.97 each
Houston Texas – $3.50
Mississauga Canada – $4.88 both

9.46ml treseme shampoo conditioner
Caye Caulker Belize – $12.62 $13.98
San Pedro Belize – $11.95 $11.59
SPOG Belize- $13.49 both
San Ignacio Belize – $12.75 both
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $3.83 for both
Prescott Arizona – $3.64 both
Houston Texas – $3.96 both
Mississauga Canada – $5.28 both

200g Nescafe classico  Dolca
Caye Caulker Belize – $13.75 $10.95
San Pedro Belize – $13.75 $10.25
SPOG Belize – Dolca $12.99
San Ignacio Belize – $10.50 $680
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $4.35 $3.39
Prescott Arizona – 226g $5.32  Great Value Brand $3.64
Houston Texas – n/a
Mississauga Canada – $3.91

Box milk La la light
Caye Caulker Belize – $3.95
San Pedro Belize – $3.85
SPOG Belize – Rainbow light 2.99
San Ignacio Belize – $2.75
Playa Del Carmen – Mexico $.82
Prescott Arizona – $2.18 fresh 1 gallon 2 % milk (no box milk found)
Houston Texas – n/a
Mississauga Canada – n/a

1lb pasta Ronzoni Linguini
Caye Caulker Belize – $7.49
San Pedro Belize -  Muellers  $5.55
SPOG Belize – Cento Anna Linguini $3.89
San Ignacio Belize – $3.6o
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $.96
Prescott Arizona  – $1.18
Houston Texas – $.56
Mississauga Canada – $.86
737 can hunts sauce no sugar added
Caye Caulker Belize $4.50
San Pedro Belize – $5.15
SPOG Belize – $4.99
San Ignacio Belize -$5.15
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $2.16
Prescott Arizona – 822G $1.42
Houston Texas – 425g $.63
Mississauga Canada – $1.66

Kraft mac and cheese thick and creamy
Caye Caulker Belize – $2.75
San Pedro Belize – the cheesiest $2.20
SPOG Belize – $2.49
San Ignacio Belize – $2.oo
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $1.14
Prescott Arizona$1.32
Houston Texas – n/a
Mississauga Canada – $1.46

8 oz kraft cheese Monterrey Jack
Caye Caulker Belize $8.25
San Pedro Belize – pepperjack $9.36
SPOG Belize – $14.49 – note same size other flavors  are cheaper
San Ignacio Belize $8.55
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $2.72
Prescott Arizona $2.00
Houston Texas – n/a

16.9 oz/500ml Olive Oil Vigo
Caye Caulker Belize – $20.50
San Pedro Belize – $ 15.30
SPOG Belize – Goya 17 oz 20.99
San Ignacio Belize – $9.oo
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $4.63
Prescott Arizona – $3.74 (17oz) Great Value brand
Houston Texas – many brands ranging from all prices
Mississauga Canada – $5.38

Campbells chicken noodle soup vegetable
Caye Caulker Belize – $3.19 $3.78
San Pedro Belize – $3.15
SPOG Belize – $2.99 $4.29
San Ignacio Belize  – $2.85 $3.25
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $1.27 $1.19
Prescott Arizona – $.68 $1.25
Houston Texas – 305g chicken noodle and 289g veg both sale for $1
Mississauga Canada – .77 on sale

1 litro Juice Valle Jumex
Caye Caulker Belize – $5.98 $4.00
San Pedro Belize – Valle $6.35
SPOG Belize – $6.99 $4.29
San Ignacio Belize – $5.65 $4.00
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $1.25 $1.04
Prescott Arizona – Could not find Juice Valle Jumex nectar $1.00
Houston Texas – n/a
Mississauga Canada – $1.95

5.8oz colgate tartar control toothpaste
Caye Caulker Belize – $6.55
San Pedro Belize – $6.55
SPOG Belize – $6.49
San Ignacio Belize – 6.4oz $5.50
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $1.31
Prescott Arizona – $3.44
Houston Texas – 6.0oz various types all $3.69
Mississauga Canada – $4.20

Oral B toothbrush comfort grip
Caye Caulker Belize – $4.25
San Pedro Belize -n/a
SPOG Belize – n/a
San Ignacio Belize – $3.70
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $3.19
Prescott Arizona – $3.47
Houston Texas – couldn't locate comfort grip
Mississauga Canada – 2.93

500ml Listerine antiseptic fresh breath – citrus
Caye Caulker Belize – $12.95  $15.95
San Pedro Belize – fresh breath $11.70 vanilla 15.72 citrus $13.65
SPOG Belize – $12.49
San Ignacio Belize Total Defense mint – $11.75
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $4.95 $4.59
Prescott Arizona $2.37 $3.37
Houston Texas – 500ml either blue/green were $7.18
Mississauga Canada – $4.25

1.89 Liters Cranberry juice
Caye Caulker Belize 12.98
San Pedro Belize – $12.50
SPOG Belize – $15.99
San Ignacio Belize  -$8.10
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $3.83
Prescott Arizona – $2.98 ocean spray
Houston Texas – n/a
Mississauga Canada – $3.22

2lbs flour
Caye Caulker Belize – $1.70
San Pedro Belize – $1.50
SPOG Belize -$1.98
San Ignacio Belize – pre sifted $3.20
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $.80
Prescott Arizona – 5lbs $1.84
Houston Texas – n/a
Mississauga Canada – $2.44

2lbs sugar
Caye Caulker Belize – $1.30
San Pedro Belize – $1.20
SPOG Belize – $1.18
San Ignacio Belize – 5lbs $2.50
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $1.52
Prescott Arizona – 5lbs $2.54
Houston Texas – n/a

1.13kg peanut butter Jiff  R&W 510g
Caye Caulker Belize – $15.75 $6.45
San Pedro Belize – $11.75
SPOG Belize – 40 oz $17.99 Skippy Chunky $10.69 for 340g
San Ignacio Belize – $11.18 $6.00
Playa Del Carmen – Mexico – 510g $3.02
Prescott Arizona – $4.64 Jiff/$1.88 510g Great Value brand
Houston Texas – 510g Jiff $1.99  1.13kg Jiff $5.25
Mississauga Canada – $2.94

473ml Kraft real mayo
Caye Caulker Belize – $6.75
San Pedro Belize – 350g $5.55
SPOG Belize – 8oz $4.49
San Ignacio Belize – 3.50 g $4.20
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $1.62 $3.11
Prescott Arizona – 887ml $2.50
Houston Texas – 488ml Hellmann's $3.15
Mississauga Canada – $3.16

24 loads/1.47l Purex liquid
Caye Caulker Belize – $13.47
San Pedro Belize – $12.85
SPOG Belize – $11.99
San Ignacio Belize – 52 loads 4oz $9.70
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $4.63
Prescott Arizona – $3.72
Houston Texas – 46 loads, 2.12L $9 on sale
Mississauga Canada -

1.47L 26 loads Tide pure liquid
Caye Caulker Belize – $25.95
San Pedro Belize – $29.05
SPOG Belize – Tide 2x Ultra 26 loads 26.69
San Ignacio Belize – 2x Ultra Tide liquid  1.47L 32 loads $28.30
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $4.55
Prescott Arizona – $7.97
Houston Texas – regular tide liquid, 26 loads $6.99 (sale)
Mississauga Canada – $8.12

2.21l Tide essentials 39 loads liquid
Caye Caulker Belize – $37.50
San Pedro Belize – $36.96
SPOG Belize – Tide pure essentials citrus 30 loads $33.49
San Ignacio Belize – n/a
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $10.27
Prescott Arizona – n/a
Houston Texas – regular tide liquid, 39 loads $21.58
Mississauga Canada – $12.69

850ml Palmolive
Caye Caulker Belize – $8.50
San Pedro Belize – $10.15
SPOG – $8.39
San Ignacio Belize – $6.95
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $1.49
Prescott Arizona – $3.77
Houston Texas – 887ml $2.32 (sale)
Mississauga Canada – $2.24

Charmin 12 roll
Caye Caulker Belize – $11.50
San Pedro Belize – 8 roll $24.30
SPOG Belize – 4 roll $8.99
San Ignacio Belize – $26.95
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $1.52
Prescott Arizona – $5.97 (438 sq ft) 1 ply
Houston Texas – ultra strong $7.99
Mississauga Canada – n/a

Cottenelle 12 roll
Caye Caulker Belize – $28.95
San Pedro Belize – n/a
SPOG Belize – 4 roll $13.99
San Ignacio Belize – n/a
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $5.19
Prescott Arizona $5.97 (246 sq ft) 2 ply
Houston Texas – $5.97
Mississauga Canada – $8.81

350g cornflakes
Caye Caulker Belize – $ $6.25
San Pedro Belize – $5.75
SPOG Belize – 200g $5.99
San Ignacio Belize – $4.15
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $1.60
Prescott Arizona – $2.48
Houston Texas – 510g $2.78
Mississauga Canada – $2.54

397g Cheerios
Caye Caulker Belize – $11.50
San Pedro Belize – $13.75
SPOG Belize – $11.34
San Ignacio Belize – $7.65
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $3.27
Prescott Arizona – $2.88
Houston Texas – 396g $2.88

184.2g Ruffles chips
Caye Caulker Belize – $8.50
San Pedro Belize – n/a
SPOG Belize – $8.99
San Ignacio Belize – $7.50
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $2.08
Prescott Arizona – 269g $3.28
Houston Texas – 283.5g  $3.69

454g Mustard Country Barn
Caye Caulker Belize – $4.50
San Pedro Belize – $3.90
SPOG Belize – 8 oz Frenches 5.79
San Ignacio Belize – n/a
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $2.00
Prescott Arizona – $1.54 (680g) Plochmans
Houston Texas – French's 396g $1.09 HC brand 453g $.75
Mississauga Canada – n/a

198g Black Pepper Badia brand
Caye Caulker Belize – $7.50
San Pedro Belize – $7.45
SPOG Belize – $9.49
San Ignacio Belize – $6.50
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $2.39
Prescott Arizona – $3.42 (226g) McCormick
Houston Texas – n/a
Mississauga Canada – $2.93

Hunts 3.5 0z snack pack pudding 4 pack
Caye Caulker Belize – $5.00
San Pedro Belize – $5.15
SPOG Belize – $4.69
San Ignacio Belize – not available
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $.84
Prescott Arizona – $1
Houston Texas – $2 on sale
Mississauga Canada – $1.85

1 gal jug water
Caye Caulker Belize – $4
San Pedro Belize – $3
San Ignacio Belize – $3.00
SPOG Belize -n/a
Playa Del Carmen Mexico – $1.27
Prescott Arizona – $.78
Houston Texas – n/a
Mississauga Canada – $.97

san pedro prices are 300-500% more on some products that in the states or even canada.and gas is almost double that of the states.

I like the post. Thanks for posting it.    You can also live in Belize and not buy the American imported foods and save a lot,  Did you know you can buy 12 oz. of water in a little bag and it is a shilling (25 cent) bz. You have to pay $1.00 for a 16 oz bottle so9 the sealed bag is a better buy.   You can also buy the 5 gal jugs of Crystal for $2.50 bz.  Who buys Charmim?  I buy the cheapest toilet paper I can get.The Bz and Mx. products are good.  But the washing detergent here does not have fillers in it like Tide.  It cleans better and you use less product.  I buy baby shampoo at A&R  It cost $2.50 bz for a large bottle.  Cost of Living is what you want it to be.  If you want to live just the same as in the States.  You will pay for it.  If you want to live for less you can.  I have a single friend who lives by herself on $600 U.S. a month.  The average S.S. is around $1,100. U.S. a month with a wife the income is more.  We save every month.  Most medical is free in Belize as you just go to the hospital. If you need more than that it is not much compared to the U.S.  I had a bladder tack in a private clinic in Orange Walk by a woman Dr. for $1,300.  Includes test surgery and overnight stay.  Our rent averaged $100.00 U.S. a month.  Anything at a lower rate you have to fix it up yourself.  The villages rent cheaper.  The Cays are a lot higher.  There are over a million visits from Belize every year to Chetumal.  These are people living in BZ shopping.

I've posted this link before but will post it again.  Here is our blog post on our expenses living in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye.  Overall, some things were more expensive and some less than in the US.  Our budget ended up about the same.  Part of the reason for that was that since certain things were not available on the island, we simply went without.  This included things like books, recreational gear, discretionary shoes and clothing, and computer stuff.  When things are easily available, it's easy to spend more on them.  Lack of availability and access can be very good for the budget -- but frustrating in other ways as well!

http://bebelize.weebly.com/1/post/2012/ … elize.html

Hope this helps someone!

Emily

Our attitude in moving to Belize is that we are going to eat the local food. This will make doing this much less expensive than in Canada or USA. Yes it means a change, and certainly we will miss some things.  Things like rice, vegetables, and fruit are less expensive than in Canada from our research. They are fresh from the farm, not trucked in (especially Canada in winter).
Thanks for the posts on the costs of various things. I will endeavour to do some costs to post on fresh vegetables and fruits the next time we go for our preparation for moving.

The fresh vegetables and fruit are what we eat in Canada mostly. So for us this diet is going to be less expensive in Belize.

I was on Ambergris Caye in April and found some things to be more expensive and some to be less expensive. So of course it is a matter of changing your lifestyle and adjusting to buying local goods instead of imported items from the US..

I am however curious about the duties involved if you go to Chetumal Mexico say once a month and buy some of the grocery items you really like to have? I'm not saying buy everything in Mexico but maybe just buy some of the personal items that you can't get in San Pedro or are too expensive there.. How much is the duty tax to bring items back from Mexico??

Thanks..

Texblondi2 wrote:

I am however curious about the duties involved if you go to Chetumal Mexico say once a month and buy some of the grocery items you really like to have? I'm not saying buy everything in Mexico but maybe just buy some of the personal items that you can't get in San Pedro or are too expensive there.. How much is the duty tax to bring items back from Mexico??

Thanks..

We were not charged any duty, nor were our friends with us who brought much more back in from a day of shopping at Sam's Club and Chedrui.  However, you have to plan on buying quite a bit to offset the exit fee from Belize (waived for permanent residents), exit fee from Mexico (a scam, but we were forced to pay it -- $25 US each), the boat ride over, and taxi once there (cheap).  Just gotta factor it all in before deciding if frequent trips to Chetumal are in your budget.  For us, it was only worth going once for a single day.  We would not have chosen to do that again with the headaches of paperwork, checking in and out of both countries, and the fees.  Worth it if going to Mexico for longer and pick up some stuff on the way back to Belize.

im curious why everyone says to go into chetumal for groceries and medical and supplies because its too expensive in belize for everyday things your accustomed to?the shopping is better,the medical is better,you can get a good steak "fresh" for under $66.00blz,theres malls,walmart,sams clubs,but mention live there and everyone bashes the place,seems very hypocritical.everything is half the price in mexico than belize and corozal is an ideal location for this,if you become very sick on ambergrise caye or anywhere in belize what are your options.here is the official website of the united states bureau of diplomatic security on belize in 2012.it lists everthing you need to know and is unbiased.you can get information on any country or area.my brother works for military intelligence and is currently in the mountain in colorado for 3 yrs.if he gets sick hes air ambulanced to a vet hospital,and hes not even allowed to go to belize due to

Hello, welcome to OSAC! |  Advanced Search
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search 

Daily News
Reports

Events
Incidents
Country Councils
Common Interest
Councils
Other
Resources

LOGIN

Report   DETAILS

Print          Email 

Belize 2012 Crime and Safety Report
Murder; Burglary; Theft; Stolen items; Rape/Sexual Violence; Transportation Security; Human Trafficking; Drug Trafficking; Money Laundering; Hurricanes; Earthquakes; Floods; Wildfires; Travel Health and Safety; Hotels
Western Hemisphere > Belize > Belmopan
4/5/2012
Overall Crime and Safety Situation

Crime Threats

Crime has been on the rise in Belize for the past several years. Belize remains a high-crime country due largely to the extremely high murder rate per capita. Belize is officially the sixth most dangerous country in the world with an average of just over 39 homicides per 100,000 residents. Belize has the second highest murder rate in the Caribbean, the third in Central America, and the fifth in the Americas. Belize set new national records for murders in 2009 and 2010. Gang violence, still largely confined to Belize City, is a significant contributor to the high murder rate. There were 125 murders recorded for 2011, four less than 2010, likely due to the gang truce in Belize City that began in September 2011. However, even though the number of murders dipped, ending a three-year trend of new records for murders, the murder rate actually increased slightly, due to a slight decrease in the population. A government of Belize (GOB)-supported gang truce was agreed to in September 2011 and dramatically reduced the intentional homicides during the final four months of 2011. There were also highly-publicized raids in known gang areas by the Gang Suppression Unit (GSU). There were only nine murders reported in the 100 days following the truce. The gang truce will undoubtedly have an impact on violent crime in Belize City in 2012.   

In 2011, Belize experienced the spread of violent crime to the north and west of the country. Previously, the majority of violent crime largely occurred in the poor and violent southwest of Belize City. The remainder of the country had remained generally immune to the shocking levels of crime confined to the geographically tiny community in Belize City. The spread of violent crime to the north and west has been a significant development. There were 14 murders reported in the north in Orange Walk and 17 murders reported in Belmopan, San Ignacio, and Benque in the west. Several murders have been linked to home invasions, which are a permanent fixture of criminal life in Belize. An American businessman, Lawrence Johnson, was brutally murdered in Cayo in November 2011 during a home invasion.

Belize has also become the popular destination of choice for fugitives fleeing the criminal justice system in the United States. In 2011, 14 fugitives were located, arrested, and expelled to the United States by the Regional Security Office in joint operations with the Special Branch of the Belize Police Department.

Criminal perpetrators remain emboldened and are not deterred by the risk of confrontation.

Belmopan City, home to the U.S. Embassy since 2006, located in the Cayo District in the center-west of the country, experienced increases in violent criminal activity. Two separate diplomatic missions were targets of break-ins. Local Chinese-owned businesses were also the target of violent crimes. A local restaurant, located less than a mile from the U.S. Embassy, was robbed in November, and the storeowner was shot. Another storeowner in Belmopan killed a known Belize-city gang member as the perpetrator fled his store after robbing it. These crimes are taking place in a city with a population of just 13,000.

The majority of crimes are “property” crimes such as robbery, theft, burglary, muggings, and pick-pocketing. In 2011, Belize experienced a reported increase in rapes, burglaries, and regular thefts. However, there was a decrease in reported robberies. Often decreases are attributed to simply a lack of reporting of these crimes.

Criminal perpetrators regularly carry firearms although the number of firearms seized in gun-related crimes declined by about four percent in 2011. In the past several years, Belize has had multiple incidents of high-powered military precision firearms falling into the hands of criminal elements. There have also been credible reports of gang members acquiring and using grenades in attacks in 2008 and 2009. There were no attacks involving grenades in 2011, but local law enforcement is fearful that grenades may still be in the arsenals of some of the larger, more established gangs. In October 2011, the most significant incident to date occurred when 42 weapons were stolen from the Belize Defense Force (BDF) headquarters in Ladyville. These weapons included M-16 and M4 rifles along with 9mm pistols. Besides a significant embarrassment to the BDF, this incident represented a clear and present danger to all military, local law enforcement, and citizens of Belize. To date, only six weapons have been recovered. In 2009, a Belize Defense Force (BDF) M16 was stolen by a BDF member and sold to a well-known drug dealer in Belize, who was apprehended in February 2010 in possession of the weapon.     

Many of the safest places in Belize are the off-shore cayes (islands), which are some of the major tourist destinations. While crime still exists on the cayes, it is much less frequent and generally non-violent. Crime on the cayes is generally petty and crimes of opportunity that target tourists or more affluent long-term residents.

Much of the reported crime in Belize occurs on the main land, and 2011 saw a rash of violent criminal incidents in the north and west of Belize. In January 2011, a Swedish tourist was robbed at gunpoint in Belize City. She had cash and her passport stolen. In September 2011, an American female was raped and robbed after bicycling on the Stann Creek district highway. In August 2011, an American female was robbed and briefly held hostage in her home in the Cayo district by local men who stole nearly $6,000 worth of jewelry and electronics.

Belize offers an immense variety of tourist destinations, many of which are located in remote parts of the country. The easy pace found in Belize can lull one into forgetting that criminals will work wherever and whenever it is to their advantage. Tourists have been robbed while visiting archeological sites, and occasional violent crimes have occurred at resort areas on both mainland Belize and the cayes. Illicit activities in remote areas can quickly involve the innocent tourist. It is prudent to assume that safety procedures and requirements at tourist destinations are not up to U.S. standards and careful consideration given prior to engaging in the activity.

Public transportation can be problematic and unreliable. Taxi stands or plazas are located throughout major cities and villages and can be contacted by phone. Certain basic rules and precautions apply. Do not accept rides in vehicles that are not authorized taxis (taxis have green license plates, but perhaps few other markings), and do not ride in a taxi with occupants than just the driver. Taxis should generally only be hailed from reputable locations such as hotels and restaurants. It is always preferable to travel with an acquaintance. There have been reports of sexual assault on unaccompanied females committed by taxi drivers. Public buses in Belize are prone to safety and security problems and should be avoided. Buses are in poor operating condition, and drivers are often observed exceeding the speed limits and passing other vehicles at locations where it is unsafe to do so. Water taxis are often overcrowded and lack basic safety equipment.

Road Safety

Road conditions are generally very poor at best and hazardous at worst. The primary highways, Northern, Western, and Hummingbird (southern) highways, are in generally better condition (paved) than most roads, but these are still very narrow, two-lane highways. The highways are infrequently lit, only occasionally have shoulders, and driving can be very dangerous, especially after dusk and during the frequent rain. These major thoroughfares are the only means to transit the country aside from a small plane. Consequently, pedestrians and bicyclists utilize the same roads day and night as buses, trucks, and cars. To better illustrate the unpredictability of these hazards; in January 2012, a pedestrian was observed pushing an individual in a wheelchair along the middle of the road heading northeast to Belize City.

It is highly recommended to avoid driving on the major highways in Belize after dark. The lack of lighting, hazards along the roadways, passing vehicles, along with local buses driving above the recommended speed limits all can create a potentially deadly situation. In 2011, there were several pedestrians and motorists killed at night along the highways. Buses were a major cause of some of the more spectacular accidents. The lack of emergency medical care only exacerbates the importance of exercising extreme caution when operating vehicles at night. The Belizean judicial system assumes any driver who strikes a pedestrian or bicyclist to be at fault until proven otherwise. Children, adults, bicyclists, and animals will cross the roadways with little or no notice given and without looking to ensure the path is clear.

Stray dogs also wander freely in close proximity to the many small villages along the roads. These are a significant hazard, and motorists have been killed in vehicle accidents while trying to avoid these animals. 

Defensive driving is a critical necessity to navigate hazardous road conditions, which are only amplified during bad weather, and the poor driving habits of many local nationals and other permanent residents. Local drivers often use turn signals to signify different vehicle movements. For example, a left-hand turn signal in a vehicle ahead of you on the highway may be a signal for your car to pass on the left or it could indicate a left-hand turn by the vehicle ahead, or it could indicate a U-turn. Drivers should always use maximum follow distances to allow plenty of time to react to the unexpected.

Due to the absence of stoplights in most parts of the country, speed bumps are utilized to control speeds, especially in and around small villages and population centers. There are several different signs that indicate speed bumps, and some speed bumps are not marked at all. Speed bumps can be a significant hazard to vehicles and occupants, as they tend to be very large and damaging to vehicles that hit them too hard. Drivers should always be on the lookout for speed bumps, especially during dusk, dawn, and night driving and should also beware that vehicles will often slam on their breaks unexpectedly to try and avoid hitting a speed bump.

Traffic circles are used to take the place of traffic lights, similar to many other parts of the world. At traffic circles, you must yield to exiting traffic in the circle before proceeding and then signal before you exit to alert the vehicles behind you. 

The Belize police regularly operate checkpoints, especially in and around Belize City and Belmopan. All personnel, including diplomats should stop at these checkpoints and fully cooperate with police. The police may ask you for a form of ID, which you should produce. Often times, the focus of the checkpoints is to ensure that the vehicles are properly insured or to spot-check the window tinting on cars to ensure that it is within the legal limit. There were no reported incidents in 2011 of false checkpoints or extortion of vehicles passing through these checkpoints.

Political Violence

Historical Perspective

Political violence does not regularly occur, though there have been significant incidents in the past. In the run-up to the municipal elections of 2012, there were no reported violent demonstrations. There have been a few peaceful protests where individuals were observed openly drinking and smoking what appeared to be marijuana, but the assemblies were without incident.

Regional Terrorism and Organized Crime

Overall, corruption, human smuggling and trafficking, the drug trade, money laundering, and organized gang activity remain significant criminal problems. Additionally, in many cases, these organized criminal organizations operate beyond the ability of the police to disrupt them. The prosecution of perpetrators is problematic based upon issues endemic to the Belize judicial system.

Civil Unrest

The government requires a license to hold a protest or demonstration, requested from the police department 24 hours before the start. There are no indications of sentiments that could lead to unrest, and Americans are normally only affected by an Embassy Emergency Message that directs them to avoid the area of the demonstration.

The last protest of note was in 2009 by cane farmers against Belize Sugar Industries in Orange Walk that turned violent. Approximately 1,000 protesters successfully shut down the Northern Highway, effectively severing the northern districts from the remainder of the country and disrupting the main artery of vehicular traffic, commerce, and trade with Mexico. The demonstration culminated in a violent clash between the Belize Police Department and the protesters. The violence resulted in the death of one protester, who was shot and killed by the police, and injuries to two Belize police officers and eight protesters. The government intervened in the dispute and negotiated an end to the demonstration.

Post-Specific Concerns

Environmental Hazards

The most likely natural disaster is a hurricane, and ever since Hurricane Hattie destroyed much of Belize City in 1961, Belize pays particular attention to tropical storms in the western Caribbean. June through November is hurricane season in the western Caribbean, with the September to October period the most likely time for tropical storms and hurricanes. Belize has very limited capability to meet such a disaster, and the vulnerability is well known. Although the Belize National Emergency Management Office (NEMO) has analyzed Belize's vulnerability to a hurricane, preparations in response to their reports remain insufficient. Hurricane shelters exist along the coastline, but limited emergency food and water supplies would be overwhelmed by the high number of potential shelter seekers. Waterways require frequent dredging, so flooding would be exacerbated. Belize may have an evacuation plan in principal, but practical implementation would likely be difficult at best. In October 2010, Hurricane Richard slammed into the coast, resulting in power outages in 65 percent of the country, extensive flooding, and the blockage of the major highways. The majority of severe damage to property did not occur on the coast of Belize but rather inland in the Cayo District.

Minor earthquakes have occurred, notably in southern Belize. The most recent severe earthquake was a 7.1 magnitude quake with an epicenter 140 miles off the coast of Belize and Honduras in May 2009. Electricity in the southern portion of the country was temporarily knocked out; however, damage was minimal, and there were no reported casualties. Several minor after-shocks were felt for several weeks after with minimal effect.

There are no active volcanoes in Belize.

Because Belize is tropical and has regular rainfall, clogged drainage and waterways combined with urban growth lead to frequent flooding of roadways, even during the “dry” season. Flooding has not been disastrous, but a severe storm or hurricane will cut off vehicular movement in many coastal and inland areas.

There is a significant risk of forest fires at the end of the dry season, typically April and May.

Much of Belize is protected rainforest, and there is always the threat of attack by indigenous animals. In 2010, an American and Belizean were killed by jaguars in separate incidents.

Kidnapping

To date, Belize is the only country in Central America to have no kidnapping of tourists or foreigners for ransom.

Police Response

The Belize police work very closely with the Regional Security Office, but their ability to respond to crime is very limited. The police force is understaffed and poorly equipped. There are severe shortages of typical law enforcement equipment, including vehicles, weapons, and handcuffs. Investigations are slow and limited by bureaucratic, administrative, and resource deficiencies. The GOB takes crimes against visitors very seriously; however, the aforementioned chronic deficiencies seriously hamper their ability to respond, investigate, and generate a successful prosecution of offenders. The police and emergency telephone lines are continually busy, and contacting police is often difficult. Response times from police, should you be able to contact them, can be very slow. In the past, it was not uncommon for a police officer to ask a complainant to pick them up and take them to the scene of the crime. Due to significant resource support through the Central American Regional Security Initiative (CARSI), the Belize Police Force are receiving more equipment and training that will allow them to better carry out their law enforcement responsibilities.

If you are a victim of a crime, contact the nearest local police station:

Belize City: +501-207-2222
Belmopan: +501-802-2221
Benque Viejo: +501-803-2038
Caye Caulker: +501-226-0179
Corozal: +501-402-2022
Dangriga: +501-522-2022
Independence: +501-523-2022
Orange Walk: +501-322-2022
Punta Gorda: +501-722-2022
San Ignacio: +501-804-2022
San Pedro: +501-206-2022

How to Handle Incidents of Police Detention or Harassment

Reports of police harassment or extortion attempts of American tourists are rare; however, expatriates have reported occurrences. Any American citizen who feels he or she is being harassed should contact the American Citizen Services unit (ACS) at the U.S. Embassy in Belmopan. American officers maintain a list of local attorneys that can be provided upon request.

Medical Emergencies

There are nine hospitals in Belize. All medical clinics treat only outpatient cases and are not staffed to handle emergencies. Belize City is the center for medical care in Belize with the two major hospitals considered adequate by U.S. standards and equipped to handle serious medical problems: Belize Medical Associates and Karl Huesner Memorial Hospital. Medical facilities outside Belize City are not adequate to handle serious medical conditions, such as cardiac problems, and often fail to meet basic U.S. standards. Travelers should bring any legally-prescribed drugs that they may need during their visit. Additionally, there are reasonably well-stocked pharmacies in most major towns and tourist destinations, and prescriptions are not required.

Belize Medical Associates
5791 St. Thomas Street, Kings Park, Belize City
Tel # +501-223-0303

Karl Huesner Memorial Hospital
Princess Margaret Drive, Belize City
Tel # +501-223-1548

Air Ambulance Services

Those with serious or life-threatening problems who need to be evacuated to the United States should contact Air Ambulance Professionals. Medical expenses in Belize can be costly. It is recommended to check with your insurance company to verify you have sufficient coverage before traveling to Belize.

Air Ambulance Professionals
Ft. Lauderdale Executive Airport
Hanger 36B 1535 S. Perimeter Road
Ft. Lauderdale, FL  33309
Tel:  800-752-4195; 954-491-0555
Fax:  954-491-6114
www.airambulanceprof.com

For those traveling in the more remote areas of Belize or to the off-shore cayes, they should take note that emergency transportation to adequate medical facilities may be problematic. Astrum Helicopters provides MEDEVAC flights in coordination with the Belize Emergency Response Team (BERT). For emergency response and transportation, BERT is Belize's only qualified provider.

Astrum Helicopters
Mile 3.5 Western Highway
Belize City, Belize
Office: +501-222-5100
Fax: +501-222-5105
www.astrumhelicopters.com

Belize Emergency Response Team (BERT)
P.O. Box 1370
1675 Sunrise Avenue
Coral Grove Area
Belize City, Belize, Central America
Tel: +501-223-3292
Cell: +501-610-3890
Fax: +501-223-0549
Email: [email protected]

Tips on How to Avoid Becoming a Victim

Criminal acts, including extremely violent acts, can and do happen in all areas of Belize, to include Belize City and tourist destinations such as San Pedro and Caye Caulker. When these acts happen in some of the more remote areas, there is little protection or assistance available for the victims. It is generally preferable that you comply with a robber's instructions. It is always best to leave valuables and large amounts of cash locked up in a secure location.

Break-ins and vandalism of automobiles do occur. Do not leave items visible inside your parked car, and keep important items out of reach of outsiders while driving.

While Belize is generally a friendly and accommodating society, females should be particularly attentive to risks associated with being in public alone or in the company of only one other female. Sexual harassment is commonplace, and sexual assaults occur regularly. Move about in groups, staying in well-lit areas, avoiding short-cuts, and maintaining good situational awareness.

Visitors and residents should always be aware of the presence of criminals who prey on targets of opportunity. Visitors should practice sound personal security techniques. Keep a low profile, and avoid wearing expensive or flashy jewelry, especially when in open markets. Do not dress in a manner that displays or indicates wealth.

Beware of pickpockets. Men should keep their wallet and cash in their front pants pocket. A woman's purse should be small and held closely in front of her. Avoid carrying large amounts of cash, and do not flash large amounts of money when paying a bill. Make sure your credit card is returned to you after each transaction.

Buses and cars do not yield to pedestrians. Although walking or exercising in most Belizean cities or towns after dark has not been problematic, this practice is not recommended in Belize City, especially for women. Make a note of emergency telephone numbers and locations you may need: police, fire, your hotel, and the U.S. Embassy. In all situations, if confronted by criminals, resistance may provoke a more violent response. If you are confronted, do not fight back -- give up your valuables as they are not worth your life.

Keep your hotel door secured at all times. Meet visitors in the lobby. Do not leave money and other valuables in your hotel room while you are out. Use the hotel safe, if available. If you are out late at night, let someone know when you expect to return. If you are alone, do not get on an elevator if there is a suspicious-looking person inside. Read the fire safety instructions in your hotel room. Know how to report a fire, and be sure you know where the nearest fire exits and alternate exits are located. Count the doors between your room and the nearest exit; this could be a lifesaver if you have to crawl through a smoke-filled corridor.

Prior to road travel, ensure that your vehicle is in good operating condition, paying particular attention to the engine, tires, brakes, head and tail lights, spare tire and jack, horn, and fluid levels. Particularly on trips to remote areas, try to travel in tandem with other vehicles, and advise someone of your travel plans, including anticipated arrival and departure times and contact numbers. The following items are recommended for extended road trips:

Cellular telephone with charger (although some areas in Belize lack coverage)
A spare tire
Potable water
Non-perishable food items
First Aid kit
Fire extinguisher
Emergency tool kit
Jumper cables
Compressed air tire pump
Flares/reflectors

If your tire is mounted on the outside of the vehicle, secure it in place with a chain and padlock or similar device. If this is not possible, remove the spare tire and leave it at home, reinstalling it only for extended trips outside the city. Replace one lug nut on each wheel with a specially-keyed bolt that locks or can only be removed with a special attachment to the tire iron.

Parking on the street can rarely be avoided. If left overnight, ensure you park in an area that is well lit, with security guards (most hotels have security guards) and within view of the location of your visit. Use of a car alarm is a necessary precaution in deterring vehicle thefts and thefts of interior contents. Theft of small, easily pilfered items is a common crime, as is the theft of car sound systems, so keep your vehicle sterile, storing anything that would entice a thief out of plain view.

Areas to Avoid

It is recommended that travel to the south side of Belize City be minimized to official business only and personal trips be avoided.

Further Information

The Embassy is open for regular business Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm. The Embassy is closed on American and Belizean holidays. Americans are encouraged to register with the American Citizens Service Office, located in the Consular Section.

Embassy Address (physical location):

U.S. Embassy Belmopan
4 Floral Park Road
Belmopan, Belize

Mailing address:

U.S. Embassy Belmopan
P.O. Box 497
Belmopan, Belize

Websites:

http://belize.usembassy.gov/http://www.facebook.com/Belize.USEmbassyhttp://travel.state.gov/http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t … _1055.htmlhttp://www.osac.gov/

Email:

[email protected]

Embassy Phone Numbers (Belize Country Code: 501):

Main Embassy Number: 822-4011
Main Embassy Fax: 822-4012
Embassy Duty Officer: 610-5030
Regional Security Office: 822-4011 ext. 4105
Economic/Political Section: 822-4011 ext. 4197
Embassy Nurse: 822-4011 ext. 4286
American Citizen Services: 822-4011 ext. 4219/4209

OSAC Country Council

Belize has an active OSAC Country Council. Interested parties can contact the council through the Embassy's Regional Security Officer at +501-822-4011 ext 4105 or go to http://www.osac.gov/ and search for Belmopan.

Attachments

No Attachment.

David Schnorbus
OSAC Executive Director

Peter D. Ford
OSAC Deputy Executive Director

James Snyder
OSAC Co-Chair
Chief Security Officer
ConocoPhillips Company

Telephone: 571-345-2223

This is a U.S. Government inter-agency website managed by the Bureau of Diplomatic Security, U.S. Department of State.

Please note that all OSAC products are for internal U.S. private sector purposes only. Publishing or otherwise distributing OSAC-derived information in a manner inconsistent with this policy may result in the discontinuation of OSAC support.

The Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC) provides links to non-government websites as a public service only. The U.S. government, including OSAC, neither endorses nor guarantees in any way the external organizations, services, advice, or products included in these website links. For more information, please read our  full disclaimer.

Overseas Security Advisory Council - Bureau of Diplomatic Security
U.S. Department of State - Washington, D.C. 20522-2008
Telephone: 571-345-2223 - Facsimile: 571-345-2238

http://www.state.gov/m/ds/http://www.state.gov/m/ds/http://www.rewardsforjustice.net/http://travel.state.gov/http://www.cdc.gov/https://www.cia.gov/http://www.ncix.gov/http://www.nsa.gov/http://www.dni.gov/http://www.fbi.gov/http://www.dsac.gov/Pages/index.aspxhttp://www.dhs.gov/http://www.uscg.mil/http://www.cbp.gov/http://www.secretservice.gov/http://www.tsa.gov/http://www.usa.gov/ its medical conditions.

im curious why everyone says to go into chetumal for groceries and medical and supplies because its too expensive in belize for everyday things your accustomed to?the shopping is better,the medical is better,you can get a good steak "fresh" for under $66.00blz,theres malls,walmart,sams clubs,but mention live there and everyone bashes the place,seems very hypocritical.everything is half the price in mexico than belize and corozal is an ideal location for this,if you become very sick on ambergrise caye or anywhere in belize what are your options.here is the official website of the united states bureau of diplomatic security on belize in 2012.it lists everthing you need to know and is unbiased.you can get information on any country or area.my brother works for military intelligence and is currently in the mountain in colorado for 3 yrs.if he gets sick hes air ambulanced to a vet hospital,and hes not even allowed to go to belize due to its lack of medical technology

Hello, welcome to OSAC! |  Advanced Search
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search 

Daily News
Reports

Events
Incidents
Country Councils
Common Interest
Councils
Other
Resources

LOGIN

Report   DETAILS

Print          Email 

Belize 2012 Crime and Safety Report
Murder; Burglary; Theft; Stolen items; Rape/Sexual Violence; Transportation Security; Human Trafficking; Drug Trafficking; Money Laundering; Hurricanes; Earthquakes; Floods; Wildfires; Travel Health and Safety; Hotels
Western Hemisphere > Belize > Belmopan
4/5/2012
Overall Crime and Safety Situation

Crime Threats

Crime has been on the rise in Belize for the past several years. Belize remains a high-crime country due largely to the extremely high murder rate per capita. Belize is officially the sixth most dangerous country in the world with an average of just over 39 homicides per 100,000 residents. Belize has the second highest murder rate in the Caribbean, the third in Central America, and the fifth in the Americas. Belize set new national records for murders in 2009 and 2010. Gang violence, still largely confined to Belize City, is a significant contributor to the high murder rate. There were 125 murders recorded for 2011, four less than 2010, likely due to the gang truce in Belize City that began in September 2011. However, even though the number of murders dipped, ending a three-year trend of new records for murders, the murder rate actually increased slightly, due to a slight decrease in the population. A government of Belize (GOB)-supported gang truce was agreed to in September 2011 and dramatically reduced the intentional homicides during the final four months of 2011. There were also highly-publicized raids in known gang areas by the Gang Suppression Unit (GSU). There were only nine murders reported in the 100 days following the truce. The gang truce will undoubtedly have an impact on violent crime in Belize City in 2012.   

In 2011, Belize experienced the spread of violent crime to the north and west of the country. Previously, the majority of violent crime largely occurred in the poor and violent southwest of Belize City. The remainder of the country had remained generally immune to the shocking levels of crime confined to the geographically tiny community in Belize City. The spread of violent crime to the north and west has been a significant development. There were 14 murders reported in the north in Orange Walk and 17 murders reported in Belmopan, San Ignacio, and Benque in the west. Several murders have been linked to home invasions, which are a permanent fixture of criminal life in Belize. An American businessman, Lawrence Johnson, was brutally murdered in Cayo in November 2011 during a home invasion.

Belize has also become the popular destination of choice for fugitives fleeing the criminal justice system in the United States. In 2011, 14 fugitives were located, arrested, and expelled to the United States by the Regional Security Office in joint operations with the Special Branch of the Belize Police Department.

Criminal perpetrators remain emboldened and are not deterred by the risk of confrontation.

Belmopan City, home to the U.S. Embassy since 2006, located in the Cayo District in the center-west of the country, experienced increases in violent criminal activity. Two separate diplomatic missions were targets of break-ins. Local Chinese-owned businesses were also the target of violent crimes. A local restaurant, located less than a mile from the U.S. Embassy, was robbed in November, and the storeowner was shot. Another storeowner in Belmopan killed a known Belize-city gang member as the perpetrator fled his store after robbing it. These crimes are taking place in a city with a population of just 13,000.

The majority of crimes are “property” crimes such as robbery, theft, burglary, muggings, and pick-pocketing. In 2011, Belize experienced a reported increase in rapes, burglaries, and regular thefts. However, there was a decrease in reported robberies. Often decreases are attributed to simply a lack of reporting of these crimes.

Criminal perpetrators regularly carry firearms although the number of firearms seized in gun-related crimes declined by about four percent in 2011. In the past several years, Belize has had multiple incidents of high-powered military precision firearms falling into the hands of criminal elements. There have also been credible reports of gang members acquiring and using grenades in attacks in 2008 and 2009. There were no attacks involving grenades in 2011, but local law enforcement is fearful that grenades may still be in the arsenals of some of the larger, more established gangs. In October 2011, the most significant incident to date occurred when 42 weapons were stolen from the Belize Defense Force (BDF) headquarters in Ladyville. These weapons included M-16 and M4 rifles along with 9mm pistols. Besides a significant embarrassment to the BDF, this incident represented a clear and present danger to all military, local law enforcement, and citizens of Belize. To date, only six weapons have been recovered. In 2009, a Belize Defense Force (BDF) M16 was stolen by a BDF member and sold to a well-known drug dealer in Belize, who was apprehended in February 2010 in possession of the weapon.     

Many of the safest places in Belize are the off-shore cayes (islands), which are some of the major tourist destinations. While crime still exists on the cayes, it is much less frequent and generally non-violent. Crime on the cayes is generally petty and crimes of opportunity that target tourists or more affluent long-term residents.

Much of the reported crime in Belize occurs on the main land, and 2011 saw a rash of violent criminal incidents in the north and west of Belize. In January 2011, a Swedish tourist was robbed at gunpoint in Belize City. She had cash and her passport stolen. In September 2011, an American female was raped and robbed after bicycling on the Stann Creek district highway. In August 2011, an American female was robbed and briefly held hostage in her home in the Cayo district by local men who stole nearly $6,000 worth of jewelry and electronics.

Belize offers an immense variety of tourist destinations, many of which are located in remote parts of the country. The easy pace found in Belize can lull one into forgetting that criminals will work wherever and whenever it is to their advantage. Tourists have been robbed while visiting archeological sites, and occasional violent crimes have occurred at resort areas on both mainland Belize and the cayes. Illicit activities in remote areas can quickly involve the innocent tourist. It is prudent to assume that safety procedures and requirements at tourist destinations are not up to U.S. standards and careful consideration given prior to engaging in the activity.

Public transportation can be problematic and unreliable. Taxi stands or plazas are located throughout major cities and villages and can be contacted by phone. Certain basic rules and precautions apply. Do not accept rides in vehicles that are not authorized taxis (taxis have green license plates, but perhaps few other markings), and do not ride in a taxi with occupants than just the driver. Taxis should generally only be hailed from reputable locations such as hotels and restaurants. It is always preferable to travel with an acquaintance. There have been reports of sexual assault on unaccompanied females committed by taxi drivers. Public buses in Belize are prone to safety and security problems and should be avoided. Buses are in poor operating condition, and drivers are often observed exceeding the speed limits and passing other vehicles at locations where it is unsafe to do so. Water taxis are often overcrowded and lack basic safety equipment.

Road Safety

Road conditions are generally very poor at best and hazardous at worst. The primary highways, Northern, Western, and Hummingbird (southern) highways, are in generally better condition (paved) than most roads, but these are still very narrow, two-lane highways. The highways are infrequently lit, only occasionally have shoulders, and driving can be very dangerous, especially after dusk and during the frequent rain. These major thoroughfares are the only means to transit the country aside from a small plane. Consequently, pedestrians and bicyclists utilize the same roads day and night as buses, trucks, and cars. To better illustrate the unpredictability of these hazards; in January 2012, a pedestrian was observed pushing an individual in a wheelchair along the middle of the road heading northeast to Belize City.

It is highly recommended to avoid driving on the major highways in Belize after dark. The lack of lighting, hazards along the roadways, passing vehicles, along with local buses driving above the recommended speed limits all can create a potentially deadly situation. In 2011, there were several pedestrians and motorists killed at night along the highways. Buses were a major cause of some of the more spectacular accidents. The lack of emergency medical care only exacerbates the importance of exercising extreme caution when operating vehicles at night. The Belizean judicial system assumes any driver who strikes a pedestrian or bicyclist to be at fault until proven otherwise. Children, adults, bicyclists, and animals will cross the roadways with little or no notice given and without looking to ensure the path is clear.

Stray dogs also wander freely in close proximity to the many small villages along the roads. These are a significant hazard, and motorists have been killed in vehicle accidents while trying to avoid these animals. 

Defensive driving is a critical necessity to navigate hazardous road conditions, which are only amplified during bad weather, and the poor driving habits of many local nationals and other permanent residents. Local drivers often use turn signals to signify different vehicle movements. For example, a left-hand turn signal in a vehicle ahead of you on the highway may be a signal for your car to pass on the left or it could indicate a left-hand turn by the vehicle ahead, or it could indicate a U-turn. Drivers should always use maximum follow distances to allow plenty of time to react to the unexpected.

Due to the absence of stoplights in most parts of the country, speed bumps are utilized to control speeds, especially in and around small villages and population centers. There are several different signs that indicate speed bumps, and some speed bumps are not marked at all. Speed bumps can be a significant hazard to vehicles and occupants, as they tend to be very large and damaging to vehicles that hit them too hard. Drivers should always be on the lookout for speed bumps, especially during dusk, dawn, and night driving and should also beware that vehicles will often slam on their breaks unexpectedly to try and avoid hitting a speed bump.

Traffic circles are used to take the place of traffic lights, similar to many other parts of the world. At traffic circles, you must yield to exiting traffic in the circle before proceeding and then signal before you exit to alert the vehicles behind you. 

The Belize police regularly operate checkpoints, especially in and around Belize City and Belmopan. All personnel, including diplomats should stop at these checkpoints and fully cooperate with police. The police may ask you for a form of ID, which you should produce. Often times, the focus of the checkpoints is to ensure that the vehicles are properly insured or to spot-check the window tinting on cars to ensure that it is within the legal limit. There were no reported incidents in 2011 of false checkpoints or extortion of vehicles passing through these checkpoints.

Political Violence

Historical Perspective

Political violence does not regularly occur, though there have been significant incidents in the past. In the run-up to the municipal elections of 2012, there were no reported violent demonstrations. There have been a few peaceful protests where individuals were observed openly drinking and smoking what appeared to be marijuana, but the assemblies were without incident.

Regional Terrorism and Organized Crime

Overall, corruption, human smuggling and trafficking, the drug trade, money laundering, and organized gang activity remain significant criminal problems. Additionally, in many cases, these organized criminal organizations operate beyond the ability of the police to disrupt them. The prosecution of perpetrators is problematic based upon issues endemic to the Belize judicial system.

Civil Unrest

The government requires a license to hold a protest or demonstration, requested from the police department 24 hours before the start. There are no indications of sentiments that could lead to unrest, and Americans are normally only affected by an Embassy Emergency Message that directs them to avoid the area of the demonstration.

The last protest of note was in 2009 by cane farmers against Belize Sugar Industries in Orange Walk that turned violent. Approximately 1,000 protesters successfully shut down the Northern Highway, effectively severing the northern districts from the remainder of the country and disrupting the main artery of vehicular traffic, commerce, and trade with Mexico. The demonstration culminated in a violent clash between the Belize Police Department and the protesters. The violence resulted in the death of one protester, who was shot and killed by the police, and injuries to two Belize police officers and eight protesters. The government intervened in the dispute and negotiated an end to the demonstration.

Post-Specific Concerns

Environmental Hazards

The most likely natural disaster is a hurricane, and ever since Hurricane Hattie destroyed much of Belize City in 1961, Belize pays particular attention to tropical storms in the western Caribbean. June through November is hurricane season in the western Caribbean, with the September to October period the most likely time for tropical storms and hurricanes. Belize has very limited capability to meet such a disaster, and the vulnerability is well known. Although the Belize National Emergency Management Office (NEMO) has analyzed Belize's vulnerability to a hurricane, preparations in response to their reports remain insufficient. Hurricane shelters exist along the coastline, but limited emergency food and water supplies would be overwhelmed by the high number of potential shelter seekers. Waterways require frequent dredging, so flooding would be exacerbated. Belize may have an evacuation plan in principal, but practical implementation would likely be difficult at best. In October 2010, Hurricane Richard slammed into the coast, resulting in power outages in 65 percent of the country, extensive flooding, and the blockage of the major highways. The majority of severe damage to property did not occur on the coast of Belize but rather inland in the Cayo District.

Minor earthquakes have occurred, notably in southern Belize. The most recent severe earthquake was a 7.1 magnitude quake with an epicenter 140 miles off the coast of Belize and Honduras in May 2009. Electricity in the southern portion of the country was temporarily knocked out; however, damage was minimal, and there were no reported casualties. Several minor after-shocks were felt for several weeks after with minimal effect.

There are no active volcanoes in Belize.

Because Belize is tropical and has regular rainfall, clogged drainage and waterways combined with urban growth lead to frequent flooding of roadways, even during the “dry” season. Flooding has not been disastrous, but a severe storm or hurricane will cut off vehicular movement in many coastal and inland areas.

There is a significant risk of forest fires at the end of the dry season, typically April and May.

Much of Belize is protected rainforest, and there is always the threat of attack by indigenous animals. In 2010, an American and Belizean were killed by jaguars in separate incidents.

Kidnapping

To date, Belize is the only country in Central America to have no kidnapping of tourists or foreigners for ransom.

Police Response

The Belize police work very closely with the Regional Security Office, but their ability to respond to crime is very limited. The police force is understaffed and poorly equipped. There are severe shortages of typical law enforcement equipment, including vehicles, weapons, and handcuffs. Investigations are slow and limited by bureaucratic, administrative, and resource deficiencies. The GOB takes crimes against visitors very seriously; however, the aforementioned chronic deficiencies seriously hamper their ability to respond, investigate, and generate a successful prosecution of offenders. The police and emergency telephone lines are continually busy, and contacting police is often difficult. Response times from police, should you be able to contact them, can be very slow. In the past, it was not uncommon for a police officer to ask a complainant to pick them up and take them to the scene of the crime. Due to significant resource support through the Central American Regional Security Initiative (CARSI), the Belize Police Force are receiving more equipment and training that will allow them to better carry out their law enforcement responsibilities.

If you are a victim of a crime, contact the nearest local police station:

Belize City: +501-207-2222
Belmopan: +501-802-2221
Benque Viejo: +501-803-2038
Caye Caulker: +501-226-0179
Corozal: +501-402-2022
Dangriga: +501-522-2022
Independence: +501-523-2022
Orange Walk: +501-322-2022
Punta Gorda: +501-722-2022
San Ignacio: +501-804-2022
San Pedro: +501-206-2022

How to Handle Incidents of Police Detention or Harassment

Reports of police harassment or extortion attempts of American tourists are rare; however, expatriates have reported occurrences. Any American citizen who feels he or she is being harassed should contact the American Citizen Services unit (ACS) at the U.S. Embassy in Belmopan. American officers maintain a list of local attorneys that can be provided upon request.

Medical Emergencies

There are nine hospitals in Belize. All medical clinics treat only outpatient cases and are not staffed to handle emergencies. Belize City is the center for medical care in Belize with the two major hospitals considered adequate by U.S. standards and equipped to handle serious medical problems: Belize Medical Associates and Karl Huesner Memorial Hospital. Medical facilities outside Belize City are not adequate to handle serious medical conditions, such as cardiac problems, and often fail to meet basic U.S. standards. Travelers should bring any legally-prescribed drugs that they may need during their visit. Additionally, there are reasonably well-stocked pharmacies in most major towns and tourist destinations, and prescriptions are not required.

Belize Medical Associates
5791 St. Thomas Street, Kings Park, Belize City
Tel # +501-223-0303

Karl Huesner Memorial Hospital
Princess Margaret Drive, Belize City
Tel # +501-223-1548

Air Ambulance Services

Those with serious or life-threatening problems who need to be evacuated to the United States should contact Air Ambulance Professionals. Medical expenses in Belize can be costly. It is recommended to check with your insurance company to verify you have sufficient coverage before traveling to Belize.

Air Ambulance Professionals
Ft. Lauderdale Executive Airport
Hanger 36B 1535 S. Perimeter Road
Ft. Lauderdale, FL  33309
Tel:  800-752-4195; 954-491-0555
Fax:  954-491-6114
www.airambulanceprof.com

For those traveling in the more remote areas of Belize or to the off-shore cayes, they should take note that emergency transportation to adequate medical facilities may be problematic. Astrum Helicopters provides MEDEVAC flights in coordination with the Belize Emergency Response Team (BERT). For emergency response and transportation, BERT is Belize's only qualified provider.

Astrum Helicopters
Mile 3.5 Western Highway
Belize City, Belize
Office: +501-222-5100
Fax: +501-222-5105
www.astrumhelicopters.com

Belize Emergency Response Team (BERT)
P.O. Box 1370
1675 Sunrise Avenue
Coral Grove Area
Belize City, Belize, Central America
Tel: +501-223-3292
Cell: +501-610-3890
Fax: +501-223-0549
Email: [email protected]

Tips on How to Avoid Becoming a Victim

Criminal acts, including extremely violent acts, can and do happen in all areas of Belize, to include Belize City and tourist destinations such as San Pedro and Caye Caulker. When these acts happen in some of the more remote areas, there is little protection or assistance available for the victims. It is generally preferable that you comply with a robber's instructions. It is always best to leave valuables and large amounts of cash locked up in a secure location.

Break-ins and vandalism of automobiles do occur. Do not leave items visible inside your parked car, and keep important items out of reach of outsiders while driving.

While Belize is generally a friendly and accommodating society, females should be particularly attentive to risks associated with being in public alone or in the company of only one other female. Sexual harassment is commonplace, and sexual assaults occur regularly. Move about in groups, staying in well-lit areas, avoiding short-cuts, and maintaining good situational awareness.

Visitors and residents should always be aware of the presence of criminals who prey on targets of opportunity. Visitors should practice sound personal security techniques. Keep a low profile, and avoid wearing expensive or flashy jewelry, especially when in open markets. Do not dress in a manner that displays or indicates wealth.

Beware of pickpockets. Men should keep their wallet and cash in their front pants pocket. A woman's purse should be small and held closely in front of her. Avoid carrying large amounts of cash, and do not flash large amounts of money when paying a bill. Make sure your credit card is returned to you after each transaction.

Buses and cars do not yield to pedestrians. Although walking or exercising in most Belizean cities or towns after dark has not been problematic, this practice is not recommended in Belize City, especially for women. Make a note of emergency telephone numbers and locations you may need: police, fire, your hotel, and the U.S. Embassy. In all situations, if confronted by criminals, resistance may provoke a more violent response. If you are confronted, do not fight back -- give up your valuables as they are not worth your life.

Keep your hotel door secured at all times. Meet visitors in the lobby. Do not leave money and other valuables in your hotel room while you are out. Use the hotel safe, if available. If you are out late at night, let someone know when you expect to return. If you are alone, do not get on an elevator if there is a suspicious-looking person inside. Read the fire safety instructions in your hotel room. Know how to report a fire, and be sure you know where the nearest fire exits and alternate exits are located. Count the doors between your room and the nearest exit; this could be a lifesaver if you have to crawl through a smoke-filled corridor.

Prior to road travel, ensure that your vehicle is in good operating condition, paying particular attention to the engine, tires, brakes, head and tail lights, spare tire and jack, horn, and fluid levels. Particularly on trips to remote areas, try to travel in tandem with other vehicles, and advise someone of your travel plans, including anticipated arrival and departure times and contact numbers. The following items are recommended for extended road trips:

Cellular telephone with charger (although some areas in Belize lack coverage)
A spare tire
Potable water
Non-perishable food items
First Aid kit
Fire extinguisher
Emergency tool kit
Jumper cables
Compressed air tire pump
Flares/reflectors

If your tire is mounted on the outside of the vehicle, secure it in place with a chain and padlock or similar device. If this is not possible, remove the spare tire and leave it at home, reinstalling it only for extended trips outside the city. Replace one lug nut on each wheel with a specially-keyed bolt that locks or can only be removed with a special attachment to the tire iron.

Parking on the street can rarely be avoided. If left overnight, ensure you park in an area that is well lit, with security guards (most hotels have security guards) and within view of the location of your visit. Use of a car alarm is a necessary precaution in deterring vehicle thefts and thefts of interior contents. Theft of small, easily pilfered items is a common crime, as is the theft of car sound systems, so keep your vehicle sterile, storing anything that would entice a thief out of plain view.

Areas to Avoid

It is recommended that travel to the south side of Belize City be minimized to official business only and personal trips be avoided.

Further Information

The Embassy is open for regular business Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm. The Embassy is closed on American and Belizean holidays. Americans are encouraged to register with the American Citizens Service Office, located in the Consular Section.

Embassy Address (physical location):

U.S. Embassy Belmopan
4 Floral Park Road
Belmopan, Belize

Mailing address:

U.S. Embassy Belmopan
P.O. Box 497
Belmopan, Belize

Websites:

http://belize.usembassy.gov/http://www.facebook.com/Belize.USEmbassyhttp://travel.state.gov/http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t … _1055.htmlhttp://www.osac.gov/

Email:

[email protected]

Embassy Phone Numbers (Belize Country Code: 501):

Main Embassy Number: 822-4011
Main Embassy Fax: 822-4012
Embassy Duty Officer: 610-5030
Regional Security Office: 822-4011 ext. 4105
Economic/Political Section: 822-4011 ext. 4197
Embassy Nurse: 822-4011 ext. 4286
American Citizen Services: 822-4011 ext. 4219/4209

OSAC Country Council

Belize has an active OSAC Country Council. Interested parties can contact the council through the Embassy's Regional Security Officer at +501-822-4011 ext 4105 or go to http://www.osac.gov/ and search for Belmopan.

Attachments

No Attachment.

David Schnorbus
OSAC Executive Director

Peter D. Ford
OSAC Deputy Executive Director

James Snyder
OSAC Co-Chair
Chief Security Officer
ConocoPhillips Company

Telephone: 571-345-2223

This is a U.S. Government inter-agency website managed by the Bureau of Diplomatic Security, U.S. Department of State.

Please note that all OSAC products are for internal U.S. private sector purposes only. Publishing or otherwise distributing OSAC-derived information in a manner inconsistent with this policy may result in the discontinuation of OSAC support.

The Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC) provides links to non-government websites as a public service only. The U.S. government, including OSAC, neither endorses nor guarantees in any way the external organizations, services, advice, or products included in these website links. For more information, please read our  full disclaimer.

Overseas Security Advisory Council - Bureau of Diplomatic Security
U.S. Department of State - Washington, D.C. 20522-2008
Telephone: 571-345-2223 - Facsimile: 571-345-2238

http://www.state.gov/m/ds/http://www.state.gov/m/ds/http://www.rewardsforjustice.net/http://travel.state.gov/http://www.cdc.gov/https://www.cia.gov/http://www.ncix.gov/http://www.nsa.gov/http://www.dni.gov/http://www.fbi.gov/http://www.dsac.gov/Pages/index.aspxhttp://www.dhs.gov/http://www.uscg.mil/http://www.cbp.gov/http://www.secretservice.gov/http://www.tsa.gov/http://www.usa.gov/ its medical conditions.

From my knowledge of Belize the report is essentially correct. I would like to see the same report made of just cities in Canada, USA, and other western countries with the same view point. How many murders occur in these cities, how many fatal car collisions, robberies, guns in criminal's hands etc. Having been a policeman in the centre of a large (for Canada) Canadian city I got to see, and investigate many crimes as described in this report. People just really do not know what goes on in their own cities. I personally investigated 86 fatal collisions in one year, and was involved assisting in the investigation of 20 or so more.

Before making a judgement - look at the stats from where you live, or a city near you.

I am not saying the report is wrong. There are problems, and there are things you need to do. Be prepared, and be wise. There are no guarantees in life other than taxes and death.

Belize does have a high crime rate per capita, there's no denying it.  I saw a report somewhere comparing Belize to the US on this, and in most cases, it does not look pretty for Belize.  However, there are obviously places in the US, like in the inner cities, that have very high per-capita crime rates as well.  We were never fearful living on Ambergris Caye, but we led boring lives of older folks, never staying out past 10pm and living in a condo complex with 24/7 security.  Your mileage may vary!  :D

Do you work for the Mexico Tourism Board?

i can go out at night here in ottawa,the nations capital with a population of just around 1 million and feel completely safe,theres a few incidents of people in the downtown bar district that come out at 1 in the morning and want to fight or are drunk and thats when shit happens here.but for someone to walk up to you and mug you,its not seen here like the states.but you have to consider the numbers,theres only 300,000 people in the entire country in belize and the murder rate is staggering,now most people like us would not be walking around there late at night.my retirement i want to include walks down old cobblestone streets stopping for an old good wood fired-oven pizza and some good italian lambrousco wine,a fine restaurant once in a while,activities and culture,old architectural builings,im not sure of the ages of most that are posting,but to run a farm and zippling,i`ll leave that to my kids,i dont want to be bouncing around dirt roads in a 20 year old volkswagon,at retirement age medical should be a major consideration and access to it.we have the best medical in the world in canada and most of it is free,but dont go to the emergency cause you`ll sit there for 7hrs.i have a very good pension and benefits and i pay for nothing and my brother who is military has everything paid,but when we decide to retire to another country were on our own.

Popeye1 I was a street policeman in a large Canadian City. I also did 25 year statistical history of crime there as well. People think nothing is happening around them but it is. People are being robbed, beaten up, etc. Ottawa is just like any other Canadian City. Generally people do feel safe in these cities because they don't know what is going on. Getting mugged does happen to people. I know because I investigated them. With the knowledge I have when I read the report I see many of the same events as in Canada and the USA.

Canada is far from having the best medical care in the world (of course my opinion as is yours). I work in the medical field now (last 25 years). I travel the world seeing medical care, costs, delivery, etc around the world. Canada is certainly far from last place, but it can be far better. It is the media and certain interest groups that like to tout it as the best. i know from first hand experience that it is not. I had to wait for 24 hours to get surgery with a shattered femur and pelvic. This would not happen in many places of the world. I would have been whisked into surgery.

Medical care in Canada is not free. You pay for it in your taxes. It needs to be paid for by someone, and you do in your taxes. Provincial governments are tying all sorts of things to cut the costs to them for medicine in Canada. In Ontario last year doctors got an across the board 20% cut back on their fees. There are other cut backs as well. Most doctors in Ontario are very unhappy right now. I could talk for hours on this, but I won't. Too many Canadians are not informed on health care and how it is delivered. Just because they don't get a bill in the mail, they think it is free.

Belize does not have cobble stone streets generally. It has a lot of dirt roads that are very rough.  generally you are not going to find 'fine dining' like you will in more developed countries.

It is  country that the attraction to many is that it is rustic (in many places). It certainly is not for everyone. That is not a hit on the country or those that don't like it. Each to their own.

I am not young, but I like to live my life. We canoe, skydive, fly ourselves in a small airplane around the americas (and likely other places), and take back country roads. We look forward to starting our own organic farm. We need to stay active and vibrant as we can. Life is too short.

Why are my fellow Canadians always arguing on this forum?? You make us look bad.
Popeye1...you sound like you would be best to retire in Italy...Tuscany perhaps. Yes you are correct...NOTHING happens in Ottawa.
2flyaway...my whole family is in emergency services....I am a retired civilian from Toronto Police.  You are correct stating the general public have no idea what REALLY goes on. 
BOTTOM LINE...Drugs are Everywhere; People are Everywhere; Greed is Everywhere & Crime is Everywhere.  Now Terrorism is Everywhere.  This is an unfortunate fact of All Of Our Lives.
If anyone on this forum is looking for somewhere where these facts Do Not exist....may I suggest you save your money for the space mission to MARS.
This forum is turning into a group like those old farts you see sitting in coffee shops bitching about anything & everything.
Our own countries have let us down in one way or another.  Isn't that why we are looking to live in Belize???  Lets give Belize a chance before we crucify it with the same negativity we have grown to loath in our own countries.

Why is it that some people just can't stand if people disagree?  Popeye1 has his opinion and I respect that. Is there something wrong with thoughtfully, and without nasty words I disagree and express a different point of view?

I see in Popeye1's profile they want to retire to Mexico. No crime there...

You are very right, there is crime, greed, drugs, alcohol, etc everywhere in the world. Belize has it's great points, and it's bad points. We believe there is far more that is good than there is bad. That is why we ARE moving there. We love Canada, but we have decided to move. It is different than Canada but we believe it will be much better for what WE want,not what everyone else wants.

I am far from an old fart sitting around complaining. I was just giving a different point of view of Belize that we have from what Popeye1 was expressing (and he has a right to express it). If I read a forum I like to see viewpoints from different people. That then lets me make an assessment for myself.

Don't get me wrong...EVERYONE is entitled to their own opinion.  Their own opinion on what the forum is supposed to be about....BELIZE. I love listening to others experiences & adventures they have had in BELIZE.  I am merely pointing out that some are getting OFF topic with opinions that have nothing to do with Belize.  Canadians seem to be the worse.
This forum has had its troubles before due to this same type of commentary...too much negative opinion & not enough fact.  A certain topic had to be shut down,  I would hate to see this happen again.

Just a note added.  There is no exit fee for Americans.  As long as you stay in the Chetumal Area and not go anywhere else.  You can stay for up to 7 days without paying.  If you stay longer or go out of the area you must go to the bank with your visa and pay $almost 300 pesos.  So if you ask them for a receipt at the border and their name.  They know then that you know it is a scam and they will usually tell you to go on.  Had that experience a few times but they got the ones that didn't know better.

LoveBelize wrote:

Just a note added.  There is no exit fee for Americans.  As long as you stay in the Chetumal Area and not go anywhere else.  You can stay for up to 7 days without paying.  If you stay longer or go out of the area you must go to the bank with your visa and pay $almost 300 pesos.  So if you ask them for a receipt at the border and their name.  They know then that you know it is a scam and they will usually tell you to go on.  Had that experience a few times but they got the ones that didn't know better.

We knew it was a scam since we'd stayed only 1/2 day in Mexico and knew that the exit fee only applied for stays of 7 days, though we had nothing in writing stating that to show.  We argued mercilessly with the immigration officer, but to no avail.  We were running out of time to get on the ferry back to San Pedro, and since he knew that, he nailed both us and our friends with the $25US fee.  We absolutely would not have been allowed to pass without paying.  There were men with machine guns there, so we finally gave up and paid, but we argued all the way down the dock and vowed never to go back for less than 7 days.  And we didn't.

Thanks for that info LoveBelize!!

And as for all this stuff that Popeye1 keeps posting on this thread, I'm tired of reading his negativity about Belize!! Most especially since he plans to retire in Mexico!! So Popeye1, you need to get out of the Belize Forums and join the Mexico Forum!! The people here are interested in Belize and all of your bad mouthing on Belize and all the BS about Mexico isn't going to change anyone's mind about Belize!!

It's easy to copy and paste all the stuff off the US Govs website about crime in Belize or any other country, but one thing I know for a fact is they don't have major drug cartels going around Belize chopping peoples heads off and dumping bodies in piles on the streets like they do in Mexico!!

The fact is that the majority of violent crime in Belize is Gang related in Belize City and none of us are thinking about moving there!!

Most of us are planning on retiring to Belize for a simpler lifestyle and to eat healthy natural foods instead of all the processed stuff in North America.. Sure we might like to have a few items from back home that we can't get in Belize, but I can promise you that most of us are prepared to live without everything we have become accustomed to in order to live a simpler more relaxed lifestyle.

All North Americans are spoiled and the way I see it, if I weren't prepared to live a different standard of living, then I would just stay in Texas and not retire outside of the US at all.. But I'm prepared to leave a lot behind and I'm excited to be planning my great escape from the rat race to live a slower and less complicated life!!

If you don't have first hand knowledge and have no intention of retiring in Belize, then please just don't comment on this forum!!

Please do not come here.   Stay where you are.  that will work for all of us.

Texblondi2....You Go Girl.  You said it much better than I did.  My fellow Canadians were getting way over the top.  The cutting & pasting...REALLY!!!
CHEERS.

People are ridiculous. I am sitting here reading about all this crime you can expect in Belize. Mean while when we first moved here to BC someone tried to break into our house one night while we were sleeping. I am listening to the news and I am hearing about an RCMP officer that is accusing other officers of sexual abuse. I am hearing about shootings in the city and kidnappings sooo realistically there is crime everywhere you just have to watch out for yourselves and avoid it but it is everywhere not just Belize!!!!

Thank you little canadian family.  It is nice to hear some good common sense from a fellow Canadian.  I am guessing you are female from your pink avatar. Between you, me & texblondi2....Women rule...Just Saying.