Costs of moving from U.S. to Belize- Insight needed

Kimkaycarroll wrote:

First time on this blog. My husband, myself & our 10 year old daughter are looking at relocating to Belize. We are looking for a simpler life. We currently live in the US. We are looking for pro & cons on where to live, work, safety, buying an existing business or starting one, schools vs. homeschooling, etc. any advice would be great! Books, websites, etc. I have been reading previous posts and noticed a lot of issues with contractors. We currently have a decorative concrete & general contracting company so how hard would it be to start one in Belize. Thanks

Welcome to the boards!  There are alot of great folks here that can provide great advice and insight of what to expect, etc.  Research, researh, research!

Laurie
The Cruisin Camper

My family and I are in the same boat. We are hoping to move in about a year. I have a 5 year old girl and 6 year old boy. I work as an RN and am hoping to keep working once I'm allowed to. I'm having a hard time finding up to date information. Keep me filled in if you find anything that is recent and helpful!

Has anyone actually drove from US to Belize? If so please share that adventure? To move shall we ship or drive this is the first of my questions.

Kimkpalmer wrote:

Has anyone actually drove from US to Belize? If so please share that adventure? To move shall we ship or drive this is the first of my questions.

Yep -- these guys:

https://www.expat.com/en/blog/central-a … ogspot.com

Yes I actually drove thru Mexico to Belize.  My daughter and I came in a motor home loaded down with stuff.  LOL  She does speak Spanish.  I don't.  My best advice is to sell lyour furniture and bring personal things and kitchen stuff with you as furniture is cheap in Belize and Mexico and you have to have a special permit to bring wood furniture into Belize.  If you need more info.  Just e-mail me at [email protected] and I can hopefully answer questions in detail.  Ruby

Is it all wood, or furniture only. What about carvings small ( did them myself) and my wife has baskets & purse .

Thanks so much for the response. I will email you soon. Again thanks

Kimkpalmer, Yes, we drove down in late November - it's all posted on our blog, Belize us!...www.belize-us.blogspot.com

CaribeGal - Thanks!

babsumi wrote:

CaribeGal - Thanks!

You're very welcome.  I read your blog about your journey down to Belize through Mexico and found it excellent!

Wood....Yoto get the form and the permits.
u contact Bahi

This is my first time to read this thread and WOW... So much good info on here.. Some of it has actually made me think twice about moving to Belize permanently when I retire.. And some has made me very glad that I have a good realtor on Ambergris Caye that knows several good builders there.. At least I have 5 more years to decide before I just take a leap of faith..

@ Connie - So sorry about your house issues with the builder. :(
That is probably my biggest fear about moving to Belize..

@ Crusin Campers - OMG.. You are so right about the beef in Australia!! It is dreadful, was like chewing on an old boot!! lol And that was in the best Steak House in Rockhampton where the cattle market is.. But the lamb, chicken and fish was good and you do adjust!!

OK, I can live without the junk food.. I never buy or eat Potato Chips.. I know how to cook just about anything if I can get the ingredients I need.. So can you find all the basic spices, fruits and veggies in Belize?? Got to have good coffee too! Can you have Omaha Steaks shipped into Belize?? That would be the one thing I'd really miss, a perfect Filet Mignon.. lol

Texblondi2 wrote:

OSo can you find all the basic spices, fruits and veggies in Belize?? Got to have good coffee too! Can you have Omaha Steaks shipped into Belize?? That would be the one thing I'd really miss, a perfect Filet Mignon.. lol

Most but not all re. fruits/veggies.  Instead of berries, you'll find papayas (almost year round), different varieties of bananas (the small ones are the most flavorful!), citrus (no lemons, just limes), mangoes (part of the year), plantains, and some other tropical fruits that you may never get in the US (occasionally -- dragonfruit, soursop, cherimoya, and others).  You can buy some imported fruits like apples, grapes, and strawberries at high prices, so we never buy them.  You can get frozen berries, but again, prices are very high, so we don't buy those either.  The spinach is a different type here, or substitute chaya.  Locally grown are zucchini, chayote, peppers (tho mostly just green, only rarely red and yellow, which baffles me), avocados (only a few months of the year), onions, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, cabbage, green beans, and cucumbers.  You can buy other veggies imported, like broccoli, kale, etc.  Expensive, but I buy them because we eat a lot of veggies, and you burn out on the same ones all the time.  Plus some of the most nutritious ones are imported only (broccoli, kale).

Sometimes you go to the market for something and every single place is sold out.  If there's a tropical storm, or a holiday, the boats from the mainland to Ambergris Caye may not run, and the stands may all be out of something basic like bananas for a few days.  You have to be flexible!

Can't answer your question about steaks as we don't eat beef.

Thanks Caribe Girl..

I don't eat a lot of beef either, but I do like a good Filet from time to time so even if the duty is very high, I'd be willing to pay it to have a dozen shipped in once or twice a year. :)

I'm not moving for another 5 years yet so hopefully by then there will be more "American" things available locally with so many Expats moving to Belize.

When they get coffee into the shops buy a lot as it sells out quick and might take a month of two to get it in again.  They have been without Folgers for 2 months now.  Went to Chet to buy fresh ground coffee.  Hate that instant stuff.

LoveBelize wrote:

When they get coffee into the shops buy a lot as it sells out quick and might take a month of two to get it in again.  They have been without Folgers for 2 months now.  Went to Chet to buy fresh ground coffee.  Hate that instant stuff.

Not sure where you are, LoveBelize.  There is always plenty of coffee in San Pedro!  I have never had to resort to instant nor Folgers.  I buy the Gallon Jug Estates Belizean coffee.  It's available in all supermarkets as well as from the Bowen & Bowen (aka Belikin) distributors.

yuck to gallon jug.  We were in Corozal Town.

LoveBelize wrote:

yuck to gallon jug.  We were in Corozal Town.

To each his/her own, but it sure beats Folger's IMO.  :cool:

A gallon jug?? Not sure I understand what that means.. Pre-made coffee?? Gross.. lol I grind beans fresh daily and I drink a LOT of coffee..

Texblondi2 wrote:

A gallon jug?? Not sure I understand what that means.. Pre-made coffee?? Gross.. lol I grind beans fresh daily and I drink a LOT of coffee..

Gallon Jug is the brand name of a local Belizean coffee.

http://www.gallonjug.com/

I think it's great.  Organic and locally grown.  Available in whole beans and ground.

Ah ok, so that's probably not too bad.. I don't do Flogers myself.. When I go to Hawaii each year I bring back about 10-20 bags of whole beans in my suit case.. Kona is my favorite coffee and it's pretty cheap out there, $5 -$8 for 12oz of whole beans. I wonder if Belizean Customs searches your bags when you return? Might be another thing I have to have shipped in and suck up the duties.. I can live without a lot of things and adjust to most anything, but got to have my coffee daily and I'm gonna need my Omaha Steaks Filet Mignon every now and then!! lol

Texblondi2 wrote:

Ah ok, so that's probably not too bad.. I don't do Flogers myself.. When I go to Hawaii each year I bring back about 10-20 bags of whole beans in my suit case.. Kona is my favorite coffee and it's pretty cheap out there, $5 -$8 for 12oz of whole beans. I wonder if Belizean Customs searches your bags when you return? Might be another thing I have to have shipped in and suck up the duties.. I can live without a lot of things and adjust to most anything, but got to have my coffee daily and I'm gonna need my Omaha Steaks Filet Mignon every now and then!! lol

You should try the Gallon Jug when you're visiting here just to see -- perhaps you will like it.

We brought a bag of excellent coffee back from Mexico in December because it was half the price of Belizean coffee.  You are allowed to bring in a certain amount of goods purchased elsewhere duty-free (the limit is on the custom's form; I can't recall it now), but since we were under the limit I didn't have to declare the coffee separately, just a total dollar amount.  May have been $50 or 100 BZ per person.

When coming into the country, customs will search some people's bags.  We are usually not searched but have been searched once.  Even then, they just looked at the top couple layers.  We have never had to pay duty on anything we brought in in suitcases, only items that were shipped in.  Everything that comes in via postal service, boat, FedEx, etc. will have duty assessed.

I'll be in San Pedro in April and I plan to go grocery shopping!! I'll have a small kitchen where I'm staying and don't want to eat out all the time. My main purpose for this trip is to check out my lot and San Pedro.. Of course I'm going to have to do some diving and snorkeling while I'm there, have to see the Blue Hole!! :D

Customs usually does not bother with things in your luggage if they are for personal use.  I am addicted to Britts Costa Rican coffee.  Of course, you all understand that you can not have anything shipped to you in Belize unless you use an importer.  (Anyway, back to customs and coffee.)  I would have it shipped to an address in the US, pick it up and pack in 20 bags at a time.  No one ever said a word.  Also, when you bring clothes, appliances, etc. take off the tags and throw the box away before you pack it in your luggage.  They don't bother you with personal items at the airport.  I brought back stuff from Chetumal, tore the tags off clothes, etc. But obviously declared several bags of Christmas presents.  I have never tried to drive into Belize from the US.  That would be an adventure.

Our questions about Belize is 1, Can we have dual citizenship? 2, Can we own property? 3, Can we have firearms? 4, If we can have dual citizenship how long does the process last? 5, Can we bring our two dogs?

Thank you, Larry and Cheryl King

Nosmokin wrote:

Our questions about Belize is 1, Can we have dual citizenship? 2, Can we own property? 3, Can we have firearms? 4, If we can have dual citizenship how long does the process last? 5, Can we bring our two dogs?

Thank you, Larry and Cheryl King

1. Yes, but you can't even apply for Belize citizenship until you have been a permanent resident for five years, I believe.
2. Yes, that's very easy.  Many real estate agents in Belize.  Most sales are all cash or owner financed, not many are mortgaged, though it can be done.
3. Yes, but I have heard that the process is a bit difficult.  Not a gun person myself so can't give you specifics.  Many fewer guns in Belize than in the US per capita.
4. See #1.
5. Yes, that's not a difficult process and has been discussed in this forum before.  Try a search.

Good luck!

re: 3. Yes, but I have heard that the process is a bit difficult.  Not a gun person myself so can't give you specifics.  Many fewer guns in Belize than in the US per capita.

Compared to the USA, having a gun in Belize is more difficult. Being a Canadian it sounds like the process is very similar. You need a license / Permit. When we were last down we spoke to a lawyer about this very topic. She indicated it was not difficult, but impressed on us that having a firearm without this license is an automatic 1 year prison term.

I noticed on this trip that a few of the resorts had 1 or two people with hand guns. This too is possible to have with the appropriate license.

More paperwork, and money, but doable it sounds like. We will be trying so we will see.

Jody

be aware thet everyone i know in belize that has built has spent twice as much as they expected and it has taken twice as long as they were told.I too have spent much more on my projects there than I originaly planned to. I just started to do my own work with a hired man to help me. I am a carpenter in the states so its easy for me but I understand that not everyone can do this.be careful and good luck.......billem

billem wrote:

be aware thet everyone i know in belize that has built has spent twice as much as they expected and it has taken twice as long as they were told.I too have spent much more on my projects there than I originaly planned to. I just started to do my own work with a hired man to help me. I am a carpenter in the states so its easy for me but I understand that not everyone can do this.be careful and good luck.......billem

That is a good point, Billem.  If I were to buy a house in Belize, I would buy an existing home for that very reason, not build new. We did build a new condo, but it was in a resort that was already up and running and established.  Still, there were a few costs we didn't expect even so.

Resort owners have the ability to get an almost "automatic" license for a gun.  Very few others are issued.  We have a local "volunteer" Emergency Service in Plantation and all of the members (almost 100% were ex-pats and many were retired US policemen) carried guns and had arrest powers.  Very professional, but they had gone through the whole process of being certified as Belize Police Officers, had done the training, etc. It was amazing to have that to fall back on.  The closest Belize Police Force was in Seine Bight and they had no car.  The next, larger station was in Placencia, (also no car), and if you had a problem, you had to drive to Placencia, pick up an officer and drive them back to your property.  Not a very good option is you had somebody breaking in your back door.  One think you might think about is checking our emergency services before you locate.

A friend of mine has been trying for over 2 years to get a permit for a gun.  She is x military and a single woman living in a house where no one is around.  She has been robbd 3 times.  She had another attempt but she had strong doors.  Still had to have them replaced.

Gallon Jug is a brand name. The best coffee is grown in the mountains.  Not little hills.  lol

WOW.. This blog is raising a whole lot of concerns for me.. Is the issue with being robbed extremely high everywhere in Belize? I'm also a single female and considering Ambergris Caye for my retirement. Am I going to have to be worried that I might be robbed every day and night?? That is the very least of my concerns where I live now and have never felt a need for a gun for protection..

I have been to Belize in Nov 2012 for a week and again March 2013. We never once felt in danger walking around.  The topic came up because Mosmokin asked. That does not mean you should have one.

I have lived in Texas and found people friendly, and I felt very safe there. Many people in Texas like to have their guns, and many have carry permits. That does not mean it is dangerous and you need a gun. Do you feel that in Texas you are in danger? I would not concern yourself with this.

Texblondi2 wrote:

WOW.. This blog is raising a whole lot of concerns for me.. Is the issue with being robbed extremely high everywhere in Belize? I'm also a single female and considering Ambergris Caye for my retirement. Am I going to have to be worried that I might be robbed every day and night?? That is the very least of my concerns where I live now and have never felt a need for a gun for protection..

There are theft and burglaries in Ambergris Caye.  Most people who have private homes have caretakers and at least one dog.  I am sure there are those with guns as well, but since permits are hard to obtain, caretakers/dogs are a more common option.  Security systems are also available and a very smart idea.  We never worried and did not even have burglar bars on our windows as most homes you will see do, but living in a condo complex with 24/7 security guards is different from a private home.  I personally knew several people in private homes who were robbed, and two have since left the island. I don't believe either had a caretaker, security system, or large dog.  You do have to take care when you leave your home unoccupied.

Things do seem to be improving since a new police constable has come to San Pedro along with additional police force, but property is something that tends to get swept under the rug by those who make their livelihood based on tourism and/or people moving to the island.

No, I absolutely don't worry about being robbed or a breakin where I live in Texas!! I am not a gun person and have never felt the need to own one here.. But then I am in a very small suburb North of Dallas. There is a high tax base here so we have a lot more Police patrol than there is in Dallas. I see a patrol car drive down my street 2-3 times a day simply because this is a very small community and the Police don't have anything else to do but patrol the streets.

But I have read a LOT of stories on here about breakins and being robbed in Belize and that does concern me!!

CaribeGal wrote:
Texblondi2 wrote:

There are theft and burglaries in Ambergris Caye.  Most people who have private homes have caretakers and at least one dog.  I am sure there are those with guns as well, but since permits are hard to obtain, caretakers/dogs are a more common option.  Security systems are also available and a very smart idea.  We never worried and did not even have burglar bars on our windows as most homes you will see do, but living in a condo complex with 24/7 security guards is different from a private home.  I personally knew several people in private homes who were robbed, and two have since left the island. I don't believe either had a caretaker, security system, or large dog.  You do have to take care when you leave your home unoccupied.

Things do seem to be improving since a new police constable has come to San Pedro along with additional police force, but property is something that tends to get swept under the rug by those who make their livelihood based on tourism and/or people moving to the island.

Thanks CaribeGal.. I have heard that you should have a Caretaker if you aren't going to be on your property all the time. Since I'm not planning to build down there until I am very close to retirement, I am hopeful that some things will improve over the next several years..

I hope so too -- and I meant "property crime", not "property" in my post above.  I hope that things will improve in the next few years.  Also helps to ask the neighbors in any area you're considering settling to see if they've had issues and what precautions they take.

Carolyn1 wrote:

It is not cheap to live in Belize unless you want to live like a Belizian.  It cost a lot to live a "US lifestyle" there

Carolyn,

Without being TOO specific, can you give us an idea of what it cost you to live in Belize.

Thanks, as usual!

Diane and Larry

KimKaycarroll:
Certainly what you are looking for (likes & dislikes) determine what part of Belize you would like. Like others, highly recommend that you go there a few times to get your own feeling as to what you like.

We are not down there now, but plan on opening a business there too. I believe competition is intense as there is not millions of customers available. There are established businesses down there run by hard working people.

Learning ourselves, so I don't want to comment more as I don't feel I have enough good information.

That is a good point, Billem.  If I were to buy a house in Belize, I would buy an existing home for that very reason, not build new. We did build a new condo, but it was in a resort that was already up and running and established.  Still, there were a few costs we didn't expect even so.

We are building from scratch and - fingers crossed - it is not costing any more than the contracted price. We know, however, that if we choose anything 'out of spec'that the cost will change. That will be our choice. And our cost.

When you built the condo CaribeGal dd you have a contract with the builder or the developer?

http://www.abelizehomeforus.wordpress.com