Used Car

HI there,

where is a good place to go and test-drive/buy a used car? We situated Black River/Tamarin.

Chow,
Nikki

Hi, there are actually quite a few places to go for used car shopping. There's one near Jumbo Phoenix, couple of them on Moka Rd in Port Louis... even the dealerships at Pailles (mostly european) sell recons. Depends on the make you're looking for, whether european or japanese... But make sure that you check couple of them before you close any deals and be aware of very low mileage cars, they could be rigged. I think your best choice would be the recons from the dealerships, they're a bit more pricy though.

thanks for the advice!!!

Hey Keno,

There are a few dealers in Port Louis too near the Honda Showroom,along with a couple in Quatre Bornes and Rosehill.
Though Dealers are a good option, it saves you the hassle of searching, doing a little search on your own to find sellers works out better and cheaper. I was also looking for a car when i came, and was initially looking through dealers, but eventually got around buying one directly from a local after searching online ads in newspapers (most newspapers are in French, but you've online versions which the browser can translate for you, thats wat i did) Dealer's tend to have their cut, and push their older inventory through. Also, once they know you are an Expat, there is very limited scope for negotiation. Whereas, with the locals, there is more chance of the same, and if you get your car checked from a mechanic b4 buying, it should all be good.
Hope this helps

Cheers
Musheer

Musheer, Thanks for the advice. I think at this point (because we don't know french yet), we will probably have to buy from a dealer. We will take a drive around your suggested places and see what the best deal we can get is.

Cheers, Keno

Hi Keno,

All the best :)
FYI, I dont know french either, I just used my google chrome browser to translate the page :)

Cheers,
Musheer

keno wrote:

... (because we don't know french yet)

Hi Keno,
Don't worry.: many people speak English in Mauritius!
Cheers
Arlette

try checking classified.lexpress.mu or orange.mu and dig further

Hi Keno,

Not sure if you found a car yet but we are selling ours if your interested ? Send me a message :)

In Mauritius, a Japanese car would better, because availability of spare parts which are relatively cheap compared to a European one.

Nissan Sunny are the best cars in Mauritius. Also if you need someone to check out your car before you buy it send me a message.

[Moderated]