Can I afford, or not afford, that is the question...

Hello,

I am a twenty-two year old almost college graduate who is looking for internships with NGOs in Uganda. One organization I came across sounds great, but they do not give a monthly stipend. Instead, they cover all housing and work related expenses and week-day meals.

Basically, I would be left on my own for 'fun money,' money for food, and potentially cell phone costs (however, I am not worried about cell phone costs because I would plan on buying a simple model phone and pay as I go through MTN cards like I did when I lived in Ghana). The organization says I should plan on 300 USD a month for food, but that seems a bit steep for me considering this position doesn't have a stipend or any compensation. I'm someone who would like to eat out (nothing too fancy) for dinner 2-3 times a week, spend one night a week getting a couple of beers, and then try to cook at home the rest of the time. I also don't really eat breakfast, maybe just a piece of fruit or bread.

So, whatcha think, ex-pats, how much am I looking at per month for food!? AKA can I afford to take an internship that doesn't provide all meals or give me a stipend....

Thanks!

Hello, am  billy in Kampala around Ntinda, i can help you and thats enough to keep you fine, i will help you where you need help...dont you worry.....keep in touch

intoafrica wrote:

Hello,

I am a twenty-two year old almost college graduate who is looking for internships with NGOs in Uganda. One organization I came across sounds great, but they do not give a monthly stipend. Instead, they cover all housing and work related expenses and week-day meals.

Basically, I would be left on my own for 'fun money,' money for food, and potentially cell phone costs (however, I am not worried about cell phone costs because I would plan on buying a simple model phone and pay as I go through MTN cards like I did when I lived in Ghana). The organization says I should plan on 300 USD a month for food, but that seems a bit steep for me considering this position doesn't have a stipend or any compensation. I'm someone who would like to eat out (nothing too fancy) for dinner 2-3 times a week, spend one night a week getting a couple of beers, and then try to cook at home the rest of the time. I also don't really eat breakfast, maybe just a piece of fruit or bread.

So, whatcha think, ex-pats, how much am I looking at per month for food!? AKA can I afford to take an internship that doesn't provide all meals or give me a stipend....

Thanks!

Welcome to EB... :) 

I suggest that you check out this website for cost of living www.numbeo.com

I also suggest that you consider a medical insurance cover or ask the NGO if they will cover medical expenses if you get sick.  Do not consider travel insurance as the cover is limited to travelers and does not cover many things.

hello living in Uganda is very cheap.so you shouldn't worry alot because food here are very cheap hence affordable and it had also a variety of beers at different prices right from 10$ above. [Moderated: Please do not share any contact number on the forum]

Hi i was recently there and from  my impression about your life style , it wouldn be that easy to  immediately live without stuff like  internet for networking purposes, Android phone,  transport is quite pricey and  dont underestimate the cultural differences that would take afew  weeks or months to really get to find out where cheap stuff can be found. I dont know what country you are living in but would suggest that you plan around 500  British pounds at least for the first
3 months ...as in each month   before you get warmed up with whats going on.Food and going out is alittle  expensive as you wouldnt want to immediately go to some market .You culd comfortably estimate around 15 to 20 pounds. Then thsi reduces with  the length of your stay there. Let me know  whne you need any  more info!