Abandoned by Egyptian Husband

Hello everyone,
I got married in Egypt many years ago to an Egyptian man; he is Muslim and I am a Christian, he could not get the visa to come live with me in the USA.  Eventually he disappeared and abandoned me completely, I have no way to contact him... I just need my divorce paper... I am told by some people that I could remarry here in the USA without divorcing him in Egypt... that USA would not know if I married him in Egypt... but I married him at the city hall and I have a marriage certificate with our both pictures on it...I want to do things right, I think I need to come to Egypt and divorce him by Khul
Does anyone know anything about this situation....I heard that he married someone else and has a new family in Egypt, but will not give me my divorce, although I don't need any money from him....
Any help is appreciated.... thank you

Hi

Sorry to hear that from u …. But I want to tell u some notes :

1-    sure … if u want to things right … u should come to Egypt & get divorced ( khul ) by the Egyptian ' s family court here …. And u had to be here in Egypt by ur self ( not by some1 with power attorney from u ) to do this procedure  …. Cos the court will here ur demands at the first phase of the trial from ur mouth …. After this step u can go back & the lawyer continue the trail till have a divorce for u .
2-    you will need a good Egyptian lawyer speaking English to communicate with u … review the document that u have & follow the procedures for u .
3-    if u don't speak Arabic clearly the court will hire for u a registered interpreter to translate ur claims to the court …. And this step will cost u some more money
4-    also cos u r foreigner the court will hire for u an arbitrator from ( al azhar ) to offer the reconciliation between u & ur husband  … this an essential & formal procedure by the law … this step will cost some money too .
5-    as u say that u don't know where is ur Egyptian husband right now … this will be a complicated point … but any cleaver lawyer will can solved with some procedures & some money too .

any way that what I can say for ur situation right now …. Hope that i was helping for u ……. And if u need more help …. Just inbox me & u r welcome all the time

best regards

Thank you for your response ... I appreciate the help ....but it seems like a lenghty process ....on the net I read that it would be easier since I am American and I didn't need a lawyer....again thank you for the info.....I will research mote....

Dear go on and forget about it marriage is not a paper

Have fun enjoy ur life he does not deserve ur time

Hello thank you for your response yes I certainly moved on with my life but if I want to marry someone else I need the divorce since I have a certificate of marriage with him.....this is my only concern ....tks again for help

You don't need to divorce him.. And I certainly wouldn't spend one penny trying to either.. It's all about the money in Egypt

Thank you for your response. ..  yes for sure is not worth spending any money. ... but I need the divorce for me.

Hello troubledmarriage,

There is absolutely no need for you to go to divorce your husband in Egypt if you are residing in the United States and don't intend to return to Egypt.

You have the legal right to bring on an ex parte divorce proceeding in your home jurisdiction based on abandonment. This action will judicially dissolve your marriage. It will not have legal force in Egypt unless their judicial system has a mechanism for recognizing foreign divorce orders. That should be of absolutely no concern to you however if you don't intend to return to Egypt at some point in the future.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you for your response ....I have to tell you that I tried to divorce him here but it will cost me a fortune based on the abandonment ....it's really complicated ... and I think it may cost less to personally travel to Cairo and divorce him by the Khula law. . . It's really unfortunate that some men could be so unconsiderate for others.....tks for your help, I really appreciate it

Have you sought a second opinion from another lawyer? It should cost you no more for an ex parte divorce because of abandonment even given that the marriage took place in Egypt, than it should for any other ex parte divorce.

I think you should really consult another lawyer who specializes in family law. Sounds like the one you've got now only sees dollar signs.

A US divorce will free you to marry again in the future, should you choose to do so at some point. (but not in Egypt unless the Divorce Order is ultimately registered with their judicial system). I don't see how return air fares, accommodations, meals, legal fees, etc., etc., is going to be any cheaper than a "home grown" divorce. Sounds all pretty strange to me.

Cheers,
James

I have some friends in Egypt ....a lot of the lawyers would not even get involved in this kind of Divorce to my surprise as well....... :((( I called many lawyers nobody wanted to take my case because I was married in Egypt and my ex husband is nowhere to be found.... although I know he lives in Cairo

Typical of lawyers; they hate ex parte divorces, because there are not two parties directly involved in the action. That means they can't pit the two sides against each other and drive up their fees. They traditionally love hotly contested divorces where there are plenty of assets being squabbled over. These are generally the kind of cases where they can create a pitch battle between the parties, that draws things out in the courts. Guess who winds up with the lion's share of the assets that are being fought over? You got it..... the lawyers do!

Perhaps you should contact a few of the women's groups in your city and see if any of them provide referrals to legal services for divorces. Your case would really be quite straight forward, just a quick divorce, not division of assets, no custody and visitation considerations (I presume). Really it looks like something that you could almost handle yourself if that were permitted... that's exactly why the lawyers you've spoken to don't want to touch it; there's no money in it for them.   :lol:

Yes for sure. ....thanks for the advice....yeah it looks like it...:))))

hi

U r welcome …. Yaaa …It is kind of  lengthy process between 1 to 1 & half …but u don't need to be here more than the first 2 months of the trial & ur lawyer can follow the procedure for the last steps …… in Egypt there is no different between Egyptians or foreigners front of the law or authorities … all people inside the country should comply with the rules & laws with just little exceptions for the diplomatic issues ….. so what u read is totally wrong ….. u don't need a lawyer ? …. I don't know …but if u know the Egyptian's family law …procedures …how to file ur divorce in the right way … etc …. So u don't have to do hire a lawyer .

As many friends saying to u … if u can forget about .. so that is the option no 1 for u

wish luck

p.s

you all guys r measures the Egyptian's legal system on the others legal systems outsides Egypt … there is a huge different between the to sides .

Right the laws are very different .....completely Egypt's family laws are like ftom another planet....no offense. ..I still love Egypt and I always will...tks I appreciate it. .....

sure we r from another planet ....... cos our Egyptian's ancestors teach the world ... what is the meaning of .... rights ...good... justice ... enlightenment ... fairness .... etc .... & ... if u dont know !!! .... so open the books ... to see what is the meaning of egypt . 

thx ... for ur offense ........ that teach me a good lesson too ... ( looking for who speaking with & then talk ) .

al rowaad wrote:

….. so what u read is totally wrong ….. u don't need a lawyer ? ….

As many friends saying to u … if u can forget about .. so that is the option no 1 for u

Nobody on this topic thread has said anything about the Egyptian judicial system, so I really don't know where you're getting that idea from. What is being said here is that unless she intends to return to Egypt to live at some point in the future there is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED WHATSOEVER for her to obtain a divorce in Egypt.

In the United States of America she has the legal right to obtain a divorce from her Egyptian husband. That judicially dissolves the marriage and frees her to marry anywhere in the world, except in Egypt unless the US Divorce Order is registered in Egypt.

To my way of thinking it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for her to go to all the expenses of traveling to Egypt, paying air fares, accommodations, meals, misc. expenses, legal fees, etc. if she's going to have to stay there for a few months in order to obtain a divorce. She can obtain an ex parte divorce in her hometown with minimal expenses and under the circumstances she has related the divorce would likely be granted on the same day the petition was heard by a judge. Another advantage of divorcing in the USA is that she would not be burdened by a set of overly rigid laws based mostly on a religion that is not hers. In the USA there is a distinct separation of church and state, the laws have no foundation in religious dogmas,

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

It is true .....we are from another planet too to others I am sure. . .   But this are differences of the culture and customs     no offense there.....don't get so defensive ... everyone is free to express how they feel.....

Thank you James :) .... I guess I have to find a way...there is no way to divorce him in the states without becoming bankrupt ..lol...:))))).. ..I have no idea why they are so strict and the courts give rights to the people that just abandon their spouse.....but it's just the way it is.... I have to solve it on ny own ....it is also a matter of principle ....I refuse to have any ties even just on paper to a man like that .... so deceitful like my Ex... .I will get rid of this paper of marriage to him no matter what.. ..tks

Dear :
first of all try to find a private investigator here in egypt to find him ,then every thing will be ok to get your divorce paper it is the better solution

"Private investigator"? What do you mean?

He just disappeared or just refused to give you the paper? Did he say he divorced you? if so you could probably get a copy of it somehow.

hi job to find people ,hire him ,give him the details what you have about your husband ,he will find him and let him divorce you even he is hiding in any place in egypt or outside it

Salam sister,
I am an American living in Egypt .
I would suggest contacting a lawyer and having him file the divorce . it should be easy . as for not needing any money from him...girl if you listed a dowry on the maraige contract get what he owes you and as for more then that you can prove he used you to get a visa and that is illegal so I would claim that the divorce is due to that which makes him at fault and you could get some alimony probably won't be much but who cares lol I see this way too often Egyptians are notorious for using woman and they easily get away with it . I know from experience . thankfully I have found a good husband he is Iraqi not as romantic as Egyptians but at least they are honest! Good luck!