Lots of questions concerning my move from USA to CR.

Hi, Folks of northern CR.

I am “DONISTON”,  an old man who has never been to CR, but have done a great deal of  study about it. And also knew a man (a good friend) who had some relative importance there in the mid fifties. ( Ref: RIO “Mista DICK”)

GRANTED:  as  I am a complete NEWBY. you may consider this a complete fantacy, however, that is why I am writing this. I would like to know if my dream is a possibility, and would like your imput.  TO WIT:

I have a permanent income of about $1800 per month, and  a few thousand backup.  Am single, in relatively good health, with two Chihuahuas, as children.

I would like to move to the beach,  near  LIMON, and for my own private reasons, or perhaps near one of the two rivers, about 12miles south.  I would then like to rent or lease a reasonable house, and land where I could have a large fenced in garden,  and some food animals. As for getting there: 

I would be driving from the US in a all wheel wagon, or 4x4 pickup and pulling a 5x8 loaded trailer.  I have been informed that I can  go thru Mexico and the {four countries) as tho it was freight. Then arriving in CR  it would be treated as household goods.  I would also be checking into  permanent residency.

To your knowledge, is any of the above inaccurate?

----- Other questions and concerns: 
     *I understand that Medical care is fairly sparce in that area but is relatively available in the south
    *are the roads,good, bad. Or ????
    * .How about internet, water, electricity, gas,?
    *  and is there anything out of the ordinary regarding vehicles.?
Thanks loads for any help you can give

Don K  (Doniston)

Whatever vehicle you drive here in, you will have to pay many $$$$'s duty on both the car truck and the trailer, which will depend on what year they are.
This website will also provide info on residency . and you start off by applying for temporary residency at a cost of approx $2000, then when entering your fourth year, you can apply for Permanent residency.
Your dogs will require papers from their vet and the necessary shots.
Renting near the beach could cost more. As for internet, that will depend on whether or not there is a land line or cable available else you may use Kolbi 3- 4g or one of the other mobile companies but until you have residency the fees for this are a lot higher than as a resident and residency can take over a year. Last I heard there was a 3 year wait list for phone lines, in that area.
Roads in CR vary throughout the country...as does public healthcare. Private care  which many expats prefer, can be accessed in the Central Valley.
You will have to keep some good guard dogs, other than your Chihuahuas, to prevent your animals from 'disappearing...'

Any of you living in the actual Limon area?  Thanks

No...but have often visited with friends there, before they left the area
There are many more 'visitors' on this forum, than actual residents so you may not get many responses.

Limon ?  A brave man.  All the best of luck to you.

visitors are good, at least they have been there.   

TO EDWARD 1958  That's true, but according to you, what would be the danger?

Sorry, I meant 'visitors' to the forum, and most have not been  to the country and are just asking for information like you are.

I love the music that can be found in the Limon area, but the area is not safe enough for me.  In one hotel everyone was taken out of their rooms and robbed.  Since the collapse of the banana industry, many people of Jamaican ancestry in Limon were left jobless, and the crime rate increased.  Anyone who has a home in that area "must" have a home sitter during the rainy season, as it would surely be stripped if left alone.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxbNWAzSdxg

This is the night culture in that small town of Limon.  Not exactly what you'd expose your family to.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQDuNaamugM

Just one more video which is very informative....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTB94uSvXZE

I just watched that video,  The speaker looks js like me with one big difference,  He's Black.  I'm caucasion.  doesn't matter to me, three of my great grand children and mixed race.

to kolearts:  durn!!!! Heh heh

Race does not matter in any way.  If you can fit into the culture in the Limon area "all the best to you".  I spoke to a Canadian couple who home sitted in the Limon area, and they said they were fighting off the invaders at least twice a week, it was frightening for them.  During the rainy season it's like "open season" for invading Gringo homes in the Limon area.  As I said, you are a tougher person than I am, and I wish you the best of luck.  This is a warning which was published about visiting Limon.      http://costarica.usembassy.gov/messages … vince.html

Thank you for the warning, I will check it out, However that was published almost two years ago/  I wonder if it is still the same, or better, or worse.  Most  of the advice is sensible anyway.  Although have traveled by myself, in south Chicago, at night.

Costa Rica is a fantastic country which is much safer than the US.  There is not much gun crime in CR, but there is a lot of petty theft, even a monkey had stolen my rake last week.  There are some areas of Costa Rica which are much more problematic than others.  If you only need six months of each year in a safe gated community just south of Jaco let me know.  I actually know of a free home for six months in each of the next five years.  All the best to you.
bejucoman(at)yahoo.com

I am not that familiar with Limon but there used to be a couple peole here from the Caribe side of Costa Rica.
$1800/month is plenty for a man with 2 Chihuahuas imho.
The problem may be that you will need $ for the import fees of the car and household goods, and for residency fees (attorney fees).

Why Limon? It is considered one of the least safe, most crime-ridden areas of Costa Rica. There are other towns on the east coast that would be safer I think.

Personally driving down through Mexico and Guatemala and so on would scare the bejeesus out of me. Do NOT drive at night if you do! You may end up with an empty trailer or worse.

I am not trying to discourage you, just giving you some warnings of what you might expect and what to watch out for. Do your due diligence re driving through the various countries and how to avoid problems, then do some research on the cost of import taxes. As I understand it the CR government charges something like 40-50% of the bluebook value of your car when you bring it in. Don't quote me, I'm no expert on it, but that's what I was recently told by someone who I think knows.

Hello Samramon,

We should not be afraid to tell the truth about Limon, and that the dangers that exist there is because of the Jamaican culture, which even the government in Costa Rica admits.  It's the same in Canada, where 95% of all gun related crimes in Toronto were due to Caribbean immigration.

Sam  Ramon, :whistle:  you have been listening to some wrong information regarding how much and how the value  of an imported vehicle is determined. especially if the vehicle is more than 3 years old.  The cost of insurance and shipping fees are also part of this equation.
Also check out the Costa Rica version of the Blue Book value.

kohlerias wrote:

Sam  Ramon, :whistle:  you have been listening to some wrong information regarding how much and how the value  of an imported vehicle is determined. especially if the vehicle is more than 3 years old.  The cost of insurance and shipping fees are also part of this equation.
Also check out the Costa Rica version of the Blue Book value.

Thanks much kohlerias! That's why forums are good - to share info and in that sharing, sometimes the truth comes out. That's why I often say "I'm no expert but..." when writing stuff I'm not 100% sure about.
I heard this from someone who has lived in  Costa Rica for many years, her husband is a businessman down there and so I figured they'd have good info. But I always try to get to a good source such as you have provided before feeling sure.
I'll definitely check out your links! Thanks!

You can buy a brand new Suzuki Alto in San Jose for about $13,000
Standard transmission, AC, and a one liter engine that give good mileage.
We've climbed the steepest of roads with it.  It's nice to have the warranty, as Suzuki
stand behind their warranties.

Edward1958 wrote:

You can buy a brand new Suzuki Alto in San Jose for about $13,000
Standard transmission, AC, and a one liter engine that give good mileage.
We've climbed the steepest of roads with it.  It's nice to have the warranty, as Suzuki
stand behind their warranties.

That's great IF you have $13k to spend on a car.
We're trying to get something for $8k and trying to decide to bring in a $4-5k car and pay the import fees OR spend $8k there. Either way I understand we won't be having a great car...

Be careful when going through Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador. Your chihuahuas wont' be able to protect you from the bad "bulldogs" on those countries.