What is so special about Cabarete & Sosua that most expat settle there

I have this curiosity since I went there once, while on vacation and It didn't impress me.
I must admit that the place is gorgeous in terms of Wilderness. I have spent some time in the mountains with some friends when I returned to the Island and it was quite amazing getting to know the country side.

For some it is paradise.  For me it it not.   It is all about what fits you. For anyone who loves those water sports its going to be awesome..............   

I prefer a more Dominican experience, sounds like you do too.

What draws many are; the beaches, mix of tourists, locals and expats, activities, beauty of the  country side and a very large and deversified expat population.

Bob K

I live in Cabarete and Sosua is completely different than here, even though we are neighbors. Cabarete is amazing for watersports and if you are not into that, you will probably find it boring or relaxing, depending on your personality. We have world class conditions for kiteboarding, surfing, windsurfing, and SUP. It's almost a 365 day a year thing. There are few places in the world where you can have all of that within 5 minutes, with cheap public transportation, warm water, and lodging so close to all of the spots. For all of these reasons a certain vibe exists which is a mix of languages and cultures from all over the world, but that is connected by the love of the water and watersports. My favorite thing is living amongst the locals and mingling with millionaires all at the same time. Everyone is on the same level because we are in board shorts. Also, there is a beautiful countryside that is awesomely fun for mountain biking and dirt biking.

*Be sure to not get all interwebz on me and pick apart what I just said. This is not directed at anyone specifically, but I know how the internet can get.

You did an amazing description about the place! :)

Even though I love to watch the water sports events and take good pictures of it (I'm a photographer), I wouldn't choose Cabarete or Sosua to live.

Thanks for sharing your point of view about this subject. You are always welcome to comment!

Cheers :)

What would be your choice DrTuttle? Just curious :cool:

D.R. has 32 provinces, therefore I have many choices :)

Good luck to you drtuttle in one of the other DR provinces.  We like our little provinces here on the North Coast and maybe you can visit sometime:)

What Are your top 5 if you had to choose :cool: Since the North Coast is not your thing. I love the North Coast because it is not cluttered with concrete and there is lot of open space, plus who cam deny the beautiful beaches and water falls......lets not forget the rivers and lagoons. If you are not into water sports or enjoy those activities, it could seem boring, but in my opinion, the north coast has a nice mix on nature, modern, and history. One stop shopping.

hey guys ! just wondering.. my hubby loves fishing and he is wondering if it is possible to do surf-casting fishing on the North Coast  .. but any kind of fishing will do actually..

Thank you, I definitely will visit :)

The nice thing about this country is the diversity,  and its not so big that going from one side to the other is no big deal.  I love the north coast and lived there for 7 years. For work  issues -  other areas suit me much better.  Unfortunately there is not much going on work wise on the north coast.

The north coast is a nice mixture . Cabarete is extremely rare in that you have restaurants and Bars directly on the beach ! This is very Rare ,and you have a choice paying high end prices  or beer budget prices . Also astracyati Adeptly clarified there is also hardly a place on the planet wher surfers, kite ,board and wind surfers can achieve their love so close together ( within a few miles ) . Also an airport is 30 min away from it so you can hop a plane and be back to US or CAnada , within a few hours ( for many a direct flight too )OH IF YOU LIVE close to beach you receive brezees all afternoon up to about 6 ish ...... So you have the comfort of not having to be locked in to airconditioning , ( a huge plus ) like almost all other tropical destinations ! Next when the hurricane season comes , Cabarete and the north coast are very insulated from it , and aside from from heavy rains and winds  escape the south side of the islands more turbalent weather pattern ! Cabarete satisfies the Illusion of paridise Visually day by day , as almost most of the time , you have beautiful sunshine a lovey breezes with palms waving to you in any direction you venture. It also has an Eclectic group of personality disorders so if you are into phsycology , you will never be bored . There are large grocery stores from 30 min to an hour and half to get almost most specialty items if this  is desired! If you break down , you will have a half a dozen Dominicans pulling over to assist you , and for a few pesos have your solution well on its way , ( if u are wise) ... SOSUA , on the other hand is a much different animal .. Cabarete attracts many health conscious individuals too ... You can stiil afford to live here , as opposed to most other Caribbean islands where the wealthy have escalated prices to make it their back yard .....CABARETE is unique , like Boracay , In southeast Asia, not much different until you pull out a magnifying glass and look a little closer ( living full time there 12 yrs qualifies me to comment  only ).  PS .. Work is as rare as hens teeth , so u really need some solid financing to survive or enjoy the fruits here , as oppose to a decade previous when you could easily find a way to have this slice of Paridise, at your command for some paultry pesos ! relax.   HEY JOE

I have worked in Sosua as a hotel manager in 2013 for a few months. Been back many times and really want to move there. I love Cabarete. Does anyone know where and how to find a good job there ? I currently live in Amsterdam. Work in finance at one of the largest banks in Holland and have experience in sales and hospitality.
Thanks in advance

Bas, welcome. 

Do you have your residency and cedula from your job in 20113 ?  You will need them to work here legally and at this point is it getting harder to find jobs with out them.

Bob K

Almost impossible to find  meaningful work without the cedula now.  Almost no employers are taking the chance.  IF you need a work sponsor, then you need to get that started now.

By the way,  many hotels and resorts are doing NOTHING now but  as soon as high season is over, they will start to think about needed changes.  Usually those happen before  October / November so your timing to be looking is fast approaching!

And most will be laying off workers for the low season about to begin

Bob K

It sure seems difficult
How did everybody else do it ?
Or have rules changed a lot ?

Rules and laws are just getting harder to get around.  So more places are actually following the law these days. Not saying it can't be done but needs to be done legally (with your cedula)

Bob K

Hello Bas

If you are lucky enough to have Dominican friends willing to help you, they certainly will. If not, explore the alternatives available and you will find a way. If others have done it and succeed, why you won't ?

Good luck with that.

You will  NEED determination ,a few make it , dozens and dozens DONT! Rob your bank.  They rob us ! Bring Cash! (Just a suggestion )LOL

Wimbleton the best way to leave the DR with a million dollars is to arrive with two million :D

Bob K

:):):)

Old saws are blunt......................& to the point.

i am not sure what is so special about it.. I am not really considered a expat because my husband and I have a strong family base here and we grew up here for the majority of our lives..

I wouldn't want to live around expats because that means the prices of everything will be more expiensive.... We brought a house in Bayaguana where our family is from...

Actually we do most of our shopping where the local Dominicans do so prices not so bad and we avoid at all costs tourist restaurants and such

Bob K

as I find nothing that interesting in Sosua and Cabarete - for me it is overrated. I may see few reasons why they go there:
- because it is famous, and somebody told them or they red something about it - so it is a lemming- like rush ;-)
- because they hope that they will be among other expats from their countries who speak the same languages
- because they like prostitutes in Sosua, and if you are really into that, that is one of the best places to to be in DR ;-))
- because they love watersports and they are in Cabarete for that.
- because they may appreciate decent infrastructure like hotels, restaurants, bars, markets in Sosua - and that was main reason why I was staying there for few weeks ;-)

HI
we are Canadian couple looking to retire soon in DR north coast but since you mention Boracay that i been there and it is my haven i really love it
am looking to get more info about cost living in Cabarete  . like rent food ... will cook at home and buy localy
thks

Both are overcrowded, overpriced gringo tourist traps. Sosua known for having the the most aggressive and arrogant street hookers, and Canarete for surf kids..

Please don't take some people's comments on these forum topics as gospel. Differences of opinion, differences in experience, and differing outlooks on life in general color people's views.

I live on the south coast in Casa de Campo. I spent several winters in Cabarete but chose the south coast because of easy access to Saona Island, Punta Cana, Juan Dolio and the capital. Also having easy access to the Coral Hwy makes travel effortless. I am not encountering many Canadians down here. Lots of Europeans and American.....

As always one size does not fit everyone!  Find your paradise based on your needs and wants.

When I first visited many years back, Cabarete seemed a great venue. Now having travelled widely in DR, it would not come into my reckoning for a short vacation away from the capital. Too many better choices imo.

I am new to the forum and visiting the area in December for 10 days, with the intention of moving in 5 years. I was wondering if there is a social calendar or something for North American expats? I do want to experience the culture of the area and learn the language, however it would be comforting to get to know people who have transitioned and learn from them. Of course joining this forum is helpful, but it would be great to meet people in person...

Welcome to the forums.  There is no real calendar for this type of thing. When we plan a get together it gets posted on the forums. 

In December you will find lots and lots of expats in the area!