Moving to Nairobi....so many questions! Any info appreciated =)

Hi All!

My Husband has just been offered a job in Nairobi so we will be moving out there soon. We have 3 kids (2 teens and a 3 month old baby) and as you can imagine I have lots of questions!

Recommended expat schools?
Are there any mum & toddler groups?
Favourite/recommended expat areas in the city? Someone has mentioned Westlands area?
Any clubs or groups to join to help us all meet new people?
Are clothes expensive & is there a good range of quality fashionable clothes for both kids and adults?
Infant milk formula & follow on milk powder - can you get UK brands there? If not any recommendations of locally sold equivalent?

Sorry if any of these questions seem daft but I truly have no idea what to expect...I'm sure I'll be back with more too! Any help with my questions is greatly appreciated =)

Hello Mrs Ceee!

Welcome to Expat-Blog! :)

Your discussion has been moved to forum Nairobi enabling you to communicate effectively with other active members.

Am sure, members will respond to your query soon.

Regards,
Sheetul

Hi MrsCeeee !

Karibuni (welcome) !!

Recommended expat schools - there are plenty of international schools in Kenya (German School, Swedish School, French School, Braeburn School, Hillcrest Preparatory & Secondary, Kenton College, Peponi House School, International School of Kenya (US), etc.

Sorry, I can't recommend any...

Any mum & toddler groups - There are some women groups in Kenya, usually expat wifes group. Never heard of toddler groups ?? But, if your older kids are going to school, you will meet lot of mums at parking school !

Favourite/recommended expat areas in the city? Someone has mentioned Westlands area? - I found Westlands a bit too congested !! Nicest areas for expat are Muthaiga, Lavington and Karen. Muthaiga is the expat district, lot of ambassadors and UN people and very expensive; Karen is the "British" district, lot of KC = Kenyan Cowboys; Lavington is a higher to middle-class district, closer to town, known also for its beautiful houses and green areas. Then cheaper but more congested, Westlands/Parklands and Kilimani.

Any clubs or groups to join to help us all meet new people? - Plenty...

Are clothes expensive & is there a good range of quality fashionable clothes for both kids and adults? The clothes I wear are not expensive since I go to second-hand market (called mitumba) where you can find huge piles of clothes and can get dress between 50 Ksh and 200 Ksh, jeans at 400 Kshs, etc. Otherwise, clothes in shop are expensive but major brands are there (Converse, Nike, Woolworth, etc.) in large shopping malls. There are lots of indian shops also in town selling clothes at fair price.

Infant milk formula & follow on milk powder - can you get UK brands there? If not any recommendations of locally sold equivalent? - What's the UK brands ?? But yes, they are largely available in supermarket (there are four different brands if I remember correctly), I used to take the Nestlé.

Since you have a 3 months old baby, please read this page about vaccination in Kenya (it's mandatory) and discuss about it with your doctor - please read this https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18402 (sadly, the link with vaccination schedule for infant is not working anymore, will look for paper given by our pediatrician and will come back to you)

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT - Well, a very urban, green & modern city in the heart of Africa !!

MrsCeee wrote:

Hi All!

My Husband has just been offered a job in Nairobi so we will be moving out there soon. We have 3 kids (2 teens and a 3 month old baby) and as you can imagine I have lots of questions!

Recommended expat schools?
Are there any mum & toddler groups?
Favourite/recommended expat areas in the city? Someone has mentioned Westlands area?
Any clubs or groups to join to help us all meet new people?
Are clothes expensive & is there a good range of quality fashionable clothes for both kids and adults?
Infant milk formula & follow on milk powder - can you get UK brands there? If not any recommendations of locally sold equivalent?

Sorry if any of these questions seem daft but I truly have no idea what to expect...I'm sure I'll be back with more too! Any help with my questions is greatly appreciated =)

This was a good question! My husband is also offered a job in Nairobi.

Wee have three teenagers. Do you have any tips on schools or activities for them? How do teenagers get around? Can they travel on there on?

Mrs Kialt

Wow lots of very helpul information - thank you very much (and thnk you for putting my post in hte right place:))!! Makes the idea of moving much less daunting, I am certainly looking forward to getting there now :D
peperuka - the mum & toddler groups we have over here are places you go to with yr babies & young children, they have a variety of toys for the kids to play with and the mums have a coffee/tea & chat/make new friends - i guess a weekly coffee morning and kids playdate in one :)
Thanks again, much appreciated!

@Mrs Kialt - How do teenagers get around? Can they travel on there on?

They can during the day, although biking can be dangerous on Kenyan roads. Otherwise, teens are taking matatus (public transport, slightly not safe depending route and time) or taxi (not cheap but safer). Or daddy/mummy have plenty of money, plenty of cars and plenty of drivers, then teens take the driver and parents' car !

Teens usually get bored in Nairobi becoz moving freely is difficult, Nairobi being a large city with poor infrastructure (bad road, bad public transport, etc.)

@MrsCeee - None in Nairobi !!!