Costs of moving from U.S. to Belize- Insight needed

Hello. My husband and I are considering moving to Belize in the next year or so. I am reading everything I can about the country and moving there. We are too young to qualify for the QRP program and don't have the necessary monthly income (however, we do plan to come with about $200,000 total to live on there for as long as we can).
We are thinking we will do the "tourist card" thing indefinitely and pay the monthly fees to stay in the country. We realize we cannot work for pay under this program, but I am wondering *Can we start our own little business in Belize and make money in our business being there on a Tourist Card?

And, in reading, it seems like driving from the U.S to Belize (through Mexico) can be quite costly... Fees and insurances, pay-offs, etc. in Mexico. And then for bringing our vehicle into Belize (if we intend to keep it there--which we do), I have read that there can be an import duty of up to 80%! Is that correct?? Has anyone had experience with this? We plan to drive and keep an SUV in Belize, perhaps pulling a trailer of some sort with a small amount of personal belongings.

Any insights and guidance that anyone has had in these areas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

PS: We will be in Belize for a week starting Oct. 23, 2010.

I think I understand how you feel about leaving America - I have got so tired of tea party etc. I am tempted to move back to Europe myself (I have EU citizenship)... I work for a Belize organization and need to spend a few month a year there, yet I would not want to live there permanently due to a variety of factors (I'd rather live in Mexico close to Belize if I had no other choice), but if you think you would like to reside in Belize, here are my 3 cents:

I would suggest you look around Corozal during your exploratory week in Belize, look at what you can RENT there (do not buy anything before you have actually lived in a place for at least 6 months, preferably a year), go to the customs and try to find out about a possibility of bringing a car for a limited period of time (not permanently) and how much it could cost - I do not know if there is such a possibility in Belize, but there is in Mexico, so may be. If that would not work find out custom duties on different types of vehicles (In Ian Sludder's book: Living abroad in Belize custom duty of 68% on 6 or 8 cylinder auto, 60% on 4 cylinder auto, but only 22% on a 4 cylinder pick up truck) and perhaps rethink the kind of vehicle you want to bring with you...

Also look of what is available in Corozal and in Chetumal, Mexico of household goods, check prices and - again - custom duties and decide what to bring and what to buy later.

You might want to start looking for a volunteer option: you can get a volunteer permit and - after some time - the organization you volunteer for might want to hire you and get you a work permit... and if you stay in Belize for a year - not leaving for longer than a cululative 14 day's period in a year's time - even to cross the border to shop in Chetumal - you might apply for a residency permit, and than you would be able to work legally, bring stuff duty free, etc.

Hi folks! You did not mention what area you will be looking at. Are you wanting to live on the mainland or a island? Belize is a country of oppertunity, and yes they would love for you to start a bussiness, especially if you may employ some Belizeans. I guess my question to you whould be what are you looking for? Jungle? Ocean? Farmland? Mountains? We drove threw Mexico and have drove almost to the Bottom of the country.  Each city,town,village has different things to offer. Let us know if we can answer any questions for you.Hopefully we will meet when you come for a visit in October.Just a word of advise. Bring some bug spray high in deet. The mosquitoes, and sand flies can be furosious at times!

Not sure I understand what you are doing. Moving to Belize or spending a week in the country? Driving to Belize for only a week doesn't make much sense unless you plan on leaving your vehicle here for use next year. Finding a safe place to store it will be a problem, but I could help you out there.

Driving through Mexico is not expensive other than the gas you use and accomodations. I wouldn't worry about bribes, nor banditos. Insurance is cheap. However, I wouldn't drive alone, and someone should be able to speak some Spanish. And language is the big difference between Belize & Mexico along with titled property.

Hi,  If you want to e-mail me with any questions I can help you out.  [email protected]
Ruby Wood

Belize will be very happy to have you start a business.  to work in Belize you must apply for a work visa and tell them you plan to start a business.  S.S. card etc.  It cost $1,000.00 BZ. each and you do not have to go to immigration every month and pay.  You are stamped in your passport after your first month and it is good for a year.  You can apply for residency and then you are free and clear.  Most people think they should just pay each month but it speeds it up if you do it right.

I live in Bullet Tree village just outside of San Ignacio, We own Mr Greedy`s pizzeria in San Ignacio. San Ignacio and the Cayo area has a large expat population, and if you are self motivated you will find many opportunity's here. Just remember to have patience, take your time, talk to other business owners, and understand the market is small not a lot of volume. I am a builder here and I can tell you getting supplies can be tricky and the prices go up and down like a yo yo. If you have questions contact me at [email protected]

My husband Stan and I, (and our Yellow Lab, Beau),are planning on moving to Belize in February or March 2011.  I will be retiring in January and we are planning on travelling through the States into Mexico and down through Belize.  (Has anyone else done this?  Any tips or ideas as to the best routes, places to stay etc.) We are hoping to begin our adventure by travelling thoughout Belize for at least 6 or 8 months before settling down in one area to continue living our dream.  We think we would like to eventually purchase a small home in Corozal or Consejo but we have a good while to go before a firm decision will be made.  We will be living on a budget so are not planning to stay anywhere too expensive.  Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanks!  Regina and Stan

To StandardRegina,

Are you bringing a motor home?  Or driving a truck or car?  If in a motor home you can park for free in the service stations all the way down thru Mexico. Be polite and ask their permission.  Buy your gas there and coffee.    Do not drive after dark as there are no berms to pull over. We came down the coast so we would not have to go thru mountains.  There are enough steep hills here and there on the coatal area.  In 2003 We spent about a $1,000.00 U.S. for gas food and tolls along with a couple of break downs.  e-mail me for any other questions.  I live in Corozal.  Will be happy to help you find a cheap place to stay.

We will be returning to Belize for the 4th time. We have not been to Corozal yet. We have visited the Cayes, San Ignacio, Placencia. Our plans are to retire there in two years. Any must see's in Corozal or helpful hints?
Thanks

You will need to e-mail Agricultural Department Belize [email protected] and ask for an application to bring your pet dog.  Print it out and then fill out in black ink then scan and attach to an e-mail back it will take them 7 days to process the application.  If you are coming thru the northern border.  Put Santa Elana, Northern Border on your application so they will know where to send it.  Aso ask them for instructions on what you need to get your pet into the country.  Your vet will need that for the proper paperwork and shots.  When you send it back you need to give them the approximate date you will be arriving.  Keep all your e-mails printed out so you can document that all was sent and done when you get to the border because sometimes paperwork gets lost.  It happend to me but I had all the paperwork so paid and got them in. If you have any questions e-mail me at:  [email protected]  Ruby Wood

PS: We will be in Belize for a week starting Oct. 23, 2010.--

( WOW !!- soon you shall be here, I would contact
[email protected] right away, she is a wealth of info,, and has gone thru it all when she moved here, - plus she is wonderfully kind and REAL !)

I am looking to come to Belize in December (maybe November) and check out all of the areas.  I have been looking online for homes and my friend told me that I would want to be on Ambergris Caye...I have found a few homes (pre-existing) but I was wondering if someone knew of a builder?  I am looking for ocean front and would like a nice size lot.  I found one that is 2 1/2 acres which is nice but I can get by with 1+ acre.  I have three dogs (my babies) that need room to run and a place to swim.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

I am a builder and have been building here in Belize for twenty years. Contact me at [email protected]. Mary

I live in Nevada and have a house under construction in Bullet Tree Falls Village, and am leaving next week to drive down in a vehicle that I'll plan to leave there.  All of the advise I've gotten is to enter Mexico at the Los Indios bridge near Brownsville, Texas and drive down the coast highway.  Toll roads cost a bit, but are safe and patrolled by Green Angels, who will help you if you break down.
I know I need Mexican insurance and have already cleared the vehicle title through a broker in Brownsville to avoid the 72-hour wait at the border.   
I'd appreciate any advise or insight anyone has to offer as to entry into Belize, unexpected issues they encountered, things they wished they had brought, etc.
I'll also be looking for a property manager to take care of the place when I'm not there and possibly rent it on a limited basis.

Hi Connie,  Can't help you on the rental thing because I do not live in Cayo.  But do live in Corozal.  When we came down the first time thru Mexico.  My daughter could speak Spanish.  But after we passed thru she pretended that she did not.  We kept a translation book on the dash board and those packs of little cigars.  She would turn to ask me what they said and I would pick up the book and leaf thru the pages and say back to her that I was hunting and after a couple of min. they waived us on.  LOL  It worked all the way thru.  I lived in Mexico for a while and it still worked for me.  Be quiet and polite no matter what.  Do be careful of stop lights in towns.  We went the coast also and it is much better because of the toll roads.  If you get lost turn around and go back to where he knew you were.  As you do not want to go thru Mexico City by mistake.  That has happened to some people we met later on.  The polica on the whole are nice to tourists.  We were towed two times as we broke down and be careful what you say in English because some Mexicans can speak English but don't want you to know that.  Do not carry Meats with you as they will be confinicated.  Bring your computer and keep it in a case.  You can bring clothing, english books, shampoo, make up etc without duty.  If you have something you think you can not buy here bring it.  If you are coming and going you will know what to bring each time.  I hope if you rent out your house you remember to put a big locked secure closet inside your home to store your personal things.  Just a suggestion and you only rent to Gringos.  LOL  they take care of your place and pay the rent on time.  Good luck and if you have any more questions you can e-mail me at [email protected]  Ruby M. Wood

This is all GREAT information, thanks Ruby!  I have a secure storage building outside but I love the idea of a secure place inside and hadn't thought of it.  That's the main reason for going down this month--to make final decisions about room layout, etc.  I'd love to get in touch when I'm down.  If you're inclined to do so, send me your contact information. My email address is [email protected].  If there's anything (small in size) that you miss terribly from the States & want me to bring for you, let me know.  We plan to arrive in Belize around the 24th.
--Connie

Connie, I like Bullet Tree also. How are you building a home and not in Belize? Is someone watching it for you?

I bought the property several years ago after a number of visits to Belize with my sons.  Then, through meeting and working with local people, I got the utilities squared away and now have a Belizian contractor building the house.  He sends lots of photos of progress via email and I send lots of money via wire transfers  ;o)

Thankfully, the financial bleeding will stop soon and the enjoyment can begin.  This trip down is to actually see the house and make final decisions as to room layout, finish materials, etc.  Building in Belize is not as cheap as you want it to be and there is a large 'leap of faith' element.  I'd be happy to share details and experiences as I get this done, if you like.  The gentleman that sold me my property has more titled property that he would sell reasonably.

Hi, we are very interested in your experiences.  We too are planning to build in the next few years. We would love to know what builder you are using and what type of costs you have encountered.  Price of building, etc.  Hope Im not being too nosey, but am getting very anxious and its hard to get the answers you need. Thanks for any and all info.  And congrats on getting your home done soon.  Where are you building?  Thanks Sandra

Connie, I hope your trip was a good one and you found everything in order. We really like the Bullet Tree area and will looking for a place to rent when we come. We want to get established first before we build or buy. Would love to hear from you when you have a chance.

PS: the picture of me was taken on a friends farm outside of San Ignacio. The baby is theirs.

Hi I am thinking about moving to Belize as well. I found an article which might give you an insight on the cost of living in Belize. Hope it helps.
Faith
blog.spaceja.com/retire-in-belize-on-social-security/

Good article, although I disagree about Belize being one of the cheapest Caribbean countries to live in.  It is not, mostly due to food, electricity and fuel costs in addition to the fact that construction costs are not as cheap as we wish they were.  It's certainly cheaper than the US though, and the feeling of stability and safety you get in Belize (outside Belize City) is worth a lot.  I'm using a contractor out of Belize City-Ryan Gonzalez Construction.  I think he's honest and I'm satisfied with the work.  He sends photos of progress constantly, which I appreciate.  I know now that Mary, who's on this forum under the username katz30, is a builder in the Bullet Tree area and anyone thinking about building around there might want to talk with her. (Mary, I met your son at Mr. Greedy's when we were there last-nice guy). 

My son and I completed our trip without any major issues and now have a vehicle in Belize (stored with my contractor). Other than getting really sick of fees, bribes, tariffs, and generally everyone having their hand out throughout Mexico and at both borders, it was great.  I learned a LOT and would be glad to share with anyone planning that trip.  Feel free to email me at [email protected].  In a nutshell, bring your sense of adventure, your sense of humor, your patience, and as many songs on your iPod as it will hold!

I'm heading back down next week, planning to fly to Cancun and bus from there to see how that process works. (way cheaper than flying into Belize City). Mary, I want to come meet you this time-your son told me how to find you.  Anybody else going to be in San Ignacio/Bullet Tree during 3/9 - 3/15?

Sorry for being long-winded, I forgot a couple of things:

Raleigh, email me--I have sources for inexpensive little houses for rent in Bullet Tree as long as you don't mind them being a little rustic.

And, I am going to be looking for someone to stay on my property and keep it mowed, tend the baby trees, keep an eye on the house, etc. My thought is to purchase a small Menonite cabin and place it in a corner of the property.  All utilities are in place.  I would let one responsible person live there free, indefinitely.  It's an acre on the Mopan so they could have a garden, dog, etc.  I love my native Belizian friends but their sense of responsibility is a little different than mine ;)  Let me know if this is interesting to anyone.

Connie, I have never paid a bribe in the forty one years I have lived in Belize and I will not start, the minute you do you will keep having to pay bribes. Why were you asked for a bribe? This is a game played on un knowing strangers. Which son did you meet At Mr. Greedy`s? Belize can be a very cheap place to live, if you learn to eat local produce and eat fresh food not imported foods.

In Belize, the only bribes we were asked for were at the northern border crossing from Mexico. They have the red light/green light method of deciding whether to search your vehicle and possessions, and we were told that if we'd like to "leave $50 US with that guy over there, you won't get a red light.  Otherwise you will get a red light".  Other than that, it was just the 'agents' who want to help you for a price and the Mexicans.  Once inside Belize, everything was a big sigh of relief. It was Jonathan we met at the pizza parlor.  I asked my friends if the owner was there and they knew him.  By the way, that was the best pizza I've ever had and I've told everyone back home they haven't had the best pizza until they go to Mr. Greedys.  You may know Martin Velasquez-he works for Mayawalk, lives in Santa Elena, and did a lot of work on design and building of the Iguana sanctuary. I've not yet located a reasonable place to rent for March 9-14.  The two little houses I knew of both have occupants during those days.  Do you have availability or know of something affordable?

Connie, I sure hope your move has gone well. I have sent you an email in response your message.

Would love to hear also how the move has gone.  Thinking of coming to Belize this spring on an exploratory trip - we too are from the Reno area.

Hi all!

My long-term boyfriend and I are increasingly setting our sights on moving to Belize within the next two years. If not permanently, maybe just for 5 years or so. We are both professionals in the restaurant industry and are considering initially beginning work for the new luxury resorts in the Placencia area. He is a sous-chef currently and I am a sommeiler. If all things go well, we'd eventually like to open our own restaurant, and then later buy a small parcel of land near San Ignacio and do some small self-sustaining farming.

I have family in Belize City and Placencia, and have travelled the region extensively. I do not, however, know adequately the ins and outs of moving overseas, and to Belize especially. That's why I'm here! Just to begin, here's the basics:

1. We would be leaving most furniture and possessions here in the States in my parent's guest house, so we won't need to worry about moving. We would initially like to begin with renting a place with furniture if possible in the Placencia peninsula area. Does anyone have any information on how much to expect to pay on a monthly basis for rent for a 2 bed, 1 bath humble abode?

2. We do have a cat that we would like to bring with us. Does anyone have any tips on how to get a cuddly indoor domestic shorthair into Belize?

3. Does Belize offer work permits to individuals like us? If so, does anyone have any information about where to begin the application process?

4. We are setting a two-year timeframe on the move. Does anyone have any basic information on how much money we should estimate to save for a smooth move? We hope to purchase two one-way tickets, so I can approximate that being around $1200 US all together for luggage and all. We also plan around 3 months previous to the move at least one of us taking a flight down to get the rental arrangement and jobs squared away. From what I've briefly read I imagine we'd need to save around $1000 US for the needed work permits. Any things I should know when planning a budget that I wouldn't normally consider?

5. We wouldn't be bringing our vehicles, and will most likely sell one or both of them to get some money together. Is there a good way to go about leasing a car in Belize, and will they lease to an ex-pat like myself?

We are both very excited, but myself being the more practical and worrisome of the two, I will feel much more excited, at ease, and confident about making this move possible if I got some of the details nailed down!

I would love to hear what you knowledgeable people have to say on the subject, and I will be checking up often to look for more answers!

Thanks in advance!

Hey Crusin Camper, since the world didn't end you're going in!  I have not moved, however my house is complete as well as a small caretakers cabin I had put on the property. I have many tales to share, I'm actually considering writing a book called "Belize, you gotta be kidding me!"  I'd be happy to meet up with you, there is a lot to know and the more you know going in the more happy and safe you'll be.  Belize is not a country for the faint-of-heart but does have beauty and adventures you won't find elsewhere.   I'd be willing to rent the house or cabin, depending on availability, and hook you up with friends in the Cayo/Bullet Tree area. One great resource, Katz30, has a wonderful botique hotel in Bullet Tree that you should check out. You can email me at [email protected] if you want to exchange contact info.

I haven't been on this forum for a while...so I wanted to share a couple of "not so perfect" items in hopes they help someone else avoid the pitfalls I encountered.
--I said in an earlier post that my contractor, Ryan Gonzalez from Belize City (RG Gonzalez construction) seemed honest and capable. I was wrong and as a result have had many issues with the house he built for me as well as misappropriation of funds and misrepresentation of his work.  I would definitely not recommend this person.

--If you're going to have a house in Belize but not live there full time, you need a caretaker on property. You also need good visibility from the road or a neighbors house, and security lighting and door/window bars (a guard dog is best if you can work the logistics).  Quaint, secluded jungle houses will be burglarized. period. It's not so different than where most of us live today--If you're naive, you'll get an education.

Connie,
I will be getting in touch..... thanks for your honest evaluation of what has occurred.

Laurie
The Cruisin Camper

Connie, We have visited Belize many times and this complaint about the dishonest builders is the most often heard. I understand from Jonathan that they are requiring inspections now. Hopefully that will stop some of the problems with inferior work. I would love to talk with you.

My wife andI are currently having our house built on Ambergris Caye. Ten weeks in on a forty week build schedule and our experience thus far has been good.

Hopefully the research we conducted on building contractors before we appointed one will pay off. Time of course will tell.

http://www.abelizehomeforus.wordpress.com

Just wanted to comment that I believe you must have a round trip ticket if you fly into Belize.  With the restrictions the airlines now put on using the return part of the ticket, you may wind up not being able to use it at all.  We just bought the first set of RT tickets knowing we could not use the return.  After that we just bought RT tickets from Belize and back.  It was always so good to land at Goldson and know that I was "home".

Sadly, we had to move back to the States.  It was a wonderful experience living in Belize and I will always treasure it.  We lived in the Placencia area.  I miss having coffee in our dock gazebo over the ocean every morning. 

It is a beautiful country.  It is not cheap to live in Belize unless you want to live like a Belizian.  It cost a lot to live a "US lifestyle" there, i.e. drive a reasonably sized car (gas two years ago was $5 US a gallon), have an air conditioned house, and eat a mix of Belizian and US foods;  Large bag of Lay's potato chip could be $5-$6 US.  Everyone says they don't care about fast food, but the first stop when we went to Chetumal was McDonalds. Chicken is reasonable and good. Beef is dreadful.  Butt bacon is worth the trip, and load up on fry jack. If we had it to do over again, we would definitely do it!

Carolyn1 wrote:

Just wanted to comment that I believe you must have a round trip ticket if you fly into Belize.  With the restrictions the airlines now put on using the return part of the ticket, you may wind up not being able to use it at all.  We just bought the first set of RT tickets knowing we could not use the return.  After that we just bought RT tickets from Belize and back.  It was always so good to land at Goldson and know that I was "home".

Sadly, we had to move back to the States.  It was a wonderful experience living in Belize and I will always treasure it.  We lived in the Placencia area.  I miss having coffee in our dock gazebo over the ocean every morning. 

It is a beautiful country.  It is not cheap to live in Belize unless you want to live like a Belizian.  It cost a lot to live a "US lifestyle" there, i.e. drive a reasonably sized car (gas two years ago was $5 US a gallon), have an air conditioned house, and eat a mix of Belizian and US foods;  Large bag of Lay's potato chip could be $5-$6 US.  Everyone says they don't care about fast food, but the first stop when we went to Chetumal was McDonalds. Chicken is reasonable and good. Beef is dreadful.  Butt bacon is worth the trip, and load up on fry jack. If we had it to do over again, we would definitely do it!

Thanks for the input - I do want to live as simply as possible (although I draw the line on having hot water!) I dont care abouI getting premade stuff, I want to use the local fresh market place for food stuffs.  As far as beef goes, when I was in Australia a few years back - I can honestly say that was the absolute worst beef I have EVER had.  But loved the lamb, croc and kangaroo that we had.  So I will just have to adapt.  Thanks again.

Laurie and JP
The Cruisin Camper

I appreciate all the comments here. We are moving to Belize and will certainly post here so that others that might want to follow will be able to read.

I have heard about builders. My research indicates that getting a architect involved really helps to ensure quality. There are not all the laws in Belize that there is in North America / Europe. This is what makes it more attractive, but that means we must educate ourselves, and be responsible for ourselves more.

We are going to live in Belize while our house is built. This way we can watch the materials, progress, quality etc. Like other good contracts we are going to have specific milestones, with penalties, etc. We have seen several nice homes in Belize - so there are good builders.

Theft is an issue in all the Latin American countries from what we have heard. We traveled and researched a few. We expect to have dogs, fences, lighting, and people living there.

Our attraction to Belize includes the ability to grow and prepare our own food. This should help with the cost of living. Five Dollars a gallon for fuel, that may be expensive to people in the USA, but not to Canadians, or Europeans.  I don't see us needing to drive a lot, like we do in Canada, or when we live in Texas. Therefore I don't see that as a big cost.

There are some very good builders in Belize. The Loewens in the Placencia area are among the best.  I think they can also provide building serviced in the Cayo area.  But you would have to call and ask.  It is AL Construction.  They have a website.If they don't they can probably recommend someone honest and professional.  They are Mennonite and are completely honest in their business dealings.

We used an architect (Strukture Architects Limited) based in Belize City to prodcuce plans that we could issue to prospective building contractors to submit tenders based upon the requirements of the build.
Like you, we decided that the build would not commence until we were residiimg in Belize and now we are eleven weeks into our forty week build programme.
We are recording the build in a blog:
http://www.abelizehomeforus.wordpress.com

First time on this blog. My husband, myself & our 10 year old daughter are looking at relocating to Belize. We are looking for a simpler life. We currently live in the US. We are looking for pro & cons on where to live, work, safety, buying an existing business or starting one, schools vs. homeschooling, etc. any advice would be great! Books, websites, etc. I have been reading previous posts and noticed a lot of issues with contractors. We currently have a decorative concrete & general contracting company so how hard would it be to start one in Belize. Thanks