Dominican Republic Long Stay / Residence Visa

Good evening

Originally from Ireland and now living in London, I'm an entrepreneur and want to take a break from business. I'm well travelled and have been to many countries around the world.

I would like to know more information regarding obtaining a visa for long term residency (2-5 years) in Dominican Republic.

I'm basically looking to venture overseas for a few years (maybe 2-5) to experience a complete change and see where it takes me.

My plans are to rent a property and purchase after about 1 year. I am not 100% sure which country I will choose due to visa restrictions in some countries ect,,,

I will be posting some more topics regarding visa's for other countries as like I said I'm not 100% sure where I will choose.

Thanks!

Just show up and check it out first. You don't have to worry about any visa really. Whatever time you overstay you pay a reasonable fee and all is good :) If you like the place then you can worry about a long term visa.

Check out the requirements to retire in D.R. looks pretty good and you can do it at almost any age. Google it. Many nice places. I personally enjoy the region called el Cibao.  It is comprised of about 14 provinces sort of like counties. Beaches, cities, mountains, towns, villages and the like. Come visit the view is outstanding and the natives are pretty friendly and gracious. Immerse yourself in the culture and learn Spanish. D.R. in many respects is not your average 3rd World country. Do your due diligence as to researching the lay of the land and take a leap of faith. You might just like it. Go slow and appreciate your situation. Be good..

There's not a D.R. consulate in London?

Welcome to the forum.  There is a lot of informatin on residency  here just look at the  multiple threads.

Currently  you  can stay longer and just pay  a fine when you leave.  However this can be a probelm if you run into  problems or have an accident iwth a car and such.  I can see the day coming when there will be a 6 month  or so visa and after that time period you will have to get your  residency.   But currrently you  really  do not need it  and there are many  folks here  for  many  years with  out getting ther residency.

Again welcome and do read up  on  the  subjec  here.

Bob  K

Welcome to the forums.  Lets start by saying -  many just show up and stay,  when they leave they pay an overstay fine. BUT this is not legal.  Legally you need to apply for  residencia - the basis of this depends on your circumstances.  There is a  topic devoted to just that.

Now that we covered our butts legally by showing you how to do it legally.................  you need to come spend a bit of time here to decide if it is for you.  No matter what any of us say about our lives here, or what are is best etc etc, your experience will be yours.  You need to be here, experience it and see if it is for you longer term!

Read lots - there is tons of info on these threads,  then come and ask us whatever you need to know and we  will do our best to help!!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome. It's interesting that you don't need a visa a such and you can just pay a fine, out of interest how much are the fines ? lets say for 3 year over stay ? Also do you have the link to the posts regarding the visa's ?

Thanks.

Hey dreamtime thanks for the reply, I have been 3 times before am I loved it so i'm pretty sure it's the right place for me. Do you live there at the moment ? Do you have residency of just pay the fines ?

Thanks.

There are a number of threads you should read.  Go to the very top of the page,  Above the title for this thread are links to the forums,  click on Visas, you will find a list of relevant threads, including the Residencia thread.

Warning - one day (no idea when) the gov't will stop allowing people to just overstay and pay a fine.