ELECTRICAL OUTLETS NOT GROUNDED! WHAT TO DO????

Hi all, this is my third post since I arrived to Riyadh quite recently.

I am renting a nice apt. The 4-story building is about 3 to 5 years old at most, but I am the very first one renting this apartment (I believe all the tenants are newly arrived, probably this year).
So yes, it's a brand new building. I just discovered that all electrical outlets in my apt (110 and 220 volts) are not grounded to earth. Yes, the 220 volt outlets have three prongs (live, neutral and earth), but there is no cable connected to the ground prong.

What can I do? This is a risky situation. All the appliances must be grounded (electrical stove, fridge, microwave oven, computer, ampliifiyer and electric guitar, electrical keyboard).

I need your advice on how to deal with the landlord to install ground wiring. Is it not required by law in S.A.? I will appreciate all your opinions/comments.

Max

Al-Max,

I work in the construction sector and I can tell you that there are many buildings that are not "grounded" in the middle east. Short of rewiring the building there is not much you can do.

I am curiuos to know how you found this out and are you certain that the third socket has no cable connected to it or are you implying the building has no prong connected into the gorund. Another thing to check for is if there is an earth leakage circuit breaker.

Its nothing new in the mid-east. Even other civil engineering standards, viz plumbing, tiling, sanitary fittings in the toilets, etc do not conform to any standard. How often do you see toilets in apartment blocks where the door opens inside to hit the wash basin or even the toilet seat? Water pumps are located in all odd corners of the building entrances and exits. Electrical wiring hang from building to building without any safety. Unless the authorities mandate a basic standard which will be monitired strictly we may never see any progress in this direction.

Thanks Musicman and bhills for the answers. Well, I decided to investigate, and unscrewed the outlets of the whole apartment. The answer is unequivocal. Absolutely no presence of any ground wire, all the earth prungs have no wire at all. Now, whether this is for the whole building I don't know. I am now scared to touch even the mains box that contains all the switches and the global interruptor, because I think that is not grounded either (but I'm not sure because I did not go inside, too many cables, too much risk).

My question is therefore unanswered: Maybe in saudi Arabia there is no such thing like a "security electrical code" ?  How many of you guys know that your system is grounded? Have you checked it? Maybe you should not trust it too much.

I hope somebody knowledgeable in this matter could shed some light. Especially in the legal issues. If the landlord refuses to ground up the system, is there any place where I could submit a protest or complaint? The worst case I see is to pay an electrician to do the job. How much would it cost? Thanks for posting. I appreciate it.

Max

Check with an electrician, but I think Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker's are designed for detecting and leakage of current and therefore trip the power. Hence if the current passes through you, the power should trip.

If you have one of these installed it does not negate your problem it just provides some comfort.

The circuit breaker will trip incase the load changes (a short, heavy usages, or whatever). So don't worry about that.

What is your biggest fear? Your items burning out (yes, that will happen if there is a storm).

You getting electrified? That will happen.

Your house catching on fire? That won't happen. Buildings here are made of concrete. Only your carpet will catch fire, or curtains. The walls and floors never will. They're solid concrete.

As for who to complain. The landlord won't care. If you don't like it, leave. That will be his attitude. And if you decide to get an electrician. You'll probably pay a good penny for a half-ass unprofessional, jacked up job. Just rigged out of his ass.

The solution. Don't stress about it too much. Your stuff will work and if you're scared of them burning out. Buy a surge protector for the important stuff or unplug what you really care about.

TV's and receivers are most volatile.  Fridges, Stoves, and A/C can handle most surges. And the surges that do happen here are very few.

There is usually not an earth or neutral in the 220v sockets as they use 2 live wires (1 ph) of the 380v to give this.

The 110v sockets should have a neutral which can sometimes be used as an earth depending if it has been clamped to the metal shielding around the incoming mains cable to the building.

If you are that worried then you have a few options:

1. Move
2. Get a gas oven
3. Only use plastic cased double insulated electrical items, shown by the symbol of a square within a square on the label.

I admit I know nothing about this.. but couldn't he just always wear rubber gloves? lol

You should always wear rubber :P

Nelson17 wrote:

You should always wear rubber :P

ON HIS HANDS!!

:lol:

I have this electrical plug socket under the geyser near the Shower Rose and I just think its safe if the other person is wearing the rubber.

Sorry Sparrow, I think that you have gone off topic there. Or perhaps I have misconstrued :gloria.
What am I to think? :shy

Thanks beezer and nelson for your comments.

Definitely it's my safety that I'm concerned, not the building or items. I haven't spoken to the landlord yet, so I will post whatever he answers.

Yes, searching for alternatives I found a possible option: the "Ground-fault circuit interrupter" or GFCI, which I could use in case of no ground. Very interesting option. It can help in absence of ground connection, but best is of course with grounding.

Don't know why beezer has poor opinion on electricians in this country. Is it for some bad experience you have had? I agree that electricians omitting grounding in a building tells a lot about their formation/education (or lack of it).

Sorry nelson, I wouldn't like cooking or playing guitar with thick isolation gloves, lol.

So, my final question: is there Safe Electric Code in SA? the answer seems so far "no", I guess.... Anybody disagrees?

Max

Al-Max wrote:

Don't know why beezer has poor opinion on electricians in this country. Is it for some bad experience you have had? I agree that electricians omitting grounding in a building tells a lot about their formation/education (or lack of it).

My experience with electricians here has been basically Indian handymen who patch things up for the moment and have to return week after week. My theory is that by never really fixing anything, they ensure their jobs (just a theory ;) ).

And btw, I was the one who suggested rubber gloves!!!!!!  Hadn't considered an electric guitar, though, I must admit :lol:

Well, let me just say WELCOME TO THE KINGDOM WORLD. :lol:
Thanks for the electricity updating, I didn't know it was too risky till now.

Ramon,

Alliecat,
Sorry for not giving you the due credits for that genial idea ;-) I have now officially corrected that error and nelson probably should agree. Anyway, I am learning a great deal about the "electricians" in this country. Thanks kittie. hummm, shocking...
To Ramon: are you from Saudi Arabia? If so, where is the nearest King's office, to whom I wish to send a letter respectfully informing him of the absence of electrical safety code in his country (supposing that expats can do that)? Anyway, I'm glad that I am improving the awareness of people. Keep posting, please, thanks.

Max

Al-Max wrote:

Alliecat,
Sorry for not giving you the due credits for that genial idea ;-) I have now officially corrected that error and nelson probably should agree. Anyway, I am learning a great deal about the "electricians" in this country. Thanks kittie. hummm, shocking...
Max

Thanks for the acknowledgement, Maxie :lol:

Can you people check if your outlets (220V) where you live have grounding to earth? I would like to start gathering information for statistical record. seriously, maybe it is a good idea, and do not trust blindly your electrical installation.

Please post your result, I'd appreciate (make sure to cut the power before, just to be safe). Thanks.

Max

Update: I just learned from someone (not exactly an electrician) that grounding of some appliances is done through the Neutral wire. In some countries (USA & Canada) this practice is now unlawful (it was used to save copper wire up to the 60s!). My range is "grounded" through the neutral wire for example. Clearly, in Saudi Arabia is a "no problem" issue... :-6

Max

Al-Max wrote:

Can you people check if your outlets (220V) where you live have grounding to earth? I would like to start gathering information for statistical record. seriously, maybe it is a good idea, and do not trust blindly your electrical installation.

Please post your result, I'd appreciate (make sure to cut the power before, just to be safe). Thanks.

Max

I've lived in several places in KSA, from 25 years old to brand new.  None, I repeat none of them have been grounded. 

Unless you are willing to run your own ground wire outside...live with it.  Chances are you aren't going to find a grounded circuit.

As far as grounding through the "neutral" wire...that's the ground wire, the other two run positive or negative, not neutral.  Methinks someone is blowing hot air your way.

Welcome to the KSA.  It's not home.  It never will be.