Why is PNU short of teachers?...Don't know much about history...

Looking over the comments for Princess Nora University, I've noticed some complaints about the university. I think the underlying problem is the teacher shortage. We are really overworked because most of us are doing the work of 1 and a half teachers, and everyone's really stressed and doing too much.

But then I started thinking, why is PNU short of teachers? And I came up with the following reasons.

No health insurance
Forced unpaid overtime
Hostile management
Official warning letters for common mistakes
Teachers fired too quickly
No copiers, printers or phones for foreign teachers
Teacher cliques and loneliness
Fingerprinting penalties (sign in late, don't get paid)
Late salaries

Don't know if I missed anything. Don't know which of these PNU plans to fix. Don't know how long I'll stick around.

As Sam Cooke said:

Don't know much about history
Don't know much biology
Don't know much about a science book
Don't know much about the French I took
But I do know one and one is two
And I do know I'm leaving PNU soon... :cool:

Haha! Good for you.. Good riddance to rubbish I say!

Mind if i ask if you  are a direct hire or hired through a contractor?

Honestly, it's a rock or a hard place either way. Contractor, your salary is below average and you've a long commute. Their compound is near shops and things, so there're more to do. Contractors from SBC and Edex often have problems getting paid. Some of them left last summer and in the winter break without getting their salaries.

Direct hires often don't get paid for the first 3-4 months, but they get their money in the end. Direct hires have no health care and will never get it because of a loophole, you live by the airport so you're isolated from everyone and everything. Taxis to anywhere are minimum 50 sars one way. For some it's hard living so close to work but so far from everything else.

Sorry to correct you chimchim but I know at least Edex teachers got their salay before they left.  They had to wait for their holiday pay but they got it and bonuses in the end.  I'm not sure about SBC so I won't comment.  Contractors don't usually have issues in getting paid basic salary.  They may get paid a week to 10 days late in the first few months, and, overtime payments always take months to come through, but the basic salary is not usually an issue, at PNU anyway.

I don't know who it was that said overtime is unpaid.  As far as I know, I'm getting 150 sar per hour over 20 hours teaching and I'm not getting home any later.  2 hrs a day is basically 6000 sar a month on top of my usual salary, so bring it on!

I'm Leaving PNU.. This is my little tribute I wrote as I try to sort my feelings....

"Welcome to the Grand illusion
Come on in and see what's happening..Pay the price, get your tickets for the show.."
Fact or fiction..
attempted rape in JD3 in 2012,
Fact or fiction..
robbery in JD6 in 2014,
Fact or fiction..
attempted murder in JC2 in 2015,
Fact or fiction..
"Welcome to the Grand illusion
Come on in and see what's happening..Pay the price, get your tickets for the show.."
Fact or fiction..?
Welcome to Princess Noura... The Grand Illusion !

oh ok. before coming to KSA i was much intimated by PNU but im hearing all bad news about it here on Expat.com

bushra qamar wrote:

oh ok. before coming to KSA i was much intimated by PNU but im hearing all bad news about it here on Expat.com

You were what.....intimated?

I think she meant "intimidated".

Desert_storm wrote:

I think she meant "intimidated".

:shy:thanks:

Well, hearing and knowing of all these horrid stories and remarks from people who have worked, and are working in PNU, i came to this conclusion that answers the question: "Why is PNU short of Teachers...?"

It is because :
They (PNU) have been hiring people.
Why is that?
They cannot (or should not) hire people, if they intend to treat 'em like animals....  :D

Kidding aside...all the warnings, and informations were laid bare...so, it's really up the person to take.  :top:

Dear I am applying to PNU for job....

Hows environment & condition of PNU?

Your message scared me.

I am from India.

Please reply.

gudia

PNU is NOT a safe or healthy place to work. They don't care about teachers' comfort or safety.

Here is just a short list:

If there's heavy rain, they cancel classes for students, and Saudi management goes home. But the foreign teachers MUST stay for 7 hours. Then, at 1:54 pm, they send you an email saying that you can go home at 2:00. All this time, it's been raining and the streets are flooded and dangerous, but, no, you have to stay

Today (April 1) is another PERFECT example. There's been a heavy sandstorm all day (check the news). But they still made the teachers stay. We watched the dust storm get worse and worse, and then we had to walk (or ride) home in a thick cloud of dust. It was a NIGHTMARE.  But Saudi management left at 1:30 as usual.

Health care: There is NO HEALTH INSURANCE if you get sick and no place to get treated for illness. You go to a hospital and pay almost 1000 SAR sometimes and no sick leave. But they don't care.

The fire alarms go off every week, so you will never know if there is a real fire.

There are no windows and NO FRESH AIR in any building. There are glass walls, but you are sealed in and the only air you get is from the vents. People are always getting sick.

The bathrooms are always dirty and crowded, and the floors are always, always wet. Students constantly use teacher bathrooms and make them filthy, but management doesn't care.

And this is the short list!

'PNU is NOT a safe or comfortable place to work. They don't care about teacher's health or safety.

Here is just a short list:

If there's heavy rain, they cancel classes for students, and Saudi management goes home. But the foreign teachers MUST stay for 7 hours. Then, at 1:54 pm, they send you an email saying that you can go home at 2:00. All this time, it's been raining and the streets are flooded and dangerous, but, no, you have to stay

Today (April 1) is another PERFECT example. There's been a heavy sandstorm all day (check the news). But they still made teachers stay. We watched the dust storm get worse and worse, and then we had to walk (or ride) home in  a thick cloud of dust. It was a NIGHTMARE.  But Saudi management left at 1:30 as usual.

Health care: There is NO HEALTH INSURANCE if you get sick and no place to get treated for illness. You go to a hospital and pay almost 1000 SAR sometimes and no sick leave. But they don't care..

The fire alarms go off every week, so you will never know if there is a real fire.

There are no windows and NO FRESH AIR in any building. There are glass walls, but you are sealed in and the only air you get is from the vents. People are always getting sick.

The bathrooms are always dirty and crowded, and the floors are always, always wet. Students constantly use teacher bathrooms and make them filthy, but management doesn't care.

And this is the short list!'

I can attest to that this is all true and not exaggerated in the slightest.  Umm... Why is PNU short of teachers??? duh!!!

Gudia wrote:

Dear I am applying to PNU for job....

Hows environment & condition of PNU?

Your message scared me.

I am from India.

Please reply.

gudia

Gudia, here's a great summary of PNU environment and conditions. A teacher who quit wrote this last semester to the Vice Dean. Too bad things only got worse for the teachers after that. Anyway, here's the first part of the letter.

" Dear Dr. H-----,

Thank you for meeting with me today.

As per your request, I will reiterate the issues discussed today in writing, explaining the reasons for my resignation and elaborating the reasons why I find the present teaching conditions on the LEAD program to be unacceptable.

As qualified and experienced teachers, we are prepared to face a number of challenges, including large class sizes, heavy teaching loads, multi-level students, issues with technology, poor classroom conditions, poorly conceived or inappropriate curricula or materials, limited or lack of creative authority, issues with student motivation, administrative overload, and more. We are not, however, prepared to face every single one of the issues all at once.  This is too much to ask of anyone and in fact verges on teacher abuse."